M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) Schumacher's still got it

03-13-2010, 12:14 PM   #1
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

Schumacher's still got it

Well, it is official. He's still got it. 3 tenths off the pace of Rosberg today... one for every year he's been away from the sport.

Let's be realistic here, some people expected him to show up and break his old lap record (which well, can't be done, but you get the gist). The guy came back from retirement, not even a sabbatical or a bad contract year, but a 3 year RETIREMENT, and he's only .3 off his team mate's pace. Look at the difference between Webber and Vettel today, Massa and ALONSO, or Hamilton and Button.

Look at how Bad Badoer was last year, and he had probably tested more recently than Schumacher. Or at what Fisico did last year with Ferrari as well (read: nothing). He never even came close to Kimi, and the guy was coming from some solid racing with his Force India and a long F1 career. Don't get me wrong, I always thought Fisi was underrated, but the facts are the facts.

To top it off, Schumy is annoyed by his one lap performance! Which just means he will continue to get better throughout the race/season, which he was always good at.
Also, he missed out on the one-lap wonder so far, but his experience WILL show throughout the race. As I said before, half-joking half-serious, some drivers will let him pass them out of straight fear and respect.

I'm a newborn Schumacher fan, and I've made my case.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, Xclass

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Good to see him back. F1 hasn't been the same since he left.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 06:43 PM   #3
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

He's got more natural driving skill than any driver out there. It's instinct with him. I can see him winning many races this year and finishing near or at the top. If they can reduce the understeer on that car so it suits his style more, he'll be as tough to beat as ever.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 06:55 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

The STIG does it again!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
Zoli007
Professional lurker
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, 2016 MCB M3 sold =(

I've got $150 between 3 friends riding on Schumacher winning the drivers championship this year. He will get there, not quite there yet, but I know how he is, he will be in the hunt for sure.

To slightly credit Fisichela, the Ferrari was completely different to drive than what he was used to, and without the testing, its hard to come to grips with something completely new in such short time. That and the F60 was an absolute piece of garbage as described by both Massa and Raikonnen.
      03-14-2010, 04:38 AM   #6
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

it was. don't get me wrong. I've got nothing against Fisichella; I always liked him and thought he was talented but never given a chance. Kinda strengthens my point, then.

Can anybody wait for this GP to start????
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 07:40 AM   #7
Schumacher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

You can never take the Champion away from a Champion.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 02:10 PM   #8
Dwill335i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i White/Beige

I think people will be OK with Nico beating Michael for a while, but I think the expectation is that Michael will eventually be faster. If Nico keeps beating Michael all season though, then that might be a problem. He's doing great for a 41 year old guy, no doubt, but I think there are some very high expectations for him. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.