M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Turning off car- interior led lights on still

02-10-2020, 11:06 PM   #1
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

Turning off car- interior led lights on still

So I usually don’t lock my car when it’s parked in the garage. I have been trying to figure out the best way to turn off the car. Might sound silly but the car sometimes completely shuts off with no issues and sometimes feels shutoff but interior led and music continues playing for awhile before shutting off.
Like 20 mins before it shuts down. Figure that’s not good for the battery.
Also feels like car play might causing the issue

Anybody else experiencing the same
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 11:24 PM   #2
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Ehloo - yes I have noticed this too. If I drive into my garage, hit the engine off button and then exit the vehicle within a relatively short period of time, everything immediately shuts off. If I hit the engine off button and then remain in the vehicle on a phone call and listen to the end of a music track, then upon exiting the vehicle everything remains on as you point out.

In the settings I have selected auto lock the vehicle after walking away, so as soon as my car remote is far enough away it auto locks and shuts everything down.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 11:26 PM   #3
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Ours is set to automatically lock/unlock based on proximity. So it just locks in the garage when I am a few feet away.
That turns off the the car right away (minus the dash cam)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 11:47 PM   #4
Ehloo
Captain
Rep

I usually leave all my stuff in the car including my keys. Hoping I was doing something wrong

Crud. Always feels like I forgot to turn off the car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Ours is set to automatically lock/unlock based on proximity. So it just locks in the garage when I am a few feet away.
That turns off the the car right away (minus the dash cam)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 04:02 AM   #5
NOMRW8NG
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
I usually leave all my stuff in the car including my keys. Hoping I was doing something wrong

Crud. Always feels like I forgot to turn off the car
My guess would be that leaving the key inside the car is the cause.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2020, 09:28 AM   #6
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

The newer BMW since G Chassis, you will need to wait a second after turning off the engine to open the door to have everything shut-off.
If you open the door to fast, iDrive system will stays on for 20-30 minutes.
And since you have left a key inside the car, that's what causing the light to stays on.

If that happened, you need to close and open the door (driver side) or press and hold the volume button to turn off the iDrive system.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 2
      02-12-2020, 12:28 PM   #7
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
So I usually don’t lock my car when it’s parked in the garage. I have been trying to figure out the best way to turn off the car. Might sound silly but the car sometimes completely shuts off with no issues and sometimes feels shutoff but interior led and music continues playing for awhile before shutting off.
Like 20 mins before it shuts down. Figure that’s not good for the battery.
Also feels like car play might causing the issue

Anybody else experiencing the same
R33 said it, but I usually hold the volume to turn everything off.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 06:55 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
I had the auto lock initially enabled but disabled it when the car was at the detailer for PPF and ceramic coating. Keep forgetting to re-enable it (heading to the garage after this posting to do so).

What I've learned is always shutoff the car before opening the door and all is well. In the few cases over the past several weeks in which I open the door before shutting off the car the easy answer is once the driver's door is closed (audio system still playing) just touch the comfort access mark on the handle to lock it and everything shuts down. Auto lock will do the same.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2020, 09:41 PM   #9
Ehloo
Captain
Rep

So turning the car off and waiting for a couple of secs will turn everything off. Takes a little getting used too but finally no questions of my battery is going to die
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
I had the auto lock initially enabled but disabled it when the car was at the detailer for PPF and ceramic coating. Keep forgetting to re-enable it (heading to the garage after this posting to do so).

What I've learned is always shutoff the car before opening the door and all is well. In the few cases over the past several weeks in which I open the door before shutting off the car the easy answer is once the driver's door is closed (audio system still playing) just touch the comfort access mark on the handle to lock it and everything shuts down. Auto lock will do the same.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 12:14 AM   #10
Blink2814
Rep
Drives: 650 convertible

I had this same question, Ben at RG Sport clarified. In the settings, there is an option to shut off the vehicle when the door is opened. I thought it was going to turn off the engine when the door was opened so I didn’t check the box. However, this box you check means it shuts off the infotainment stuff once the engine is already off. So check that box in the settings and let us know if that solves your problem. I too like to leave the keys in the car when I get out. Problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 10:16 AM   #11
tracythorne
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 850 GC

Talking

This post cracked me up. For several weeks I had wanted to post the same question, but I was too embarrassed to admit I could't figure out how to turn off a car.

I finally broke down and searched through the owner's manual, which lays out there various "states" of the systems and different ways to trigger them.

I now shut off the engine with the start/stop button, and then press the idrive power/volume button to shut off the systems.

it's all good.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 10:21 AM   #12
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracythorne View Post

This post cracked me up. For several weeks I had wanted to post the same question, but I was too embarrassed to admit I could't figure out how to turn off a car.

I finally broke down and searched through the owner's manual, which lays out there various "states" of the systems and different ways to trigger them.

I now shut off the engine with the start/stop button, and then press the idrive power/volume button to shut off the systems.

it's all good.
pushing the volume button is the best way to turn everything off. with engines off.

If you ever need to "reboot" your system; while the engine is on, push the volume button down for 2 minutes and it will reboot everything.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 11:18 AM   #13
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Merely shutting off the engine and locking it powers everything down. I use the comfort access feature to auto-lock the car as I walk away so this behavioral oddity we all see is moot now.

On the Idrive reboot, I've seen so many variations of how long you need to hold the button with some folks claiming it's a different reboot if you hold it longer... so I tried to test it. I couldn't discern any differences between holding the power button down for ~30 seconds which triggers a reboot and doing so for well over a minute—all it seemed to do was consider it another 30-second hold and rebooted again.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 04:20 PM   #14
Motorin Mark
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Rhodonite Silver

[QUOTE=limeypride;26201736]I use the comfort access feature to auto-lock the car as I walk away so this behavioral oddity we all see is moot now.

Can you explain exactly how I get this to work/activated? Thanks. I have comfort access on my M5.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 04:25 PM   #15
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorin Mark
Can you explain exactly how I get this to work/activated? Thanks. I have comfort access on my M5.
Sadly, it isn't available on the M5s (at least, it wasn't there on my 2020 M5 with Live Cockpit).

Last edited by limeypride; 05-25-2020 at 10:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 10:20 PM   #16
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=limeypride;26219625]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorin Mark View Post
Sadly, it isn't available on the M5s (at least, it wasn't there on my 2020 M5 with Live Cockpit).
I believe this is an iDrive 7 setting and unless the M5s have that (I'm clueless to the fact) then it will not work. That said I have my M850i set to the same configuration so no matter what I do, i.e., open the driver door before shutting off, etc. as I walk away the car automatically locks the doors and shuts down iDrive. I sometimes grin internally as the M850i does its magic considering I hear it shut off the the glorious B&W audio which is blasting as I walk away.
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50
      05-24-2020, 10:29 PM   #17
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I believe this is an iDrive 7 setting and unless the M5s have that (I'm clueless to the fact) then it will not work. That said I have my M850i set to the same configuration so no matter what I do, i.e., open the driver door before shutting off, etc. as I walk away the car automatically locks the doors and shuts down iDrive. I sometimes grin internally as the M850i does its magic considering I hear it shut off the the glorious B&W audio which is blasting as I walk away.
The M5s have Live Cockpit/iDrive 7 (well, the 2020s do) but it didn't have that feature.

Last edited by limeypride; 05-25-2020 at 10:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 08:21 PM   #18
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=limeypride;26220758]
Quote:
The M5s have Live Cockpit/iDrive 7 (well, the 2020s are) but it didn't have that feature.
Interesting as one would think that all iDrive7 software for this type of functionality would be the same across any vehicle with it installed. I get that some features are option specific and hardware wise this feature just requires Comfort Access. So in theory iDrive just needs to recognize it's available on the car and present the configuration option accordingly within the UI.

Of course this all assumes that BMW recognizes the fact that a universal code base with the intelligence to adjust accordingly to the hardware available is a best practice in the software world. Then again we all know they can't fight their way out of a paper bag when it comes to software proficiency.

Did your 2020 M5 with iDrive7 have the option to automatically collapse the mirrors when locked? My wife's 2017 X5 with iDrive 6 does not have that option yet the mirrors are powered and it has Comfort Access as well. There is an iDrive update for it but reading the software release notes it just fixes things that are not broken for her (e.g. iOS connectivity as she has a Pixel 2).
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 08:23 PM   #19
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting as one would think that all iDrive7 software for this type of functionality would be the same across any vehicle with it installed. I get that some features are option specific and hardware wise this feature just requires Comfort Access. So in theory iDrive just needs to recognize it's available on the car and present the configuration option accordingly within the UI.

Of course this all assumes that BMW recognizes the fact that a universal code base with the intelligence to adjust accordingly to the hardware available is a best practice in the software world. Then again we all know they can't fight their way out of a paper bag when it comes to software proficiency.

Did your 2020 M5 with iDrive7 have the option to automatically collapse the mirrors when locked? My wife's 2017 X5 with iDrive 6 does not have that option yet the mirrors are powered and it has Comfort Access as well. There is an iDrive update for it but reading the software release notes it just fixes things that are not broken for her (e.g. iOS connectivity as she has a Pixel 2).
It could fold wing mirrors, yes. The earlier models had that, too.

Last edited by limeypride; 05-25-2020 at 10:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 10:25 PM   #20
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

[QUOTE=bloozemanAZ;26224113]
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post

Does her psngr mirror auto dim?

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 10:54 PM   #21
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Does her psngr mirror auto dim?
// Guys: if you can fixup the quoting, that would be helpful. I think the forum went nuts for a bit.

I think so but I wouldn't swear to it.
Appreciate 1
RJC-11279.50
      05-25-2020, 10:59 PM   #22
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

[QUOTE=bloozemanAZ;26224113]
Quote:

Quote:
// Guys: if you can fixup the quoting, that would be helpful. I think the forum went nuts for a bit.

I think so but I wouldn't swear to it.
Agreed, as I was quoting Bloozeman and Ill try again.
EDIT: tried again same thing (weird double quote LOL)

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible

Last edited by RJC-1; 05-25-2020 at 11:04 PM..
Appreciate 0