M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion How to change map view in instrument cluster?

02-16-2020, 07:17 PM   #1
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Question How to change map view in instrument cluster?

In our Audi we can change the map view/zoom in-out etc, can it be
done on the 8's?

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 09:12 PM   #2
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Nope. I guess they put the map there as an afterthought to fill in the dead space. Seems pretty pointless to me.
      02-16-2020, 11:18 PM   #3
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post
Nope. I guess they put the map there as an afterthought to fill in the dead space. Seems pretty pointless to me.
Totally agree. Fills up the space but considering the option on the main iDrive screen to enable split view and have the map on it as well. I've had this setup for my profile on my wife's X5 since day 1 and did the same with the M850i. A bit trickier with the M850i as by default it wants two "widgets" on the right (Media always is my left side) so just had to nuke both and then create the map widget. My only bitch is the map widget auto scales vs I'd prefer to have it zoomed. Guessing I can override that in the core map screen settings but haven't pursued it.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2020, 11:24 PM   #4
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

I did some perusing of the owner's manual and it says NAV and entertainment has it's own version, either available at the parts dept or in-car. Has anyone gone into the in-car version to double check there's no adj's? I'll do so next time I'm out for a spin.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 12:34 AM   #5
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
I did some perusing of the owner's manual and it says NAV and entertainment has it's own version, either available at the parts dept or in-car. Has anyone gone into the in-car version to double check there's no adj's? I'll do so next time I'm out for a spin.
The wife is binge watching season 3 of the Crown on Netflix so I have some time on my hands given that is not my cup of tea (pun intended). Rocked out to some great B&W sounds in the process of going through all the navigation, central display area, etc.

Finally have disengaged auto zoom in the Nav but may re-engage as when truly relying on it vs just my split screen view auto zoom is likely the best choice. As far as I can see, nothing in the navigation settings impact the central display area whatsoever. For the central display the options are limited: Off, Map view, Route preview and Assisted Driving View. The last option seems useless given once you enable the Assisted Driving View it will automatically trump the map as per my experience when full Driving Assistance is activated (basically the checked box on the screen of options).

However, through the exercise I may have found the setting to stop the nuisance in the HUD that flashes the speed limit when I'm above it (which is all the time ). Hoping that deselecting "warn when speeding" under "speed limit assistance" ceases that annoyance once and for all. I appreciate the PSL in the HUD but having it flash every time I exceed it is annoying.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-02-2023, 10:06 PM   #6
Kponti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8C comp

I cannot get the sport view to stick. I select sport view and it goes back to the road view when I exit that screen.
Any ideas? 2023 M8 coupe
Appreciate 0