M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion AC Issues ??

08-08-2020, 05:22 PM   #133
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
You shouldn't as so far all data points to the cars with a S63 engine vs the N63 which is in your 2020 GC and my Coupe. I've only had 2 BMWs in the garage and the AC on the 2020 M850i Coupe blows away the AC in my wife's 2017 X5. In fact during days like we're having this week in Phoenix (it hit 118 yesterday) I wouldn't even consider using the wife's X5 whatsoever.
That's comforting to hear for us 850 drivers but I can't imagine the N63 would have different AC components vs the S63...I think its more of a production date issue (M8's came out after many 850's) and that's why I'm trying to learn the date/serial # range of affected vehicles.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible

Last edited by RJC-1; 08-08-2020 at 07:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2020, 09:42 PM   #134
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Quote:
You shouldn't as so far all data points to the cars with a S63 engine vs the N63 which is in your 2020 GC and my Coupe. I've only had 2 BMWs in the garage and the AC on the 2020 M850i Coupe blows away the AC in my wife's 2017 X5. In fact during days like we're having this week in Phoenix (it hit 118 yesterday) I wouldn't even consider using the wife's X5 whatsoever.
That's comforting to hear for us 850 drivers but I can't imagine the N63 would have different AC components vs the S63...I think its more of a production date issue (M8's came out after many 850's) and that's why I'm trying to learn the date/serial # range of affected vehicles.
That too was my initial thought, i.e., the 8 Series has to share the same AC components across all variants. However, as details emerged in this thread the issues appear to be tied to the S63 engine as it is not just the M8s but also X5/X6Ms that have had issues as well. No matter what I'm keeping my fingers crossed and so far the M850i's AC has been flawless even in the 115 plus temps over the past couple of weeks.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2020, 10:18 PM   #135
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That too was my initial thought, i.e., the 8 Series has to share the same AC components across all variants. However, as details emerged in this thread the issues appear to be tied to the S63 engine as it is not just the M8s but also X5/X6Ms that have had issues as well. No matter what I'm keeping my fingers crossed and so far the M850i's AC has been flawless even in the 115 plus temps over the past couple of weeks.
If we could only get the TSB/range we'd all know for sure...anyone here have theirs in for service/waiting on parts now? If so can you pls ask your SA.

I'm glad your is running strong, how many miles and what's your production date?

Appreciate 1
      08-08-2020, 10:39 PM   #136
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
If we could only get the TSB/range we'd all know for sure...anyone here have theirs in for service/waiting on parts now? If so can you pls ask your SA.

I'm glad your is running strong, how many miles and what's your production date?
The build completion date was late October 2019 and I took delivery in early December. Thanks to COVID-19 the car has only about 3800 miles on it.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2020, 10:54 PM   #137
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The build completion date was late October 2019 and I took delivery in early December. Thanks to COVID-19 the car has only about 3800 miles on it.
Mine was a June 19 build, perhaps that's why we're ok thus far...don't feel bad about the low miles/usage, mine only has 900! Took it out last night for a spin around some of our community's roads with no homes, what a rocket

Appreciate 1
      08-09-2020, 02:33 AM   #138
BiGFather
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive Mperformance

Hmm its sad.. also X5/X6M and M5 having problems with AC.

As I mentioned in other threads, it ended by changing the compressor in one of x5ms to solve the problem :-/

I am waiting for x5m so I hope in new ones it will be solved.. because as it seems its really wide spread problem
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2020, 06:30 PM   #139
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilandgas View Post
Someone in the 5-series forum pointed me to your thread. I am having the same exact AC issues with my 2020 M550. The dealer has been trying to solve this for 5 days now and is clueless about what to do. I have told them if they can't fix it, I expect BMW to buyback the car. I get colder air blowing from the AC in my 911 C4S with the top down versus the M550 with all windows up and the AC set on 62
As written above, this issue is not S63 dependant...

Appreciate 1
      08-09-2020, 06:50 PM   #140
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
As written above, this issue is not S63 dependant...
No surprise that with 7 pages of posts I missed one. Hence, with at least a single M550i in play to your point moves this issue away from being S63 dependent. So just like the oil service bulletin in the 8-series it's likely tied to AC parts used during specific build date ranges (as per your recent posts) and aligns with one of my earliest posts in the thread.

Quote:
A quick bit of research indicates BMW OEMs their AC parts (which makes sense as there is no sense to try and build that yourself in today's world). I also have to assume that for the 8-series they are universal components or otherwise BMW needs a lesson in volume manufacturing. Assuming the lack of lesson needed I'm guessing there was a bad "batch" of compressors, etc. that went into a series of builds. Do you have the build dates for your original M8 vs the new one that still needed the swap out?
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2020, 07:00 PM   #141
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No surprise that with 7 pages of posts I missed one. Hence, with at least a single M550i in play to your point moves this issue away from being S63 dependent. So just like the oil service bulletin in the 8-series it's likely tied to AC parts used during specific build date ranges (as per your recent posts) and aligns with one of my earliest posts in the thread.
Wasn't trying to call you out, and wish it were 100% S63 related. Hopefully our builds dodged this AC bullet.

Appreciate 1
      08-09-2020, 07:09 PM   #142
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Wasn't trying to call you out, and wish it were 100% S63 related. Hopefully our builds dodged this AC bullet.
Absolutely no worries and I didn't take it as such but rather the overall spirit of the forum to share information in order to help others. Knock on wood (too bad there isn't any in my M850i to do so ) we dodged the AC bullet. I'm guessing at 3800 miles I have considering the majority of the issues posted in the thread (unless I've missed another one ) it is either instantaneous or crops up within a week or 2 of driving.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2020, 07:15 PM   #143
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely no worries and I didn't take it as such but rather the overall spirit of the forum to share information in order to help others. Knock on wood (too bad there isn't any in my M850i to do so ) we dodged the AC bullet. I'm guessing at 3800 miles I have considering the majority of the issues posted in the thread (unless I've missed another one ) it is either instantaneous or crops up within a week or 2 of driving.
The weird thing is I had an AC issue (not blowing cold) very early on but it resolved by resetting via the mmi, since then all good but with only 900 miles I can't say for sure. Yours appears to be solid. Just wish we could get the TSB and we'd all know for sure.

Appreciate 1
      08-09-2020, 07:51 PM   #144
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The weird thing is I had an AC issue (not blowing cold) very early on but it resolved by resetting via the mmi, since then all good but with only 900 miles I can't say for sure. Yours appears to be solid. Just wish we could get the TSB and we'd all know for sure.
noushy posted earlier in the thread that his glorious M8C had some issues back in May with blowing some warm air but after a software update all was well. His M8C landed about the same time as my M850i but of course here in Phoenix I was already using the AC in February as my climate rules dictate 68 degrees and above kicks it in plus level 2 on the drivers side seat cooling feature. I actually had a laugh when setting that as normally my choice would have been 75 or above but the highest setting was 68.

I guess my point is for all those who picked up an 8-series over the winter time with the US summer in full bloom for a couple of months now the AC issue should have reared its ugly head or is not existent in their builds. My case in point is I actually mentioned the issue to my wife back in June as we started our 5 and a half hour journey out to San Diego to visit our son. She looked at me with what can be typically described as a WTF? quizzical expression. I of course said "don't worry I think we'll be fine". Knock on wood the AC performed flawlessly on that roughly 800 mile round trip through the deserts of AZ and CA.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2020, 08:43 PM   #145
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

Quote:
Quote:
noushy posted earlier in the thread that his glorious M8C had some issues back in May with blowing some warm air but after a software update all was well. His M8C landed about the same time as my M850i but of course here in Phoenix I was already using the AC in February as my climate rules dictate 68 degrees and above kicks it in plus level 2 on the drivers side seat cooling feature. I actually had a laugh when setting that as normally my choice would have been 75 or above but the highest setting was 68.

I guess my point is for all those who picked up an 8-series over the winter time with the US summer in full bloom for a couple of months now the AC issue should have reared its ugly head or is not existent in their builds. My case in point is I actually mentioned the issue to my wife back in June as we started our 5 and a half hour journey out to San Diego to visit our son. She looked at me with what can be typically described as a WTF? quizzical expression. I of course said "don't worry I think we'll be fine". Knock on wood the AC performed flawlessly on that roughly 800 mile round trip through the deserts of AZ and CA.
Totally I suspect since the AC is electric driven BMW has some control over the power loss for fuel efficiency. The AC on the X3M could chill a stadium it is so strong. The M8 when set to 65 gets so cold my fingers get numb from holding the steering wheel I have to aim the vents away but not as forceful as the X3. The X5M is so so.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2020, 09:39 PM   #146
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
Totally I suspect since the AC is electric driven BMW has some control over the power loss for fuel efficiency. The AC on the X3M could chill a stadium it is so strong. The M8 when set to 65 gets so cold my fingers get numb from holding the steering wheel I have to aim the vents away but not as forceful as the X3. The X5M is so so.

Noushy
So bazaar. Made by the same company, same components?

Appreciate 1
      08-09-2020, 09:40 PM   #147
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

Quote:
Quote:

Noushy
So bazaar. Made by the same company, same components?
I think US made cars have US compressors, something they are known to make very well.
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2020, 09:43 PM   #148
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think US made cars have US compressors, something they are known to make very well.
It would be interesting to know for sure/why one system works so well and the other is meh...

Appreciate 1
      08-10-2020, 11:27 AM   #149
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Quote:
It would be interesting to know for sure/why one system works so well and the other is meh...
You guys make me glad I have the convertible. Drop the top and it's instantly cooler.
Knock on wood, I've not had any problems with the AC.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2020, 07:41 PM   #150
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
You guys make me glad I have the convertible. Drop the top and it's instantly cooler.
What's your prod date?

Appreciate 1
      08-10-2020, 11:29 PM   #151
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What's your prod date?
May 2019.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2020, 11:35 PM   #152
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
May 2019.
Interesting, yours is May 19, mine June of 19, and Bluesman is 10/19 and so far it appears we're all good. If we keep track of these dates we can figure out when things went wrong

Appreciate 2
      08-11-2020, 11:32 AM   #153
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
May 2019.
Interesting, yours is May 19, mine June of 19, and Bluesman is 10/19 and so far it appears we're all good. If we keep track of these dates we can figure out when things went wrong
That's a great Idea, good thought.
Appreciate 2
RJC-11290.50
      08-11-2020, 06:30 PM   #154
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
All M850's though. Our M8 is Sept. 19 and has issues. While more BMW models appears to be affected (a lot of cars according to our SA), the 850's appear to be spared.
Appreciate 2