M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Automatic window closing

12-29-2023, 10:12 AM   #1
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Automatic window closing

...or the lack thereof!
I was parking in a friend's driveway this morning and lowered the passenger window as someone wanted to speak to me.
It was a very tight and unfamiliar location, plus it was in the pouring rain, so I got the car parked and dashed into the house, pausing only briefly to touch the door handle, hear the usual locking sounds and check that the mirrors had folded in.
Very fortunately my friend's neighbour called about ten minutes later to say that my passenger window was fully open!
First thing I did after closing it was to go into general settings, but nothing there or anywhere else I could find in the system.
So, on the principle of only if all else fails! I eventually found that there's no way you can set them to automatically close on a single button press on the key or a door handle touch. Closest you can get to it is to press and hold the key fob lock button, which works fine, but you still have to remember that you've left a window open. A mistake I shall endeavour not to repeat!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 01:54 PM   #2
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Cancel the above.
I've just had a reply from someone on the UK current 3 series forum to say that it's deliberately designed that way in case you want to leave the windows slightly open in hot weather, especially if you're leaving a pet in the car.
It was just a bit of a shock to think that, but for my friend's neighbour letting us know, the inside would have ended up very wet indeed, as it didn't stop chucking it down until much later in the morning - reckon I owe him a decent bottle of wine at the least!
I'll have a look at the BMW App on my iPhone to see if you can set up an alert but I'll be surprised if there's anything there.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 05:38 PM   #3
m3_08
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 conv, IX M60, model Y

not in BMW app or set up, but Tesla has it to close windows when you leave the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 10:05 AM   #4
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
I had Them coded on my m3 to roll up with the key fob. Haven’t done any coding yet in the m8 to know if still available.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 10:48 AM   #5
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo View Post
I had Them coded on my m3 to roll up with the key fob. Haven’t done any coding yet in the m8 to know if still available.
As I discovered after I'd , it closes the windows if you press and hold the fob lock button, trick is to remember that you've left them open!
Shame there's no option to select alert notifications via the phone app but not in the least surprised.
If I leave my Mac Book anywhere else but my own house I get a phone alert so you'd hope that BMW could hire a rocket scientist to figure that one out.
But I guess there's always the possibility that it never rains in Germany!
Appreciate 0