M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion CF Led Steering Wheel

03-18-2023, 02:40 PM   #23
Msparta
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6M

My personally experience with m performance steering wheels - I owned many over the years and currently own the bmw led race wheel for my m6… is that most that have the stripe ether painted or in dyed leather will fade badly and look like total $h1t in short time…

Recommend going the route of no stripe design if possible to keep the thing looking Prestine long term.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 08:13 PM   #24
lude637a
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: x7 and M8GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msparta View Post
My personally experience with m performance steering wheels - I owned many over the years and currently own the bmw led race wheel for my m6… is that most that have the stripe ether painted or in dyed leather will fade badly and look like total $h1t in short time…

Recommend going the route of no stripe design if possible to keep the thing looking Prestine long term.
Will analyze it when I receive it but I think it should hold better since the stripe isn’t on leather but instead on the carbon. Will see how it was applied and worse case, ima ceramic it like I did everything else in my car.
Appreciate 1
Msparta312.00
      03-22-2023, 09:09 AM   #25
__AD__
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850ix GC

You can set the HUD to sport mode which brings up an RPM band in lieu of any LEDs that will blind you.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 07:46 PM   #26
lude637a
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Very happy w/the work from Carismo and for r33_RGSport for making sure all functions are working.

Confirmed: Active Steering and all Functions to this works like OEM. I’ve tested this already myself, along w/r33_RGSport. It was a bit tricky but Ben figured it out as always. That’s why I need r33_RGSport to problem solve these riddles/mysteries.

Volume Control, control buttons all work.

Heating: works but we are trying to see how we are able to turn it off. Button currently turns on the heat and we need to figure out how to get the button to also deactivate the heat. Not sure if it is a programming thing but will check w/Carismo.

Overall- I’m very happy with the Wheel and the install.

Also- for those who have the mad trace magnetic steering wheel, we found a way to make it less noisy. Added a thin cushion to lower the click noise. Now it’s just right.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
r33_RGSport12971.00
Tenac4538.50
Volcanic168.00
Msparta312.00
kris1858555.00
sullic72.00
      04-03-2023, 08:05 PM   #27
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by lude637a View Post
Very happy w/the work from Carismo and for r33_RGSport for making sure all functions are working.

Confirmed: Active Steering and all Functions to this works like OEM. I’ve tested this already myself, along w/r33_RGSport. It was a bit tricky but Ben figured it out as always. That’s why I need r33_RGSport to problem solve these riddles/mysteries.

Heating: works but we are trying to see how we are able to turn it off. Button currently turns on the heat and we need to figure out how to get the button to also deactivate the heat. Not sure if it is a programming thing but will check w/Carismo.

Also- for those who have the mad trace magnetic steering wheel, we found a way to make it less noisy. Added a thin cushion to lower the click noise. Now it’s just right.
Thank you for your business as always and always trusting my low level skill.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 08:39 PM   #28
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8cs

Garage List
Quote:

Also- for those who have the mad trace magnetic steering wheel, we found a way to make it less noisy. Added a thin cushion to lower the click
Really impressed with that wheel. Great choice.

What type of material did you add to the shifters. I have them too and they are definitely distractingly loudish.
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12971.00
lude637a415.00
      04-03-2023, 08:49 PM   #29
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8cs

Garage List
Quote:
I didn’t because the led display with this steering wheel shape had the iconic “China factory “ font and I can’t stand to have that be part of the car. The font would aesthetically bother me for days.

Secondly- after consulting with several people and even r33_RGSport , we’ve agreed that it’s a bit tacky to do the led display even though it is kinda cool.
It’s not for kinda cool or anything like that, it’s for the track when you’re glued to road in front. I had one in my M4 and got very accustomed to it, but it was the BMW model and you could just turn it off when not wanting it on. Yes, a distraction for sure for everyday use. The M4 was a manual tranny and it was necessary especially when wearing a helmet. Not necessary with M8 V8 roar, auto tranny in comp mode, and M mode HUD.

Anyways, you didn’t say anything about the track, so everything I just said is for naught. Good choice on the wheel!
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12971.00
lude637a415.00
      04-03-2023, 11:23 PM   #30
lude637a
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Thrillride View Post
Really impressed with that wheel. Great choice.

What type of material did you add to the shifters. I have them too and they are definitely distractingly loudish.
Ben used velt tape I believe. Definitely made a difference. It’s not silent but it sounds better, much like a nice mechanical keyboard (brown cherry keys).
Appreciate 2
      04-03-2023, 11:24 PM   #31
lude637a
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Thrillride View Post
It’s not for kinda cool or anything like that, it’s for the track when you’re glued to road in front. I had one in my M4 and got very accustomed to it, but it was the BMW model and you could just turn it off when not wanting it on. Yes, a distraction for sure for everyday use. The M4 was a manual tranny and it was necessary especially when wearing a helmet. Not necessary with M8 V8 roar, auto tranny in comp mode, and M mode HUD.

Anyways, you didn’t say anything about the track, so everything I just said is for naught. Good choice on the wheel!

Yeah- if it was an OEM one I’d probably have a different opinion and if I tracked the car but for the purpose of my car, it doesn’t make sense. Also- I couldn’t get past the China factory direct “font” they used. Lol
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      04-24-2024, 12:24 AM   #32
Shane_ATX
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M550ix

Garage List
2023 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:

Were you able to solve the issue with deactivating the heat function? Did the wheel throw the CEL?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 01:01 PM   #33
Darshan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E60 M5 sold/ F06 M6 sold/ f93

My wheel from aza autowheel all functions work.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
sullic72.00
ElloM815.00