M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion When it rains, it pours...

01-23-2023, 11:16 AM   #45
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Ugh. Sometimes I wonder if some people driving junked cars might do this kind of thing to really nice cars on purpose.
Driving a nice car does make a person a bit of a target. I now think it's a big mistake to have such an expensive car as a daily driver.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 11:23 AM   #46
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M8Bimmer View Post
So sorry man. As you said it could of been WAY worse so if it helps try to think of what didn't happen. Is he gonna pay out of pocket to fix it. Or is he a low life welcher type ya think? Not worth putting thru insurance at this level. So hope he coughs up.
I don't have his phone number, but I have his name and photo of drivers license.

What will happen if I put in a claim is that about 3 weeks will go by where he hasn't filed a claim. Then the insurer will send him notice that he is legally obligated to file a claim and has 30 days. After about 6-8 weeks he's finally found at fault. Meanwhile I'm waiting weeks or even months for repair. Everything gets delayed because the other person doesn't file a claim. I don't want a second claim on the car, even if it's $200. I'm sick and tired of the hassle, but at the same time I can't afford the $200 to fix it. Yes, I'm that broke right now.

Rob
Appreciate 1
M8Bimmer1272.50
      01-23-2023, 11:50 AM   #47
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
Driving a nice car does make a person a bit of a target. I now think it's a big mistake to have such an expensive car as a daily driver.

Rob
Where are you located, is SK South Korea?

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 11:59 AM   #48
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
My mobile paint guy is from the Lamborghini dealership and can match normal and even their individual paints on million dollar vehicles near perfectly if not 100%.
Wish he was in my area. It's small so not a big deal but just cringe when I see it. May swing it by the Penske auto body shop to see what the think can be done. They too do all the collision repair for all their dealers including Lambo, Rolls Royce, etc.

Of course the big kicker is if I had done a full PPF it likely would be zero to absolutely minimal damage. If I get it fixed I'll likely have the rest non-PPF'd areas (rear fenders and trunk bumper) done.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 02:15 PM   #49
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Wish he was in my area. It's small so not a big deal but just cringe when I see it. May swing it by the Penske auto body shop to see what the think can be done. They too do all the collision repair for all their dealers including Lambo, Rolls Royce, etc.

Of course the big kicker is if I had done a full PPF it likely would be zero to absolutely minimal damage. If I get it fixed I'll likely have the rest non-PPF'd areas (rear fenders and trunk bumper) done.
They key is finding out who the dealership uses as their mobile paint repair guy, as the body shop's process would be an entirely different approach.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2023, 02:42 PM   #50
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Where are you located, is SK South Korea?
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada.

Rob
Appreciate 1
RJC-11289.50
      01-23-2023, 02:45 PM   #51
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
I have hood, full front, fenders and rockers PPF'ed. It almost seems like I should do the rest once spring hits. That would mean doors, rear bumper and rear fenders.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 04:08 PM   #52
dL.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Coupe xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post
Extremely happy with the work. The bumper was replaced.
Can’t help but noticed your repaired / replacement rear bumper fitment by the tail light not as aligned as OEM. Looks like the rear bumper sits a hair lower than the rear quarter panel.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 05:35 PM   #53
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
I have hood, full front, fenders and rockers PPF'ed. It almost seems like I should do the rest once spring hits. That would mean doors, rear bumper and rear fenders.

Rob
Basically have the same plus door edges, door handles (lesson learned from prior cars in which had scratches from my wedding ring), mirror caps, A pillars and the CF roof. Just need to get the rest done once I figure out how to handle the scratch. Upside is it's on the passenger side so I rarely have to see it (basically when in the garage and walking between my wife's X5 and the M850i).
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 03:08 AM   #54
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Update:

After a poor matching paint job, the autobody shop repainted the bumper and rear driver side quarter panel. The match seems better. This was done about mid February.

It's now March 13th and I dropped the car off for the side mirror to be finally fixed. The plastic housing is being replaced on it because it was scratched up by another car hitting it.

The bumper is STILL not repaired to satisfaction. I have argued for 2+ months now that it's missing support arches/brackets that connect the side of the bumper to the fender liner and the bracket behind the liner. I have provided absolute proof the parts are missing, but the autobody manager wouldn't believe me. Finally, I had to get the dealership service department involved (same company) and THEY ordered the necessary parts because the autobody would not. I was shown the parts today by the autobody manager and he still insists they probably don't belong, but they are going to check and see if they fit. I flat out said 'oh they will fit' and I don't think he liked me challenging him like that. So he says they will call me when the bumper is off and they can't fit the parts to show me they don't belong on the car. He said some cars have them, some don't and it depends when they are built. Of course I'm not buying that and I told him my friend's M850i has the support arches. Anyhow I did not receive any phone call today to tell me I was wrong and my car shows being parked outside right now (late at night, which is odd).

It's absolutely brutal that they did such a poor job not just paint matching, but leaving sanding mark, halos, swril in the paint. Confronted on that, I was almost yelled at like I was being picky. I wanted a professional to clean up the car and they refused to do that saying they have their own guys. Well, ya your guys didn't do a very good job did they? And the ludicrous amount of lip service I have to listen to where they just absolutely won't admit their mistake and would have rather had me going on my way with an improper bumper repair that's missing support arches inside. My sales guy is like "well ya I wouldn't loose sleep over it". Fuck you for saying that, he's the most OCD person I know when it comes to cars. He would never accept that on his own car, so why should I on mine?

Maybe I'll have the car back late tuesday? Although if it's sitting outside right now, then I have no idea if they did anything today.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 05:57 AM   #55
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

I got the car back today and the bumper arch brackets are now installed.

There was no apology, or even any comment for the extra 2 months this repair took because of how the manager acted. I just took the car and left.

It still needs a minor paint correction to remove the paint swirl, but at least it's not too bad.

I left a 1 star review on google sharing my experience and I was mindful of my words. Ultimately, mistakes happen of course, but the rest of it didn't have to.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 09:55 AM   #56
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

I'd say they deserved the bad review. Not your fault that the honest true story makes them look very incompetent. Fire away I say. You gave them plenty of opportunity to come off better than they did.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 06:12 PM   #57
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

10+ weeks later and I had to write yet another letter to my insurance to let them know I am still not happy with the repair. All of my concerns about paint swirl, scratches and sanding marks simple have not been addressed at all. The new paint looks way more swirled up than the original factory paint. I now understand why the manager of the autobody 'could not find' a proper light for inspecting the paint the last time I went to pick up my car. Bright light like sunlight really shows how messed up the paint finish still is.

I think the car needs a third party professional inspection and correction of the paint. I'm hoping it doesn't need a third repaint because that would be ridiculous.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 12:20 AM   #58
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

I just noticed that my kick open trunk feature is not working. They either didn't connect the sensor when working on the bumper or they just wrecked it.

Can't make this shit up, it's a gong show that doesn't seem to end!

Rob
Appreciate 1
M8Bimmer1272.50
      04-03-2023, 12:48 PM   #59
fmzip
Spoiler Bandit
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i / 2016 228i

Geez bud.....
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 11:42 PM   #60
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post
Geez bud.....
At least my dealership service department has been great. They agreed to look at it this thursday to figure out what is wrong. They know the nightmare that their sister autobody shop has been giving me. I also asked them to inspect the bumper for anything wrong or other issues. I absolutely do not trust the autobody shop to touch my car again.

I still need to paint fixed... My detailer offered to give me free ceramic because of all the business I gave him. I'll have him inspect the paint....

Rob
Appreciate 0