M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion BMW 840i Extended Warranty questions

04-09-2024, 05:19 PM   #1
G16b58
Registered
Rep
Drives: G16

BMW 840i Extended Warranty questions

Hello,
I own a 2020 BMW 840i GC.
Current mileage is: 14k

My warranty is set to expire this coming June 2024 (2 month).

I dont believe I’ll own the car long enough to hit 60k miles.

1. Do you guys suggest purchasing the extended warranty?

My last bmw 535i 2016 I extended warranty all the way up to 125k and never got a chance to use it.

2. They do have a option to purchase a $899 maintenance plan. Which I believe will pay for itself in the next 3 oil changes, brakes and filters.

3. Is the bmw g16 40i known for any issues that I should be concerned and purchase the extended warranty plan?

Please let me know what you all think.

Thank you,
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 06:55 AM   #2
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

I had the same dilemna with my 840 and decided against it as the cost was really high.

Since the warranty expired I have only had one bill for c£220 to have the regen filter cleared out - I don’t think this would have been covered but even if it had the extended warranty still looks expensive.

It’s the same as all insurance - if you don’t make a claim it’s a total waste of money!

One thing I would strongly recommend is going over the car and check absolutely everything before warranty expires - one of the climate controls in the back of mine wasn’t working (I had no idea!) and it was a huge bill as the whole console had to be replaced…at BMWs cost.
Appreciate 3
__AD__252.50
G16b580.00
      04-13-2024, 02:54 PM   #3
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaford View Post
I had the same dilemna with my 840 and decided against it as the cost was really high
Deals can be made vs the MSRP on the different extended warranty packages.
Quote:
Since the warranty expired I have only had one bill for c£220 to have the regen filter cleared out - I don’t think this would have been covered but even if it had the extended warranty still looks expensive.
Likely not as that would probably be considered wear and tear vs a faulty part.

Quote:
It’s the same as all insurance - if you don’t make a claim it’s a total waste of money!

One thing I would strongly recommend is going over the car and check absolutely everything before warranty expires - one of the climate controls in the back of mine wasn’t working (I had no idea!) and it was a huge bill as the whole console had to be replaced…at BMWs cost.
Did the same even though I picked up a Platinum extended warranty. Had my SA address the squeak in the steering wheel when lowering into position and a rattle in the back seat (rear tail light housing cover where the rear headliner meets the rear window).

The squeak is back on the steering column but documented under full warranty so will have it replaced under the extended warranty on the next service. Wear and tear no longer counts for it given the documented warranty claim/fix.
Appreciate 0