M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Interior Rattles

03-06-2021, 09:50 AM   #1
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Interior Rattles

I found a thread about a cupholder rattle, but has anyone else experienced other rattles in their cars? Coming from an F80, I was used to some, and there was a great thread for the F80 about DIY fixes to correct pretty much all of them which I'd implement on occasion (https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1031768).

My G07 has been completely silent for about 16 months, and I definitely expected the same in the F92 aside from some healthy thuds on uneven roads due to the tighter suspension, but sadly it hasn't been the case. I have had a slight rattle I noticed shortly after delivery which only comes on uneven roads but not one that I'd call acceptable as it's more of a high pitched quick buzz of sorts. I could have sworn it was the glovebox for the first couple of weeks, but with a passenger in the car, we figured if you push up on the dome light or headliner it goes away.

Has anyone had a similar issue they found a solid fix for? I thought I'd check in before I proceed to rip my interior apart. I kind of figured I take apart the dome light and add some felt tape like mentioned in the F80 thread, but it definitely seems to be more headliner related, and I imagine wedging something in some key spots on the edged could also do the trick.
      03-06-2021, 01:03 PM   #2
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

I dont have any but then again I really never focus on even the smallest ones as it will eventually drive me nuts.

Lowering the car and creating more "bounce" ads to the opportunity for rattles. But luckily Im free of such things currently.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 04:06 PM   #3
jm600rr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8C Coupe

I had a rattle coming from the rear passenger area of the car. Noticed it on the drive home after purchasing the car. Took it in but they claim the tech couldn't hear anything. I recorded a video and took it back in and they said it had couple bad clips holding the trim. They fixed it and I no longer have any noticeable rattles.

Appreciate 1
      03-07-2021, 04:40 PM   #4
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
I found a thread about a cupholder rattle, but has anyone else experienced other rattles in their cars? Coming from an F80, I was used to some, and there was a great thread for the F80 about DIY fixes to correct pretty much all of them which I'd implement on occasion (https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1031768).

My G07 has been completely silent for about 16 months, and I definitely expected the same in the F92 aside from some healthy thuds on uneven roads due to the tighter suspension, but sadly it hasn't been the case. I have had a slight rattle I noticed shortly after delivery which only comes on uneven roads but not one that I'd call acceptable as it's more of a high pitched quick buzz of sorts. I could have sworn it was the glovebox for the first couple of weeks, but with a passenger in the car, we figured if you push up on the dome light or headliner it goes away.

Has anyone had a similar issue they found a solid fix for? I thought I'd check in before I proceed to rip my interior apart. I kind of figured I take apart the dome light and add some felt tape like mentioned in the F80 thread, but it definitely seems to be more headliner related, and I imagine wedging something in some key spots on the edged could also do the trick.
From the same area as yours, but I wouldn’t call it a buzz, more like a fast, high-pitched clicking sound. Can’t find any cause or reason it comes on, but it does bug me.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2021, 08:22 AM   #5
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
From the same area as yours, but I wouldn’t call it a buzz, more like a fast, high-pitched clicking sound. Can’t find any cause or reason it comes on, but it does bug me.
Yeah, likely the same, after playing around with it yesterday, definitely not as much as a buzz. It 100% goes away if I put a little pressure on the headliner. Pressure just in front of the dome light works best and there's probably close to 1/4" of play there, so it seems like replacing clips as jm600rr mentioned might do the trick. If one clip is giving way a little, it might be letting a piece of plastic connected to the headliner touch a piece from the dome light causing the issue.

I thought about wedging something between the headliner and windshield as downward pressure also works, but that would likely just make things worse over time. I spent about 30 seconds trying to figure out how to take the dome light apart and gave up, I don't want to end up marring the alcantara, that would bother me more. I'll try to get my SA to take a look, then wait for a ride-along with the Service Manager which will be amusing as always. I mentioned it on another thread recently, but he'll likely turn up the volume during the ride telling me he fixed the problem instantly, take a couple shots at me for the complaint, then give his guys a couple of ideas resulting in an amazing job. His weekend toy is an E28 M5, so he has the right to poke all the fun he wants.

Last edited by unfoundnemo; 03-08-2021 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 03:02 PM   #6
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, likely the same, after playing around with it yesterday, definitely not as much as a buzz. It 100% goes away if I put a little pressure on the headliner. Pressure just in front of the dome light works best and there's probably close to 1/4" of play there, so it seems like replacing clips as jm600rr mentioned might do the trick. If one clip is giving way a little, it might be letting a piece of plastic connected to the headliner touch a piece from the dome light causing the issue.

I thought about wedging something between the headliner and windshield as downward pressure also works, but that would likely just make things worse over time. I spent about 30 seconds trying to figure out how to take the dome light apart and gave up, I don't want to end up marring the alcantara, that would bother me more. I'll try to get my SA to take a look, then wait for a ride-along with the Service Manager which will be amusing as always. I mentioned it on another thread recently, but he'll likely turn up the volume during the ride telling me he fixed the problem instantly, take a couple shots at me for the complaint, then give his guys a couple of ideas resulting in an amazing job. His weekend toy is an E28 M5, so he has the right to poke all the fun he wants.

Mine seems to be coming from the area around the glovebox. Not sure though.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 10:39 PM   #7
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
Mine seems to be coming from the area around the glovebox. Not sure though.
Just had it fixed when I did my summer tire swap. Perhaps unrelated, but I thought mine was originally coming from my glovebox as well. It was the surround behind the mirror vibrating against the headliner. They found a broken clip within that surround that needs to be ordered, but left the surround off in the meantime and I'm rattle free for now.
'Cane8499.50
      03-27-2021, 11:22 PM   #8
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850GC Tanzanite Blue Metallic

This is crazy... A car like the M8 with such high price shouldn't have any of this crap that I'm reading here. What is wrong with BMW? This is stupid... In my 7-series I hear sometimes rattling noise from the drivers door lock knob (stupid plastic knob), if I put my finger on it the noise stops. Similar problem from the Bowers and Wilkins centre speaker, the other day my 15-year old noticed it and asked me about the noise. BMW should go and learn from the Japanese some reliability and noise proof lessons. If you drive an Acura or Lexus, you hardly hear anything even after 10 years and these $150K+ cars we are driving rattles like a lawnmower... I remember my 2004 545i M-Sport, I would hear a weaselling noise from the left side of the windshield at speeds over a 100 km/h. BMW tech drives the car and come back to tell me everything is fine. Months of being annoyed, I find on this forum a recall bulletin on this specific problem which I delivered to the dealership to replace the windshield.. WTF...

Quote:

Last edited by Moopai; 03-27-2021 at 11:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 05:28 PM   #9
Mgrae456
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m850

On my m850 I get an annoying rattle on bass heavy tracks from my Bowers center channel. If I press hard on it, it goes away. It bothers me but so does bringing it and leaving it for a few days to hand techs tell me either they don't hear it or it's just the way it is.
Appreciate 1
Al Pină1839.50
      03-29-2021, 10:41 PM   #10
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgrae456 View Post
On my m850 I get an annoying rattle on bass heavy tracks from my Bowers center channel. If I press hard on it, it goes away. It bothers me but so does bringing it and leaving it for a few days to hand techs tell me either they don't hear it or it's just the way it is.
The total irony being is that I've never heard the "rattle" going on in my cup holder, center console, etc. due to the ubiquitous B&W audio pumping at 40% plus on every drive with zero issues from any speaker, etc. That said I've now experienced a "rattle" within the center console over the past couple of months that I'll chalk up to the ambient temperature, e.g., it never did so in the 100 plus summer months. I only hear it on rough road surfaces and discovered it while in the car and on a Teams' meeting so the B&W was silent.

I fought a similar gremlin in my outgoing Lexus in which the dash creaked in the winter months but was silent in the summer months. Not sure how that tracks with the 8-series but ultimately at the price point one would not expect a creak, rattle, et. The only saving grace is with the B&W at 40% plus (with absolutely flawless sound) I'm a happy camper.
Appreciate 0