M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Ceramic Coat Applied

02-11-2021, 06:41 AM   #23
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Bloozeman, can you elaborate on why paint correction would be needed on new car? I have a new car arriving soon and am trying to decide if I should get PPF. The price is $1800 for full front and $5400 for entire car in Dallas area. I have several cars so this car will be used mostly for joy riding but I plan to keep the car for the long haul.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 10:04 AM   #24
nynd
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7 M8 Convert

I will let Bloozeman comment but keep in mind a new vehicle may look perfect to most however, there are containments (from transport) and at times, slight flaws in the paint finish. Believe it or not, sometimes even your friendly dealership PDI process introduces some fine scratches when they are trying to prep the car. So, before you do any PPF, it's always a good idea to review the painted surfaces and do any minor correction, AGAIN, if it matters to you. Most.. if it's a lease, could care less as they will be returning it at the end of their lease.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 12:33 PM   #25
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Thanks nynd
I really would prefer the dealer not doing anything to the car upon delivery, but I understand there are some necessary programming and vehicle inspections required. I wonder about the service people getting their hands on a new M and decide to go on quick joy ride.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 01:36 PM   #26
M3CDan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24i5M60,'24X7M60,'23M3CXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
What is the pricing you see on ceramic coating from a good shop (w. paint correction)?

I was quoted close to $2k and can't even tell if there is an excellent go-to shop in town (Minneapolis)...
I paid $1250 plus tip...came with a 5 year warranty. We live in Northern Virginia...
2023. BMW M1000R Competition BrenTuned
Appreciate 2
      02-11-2021, 01:44 PM   #27
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by M8CGCDan View Post
Quote:
What is the pricing you see on ceramic coating from a good shop (w. paint correction)?

I was quoted close to $2k and can't even tell if there is an excellent go-to shop in town (Minneapolis)...
I paid $1250 plus tip...came with a 5 year warranty. We live in Northern Virginia...
ppf or cermaic coat?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 09:32 PM   #28
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynd View Post
I will let Bloozeman comment but keep in mind a new vehicle may look perfect to most however, there are containments (from transport) and at times, slight flaws in the paint finish. Believe it or not, sometimes even your friendly dealership PDI process introduces some fine scratches when they are trying to prep the car. So, before you do any PPF, it's always a good idea to review the painted surfaces and do any minor correction, AGAIN, if it matters to you. Most.. if it's a lease, could care less as they will be returning it at the end of their lease.
Absolutely spot on plus the paint correction will even out the clear coat to a uniform layer. At least in my case the roof on my M850i and a few other spots had areas my detailer corrected. As per the fine scratches, the mileage may vary with the greater possibility in a dark exterior color, e.g., my Tanzanite Blue which will show a swirl mark just as easily as Carbon Black.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 09:51 PM   #29
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
Bloozeman, can you elaborate on why paint correction would be needed on new car? I have a new car arriving soon and am trying to decide if I should get PPF. The price is $1800 for full front and $5400 for entire car in Dallas area. I have several cars so this car will be used mostly for joy riding but I plan to keep the car for the long haul.
I'm going to guess that the DFW area has a similar detailing market aka competition as here in the Phoenix Metropolitan area. The competition being the key as there should be several competent detailers in your area and hence the ability to negotiate. I just pulled up my notes (via Evernote) on the pricing for the PPF and ceramic coating on my M850i. It started with the "premium" PPF package at $1600 and $950 for the ceramic coating add on. Ceramic itself as a standalone was $1250.

However, as stated where I ended up at was $2600 in total after some negotiations. That covered the PPF "premium" package (full front end, A pillars, mirrors, rockers, door jams, and door edges) plus they added in the roof (I had several rock chips on the outgoing car where the windshield met the front of the roof so I wanted it PPF'd). For the ceramic side the negotiation included in addition to the full exterior the Gtechniq leather protection on the full interior. Hence, your mileage may vary but detailing is without a doubt negotiable.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 11:15 PM   #30
Mgrae456
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m850

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
I'm going to guess that the DFW area has a similar detailing market aka competition as here in the Phoenix Metropolitan area. The competition being the key as there should be several competent detailers in your area and hence the ability to negotiate. I just pulled up my notes (via Evernote) on the pricing for the PPF and ceramic coating on my M850i. It started with the "premium" PPF package at $1600 and $950 for the ceramic coating add on. Ceramic itself as a standalone was $1250.

However, as stated where I ended up at was $2600 in total after some negotiations. That covered the PPF "premium" package (full front end, A pillars, mirrors, rockers, door jams, and door edges) plus they added in the roof (I had several rock chips on the outgoing car where the windshield met the front of the roof so I wanted it PPF'd). For the ceramic side the negotiation included in addition to the full exterior the Gtechniq leather protection on the full interior. Hence, your mileage may vary but detailing is without a doubt negotiable.
Lots of options in DFW I haven't found a good one since I moved here a year and a half ago. Not for a wash not fort a major job like ppf and ceramic. If anyone has any recommendations please share.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 12:38 AM   #31
willie55912
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M850xi gran coupe

Ceramic coating in MN

Quote:

I went to Med City Detail in Rochester, Mn for my ceramic coating. The owner is so meticulous, that it was a deciding factor for me. I am impressed with his work....was told by others a little high in price...but it was worth it!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 07:52 PM   #32
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willie55912 View Post
I went to Med City Detail in Rochester, Mn for my ceramic coating. The owner is so meticulous, that it was a deciding factor for me. I am impressed with his work....was told by others a little high in price...but it was worth it!
Good to know. So how much did you end up paying?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 11:58 AM   #33
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Excellent color choice! Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 03:58 PM   #34
willie55912
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M850xi gran coupe

Quote:
Good to know. So how much did you end up paying?
I had STEK Dynshield package for the hood, front bumper, mirrors, door cups..etc....and then the Gyeon ceramic coat on the rest of the car. I liked that he done the ceramic coat completely on the wheels and brake calipers. Shield was 2800 and ceramic coat was 1600.

What impressed me was that I went in for a quote after I ordered my car, and he told me to leave and come back later or stay for a while as he was applying the shield package on a car....he was not going to stop for anything or anyone until he was done. It took a week for the processes to be done. He has done everything from motorcycles to Ferrari's with good customer reviews. I was told he was expensive, but I am planning to keep my vehicle for a while. My vehicle he done is the BMW X3 M40i on his facebook/webpage.
Appreciate 0