M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Ceramic Coat Applied

01-28-2021, 08:24 PM   #1
M3CDan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24i5M60,'24X7M60,'23M3CXD

Ceramic Coat Applied

Man does she shine!!!!
Attached Images

2023. BMW M1000R Competition BrenTuned
Appreciate 6
xmanpro3055.00
FBMWWINS603.50
cfm56d7b5876.00
Vic5519222.00
c12h231.00
      01-28-2021, 08:34 PM   #2
Victarion
Rep
Drives: 2021 M8 GC Comp

Absolutely gorgeous!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 09:41 PM   #3
Cgflier
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M8

stunning. looks fantastic. had it done on my black m8. you won't be disappointed
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 09:44 AM   #4
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Fantastic and absolutely worth it! One sees the difference in such pictures and live it is even more striking.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 09:55 AM   #5
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Its amazing what it does, Its on my Black M8 GC and you have seen those pics
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 1
xmanpro3055.00
      01-29-2021, 11:59 AM   #6
GKW
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i, 22 Alpina B8

Can you take that through a car wash??
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 12:02 PM   #7
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Incredible outcome. The paint surface now has enough reflective power to counter solar flares and save this planet.

What ceramic coating was applied? How long was the process including paint correction step (if relevant)?
Appreciate 1
xmanpro3055.00
      01-29-2021, 03:41 PM   #8
nynd
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7 M8 Convert

Gorgeous!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 03:18 PM   #9
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKW View Post
The irony is I was hoping one could do so when I had my 2020 M850i ceramic coated with Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra. However, my detailer whom did the job said "absolutely no" when I asked him. Thus, it's been hand washed since day 3 after the PPF and ceramic coating were done.
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2021, 03:24 PM   #10
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBMWWINS View Post
Fantastic and absolutely worth it! One sees the difference in such pictures and live it is even more striking.
Absolutely. I had the M850i washed by the mobile dealer last Thursday but the car sat in the garage until today due to the rainstorms all week. Here in AZ we have a winter rain season but this past week made me feel like I was living in the Pacific Northwest, e.g., Seattle. That said with the sun out today the Tanzanite Blue is shimmering like there is no tomorrow and a guy in the parking lot at the grocery store commented on it being such a "dazzling blue".
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 05:01 PM   #11
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Absolutely. I had the M850i washed by the mobile dealer last Thursday but the car sat in the garage until today due to the rainstorms all week. Here in AZ we have a winter rain season but this past week made me feel like I was living in the Pacific Northwest, e.g., Seattle. That said with the sun out today the Tanzanite Blue is shimmering like there is no tomorrow and a guy in the parking lot at the grocery store commented on it being such a "dazzling blue".
Yes your color is a true winner and you made me remember my F06 650i which was Tanzanite Blue (I) and I had it ceramic coated soon after I got it. When I sold it (last year) I had the impression it had retained all its splendor and it stood out no matter under which lighting condition/s.

I had my M850i done this week and will post some pictures in my thread. I can only say it is WORTH IT 200% and there are really important benefits to be obtained, which justifies even the high cost/s here in my area.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 09:33 PM   #12
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
The irony is I was hoping one could do so when I had my 2020 M850i ceramic coated with Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra. However, my detailer whom did the job said "absolutely no" when I asked him. Thus, it's been hand washed since day 3 after the PPF and ceramic coating were done.
In an emergency you can go to a touchless brushless one, or self service with a hose. But it's not recommended.

The regular gas station automatic ones will brush and wipe away the coating installed. The chemicals in even the touchless brushless ones will slowly eventually eat away at the coating.

Ppf for protection, ceramic coating for waxy shines.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 07:16 AM   #13
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Technically speaking, my detailer sustains that a few times "under" the automatic car wash (but very very rarely) will not harm the coating much provided the applied material has a "high chermical resistance". This differs of course as there are many products out there and their technical characteristics vary. However, his ADVICE was a clear NO.

That is despite a certain tolerance with the applied coating, I will never go to an automatic car wash with mine because one is most likely to run into other issues such as swirl marks, small scratches etc. Thus I would follow the detailer advice and handwash it ALWAYS by using the rigorous techniques for obtaining best results and for preserving the paint for as long as possible as much as one can influence it.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2021, 02:54 PM   #14
Mgrae456
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m850

Quote:
Quote:
Technically speaking, my detailer sustains that a few times "under" the automatic car wash (but very very rarely) will not harm the coating much provided the applied material has a "high chermical resistance". This differs of course as there are many products out there and their technical characteristics vary. However, his ADVICE was a clear NO.

That is despite a certain tolerance with the applied coating, I will never go to an automatic car wash with mine because one is most likely to run into other issues such as swirl marks, small scratches etc. Thus I would follow the detailer advice and handwash it ALWAYS by using the rigorous techniques for obtaining best results and for preserving the paint for as long as possible as much as one can influence it.
I moved from NYC to Dallas over a year ago and still can't find a good reliable mobile wash/ detail. In NYC I had a great guy. You would think it would be the other way around but everyone here seems happy with the machines.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 03:34 PM   #15
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Do correct me if I'm wrong, but I gather around here in the forum that when it comes to car washing and detailing you guys/girls are lucky. It seems that in the US you generally (though I guess it will vary from one area to another) have some great choices in terms of mobile wash/detailing services along with the companies that do that and receive customers. Here trust me it's not that common (yet) and one struggles to find some TRULY good ones.... that are not only specialized in coating, but that actually know something about car paint too! The few mobile ones I have come across mainly wash and vacum and after talking to them I can say the word "detailing" isn't really part of their "car care" vocabulary. The last thing I would do is hand a coated car over to them...
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2021, 04:11 PM   #16
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Do correct me if I'm wrong, but I gather around here in the forum that when it comes to car washing and detailing you guys/girls are lucky. It seems that in the US you generally (though I guess it will vary from one area to another) have some great choices in terms of mobile wash/detailing services along with the companies that do that and receive customers. Here trust me it's not that common (yet) and one struggles to find some TRULY good ones.... that are not only specialized in coating, but that actually know something about car paint too! The few mobile ones I have come across mainly wash and vacum and after talking to them I can say the word "detailing" isn't really part of their "car care" vocabulary. The last thing I would do is hand a coated car over to them...
We do. At least in DC; there is over a dozen highly qualified ones that will come to your house. Only 3 of them would I trust; but we still have options.
Appreciate 1
FBMWWINS603.50
      01-31-2021, 05:15 PM   #17
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Agreed, i.e., technically a few rare automatic washes when absolutely necessary is not going to hurt the ceramic coating. I too worry more about swirl marks given the Tanzanite Blue is dark enough to easily show them like a black car. If I truly wanted to use the automatic washes I would have PPF'd the entire car and ceramic coated it. However, I just PPF'd the entire front end, mirrors, rockers, roof, door jambs and door edges as that is all I need for rock chip defense.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 05:20 PM   #18
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Count me as lucky given I have two great detailers in my immediate 10 mile radius whom both offer mobile detailing. I used one after thorough research to do the PPF work and ceramic coating. However, the other is way more flexible in the mobile detailing scheduling (plus offers a "wash club" package) so I use them for the every two to three week washes. I do need to take back the car in the upcoming weeks to the detailer whom did the coating for the 1st year maintenance along with fixing a few minor areas on the PPF.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 12:45 AM   #19
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Classy.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 11:40 AM   #20
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

A menacing-looking beast!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 04:15 PM   #21
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
What is the pricing you see on ceramic coating from a good shop (w. paint correction)?

I was quoted close to $2k and can't even tell if there is an excellent go-to shop in town (Minneapolis)...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 07:31 PM   #22
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
What is the pricing you see on ceramic coating from a good shop (w. paint correction)?

I was quoted close to $2k and can't even tell if there is an excellent go-to shop in town (Minneapolis)...
That seems way high considering for my M850i I paid $2600 for PPF (full front end, A pillars, rockers, hood, mirrors, door handles and edges) plus Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra ceramic coating on the exterior plus Gtechniq leather protection on the entire interior.

If memory serves the ceramic coating itself was $1200 and ironically I argued against that considering it included paint correction. Granted I was completely naive within that argument as I thought a brand new car would not need it. However, the detailer educated me on that and followed up by sending me several pictures throughout the process in which the clear coat needed correction.
Appreciate 1
Wolfman64811.50