M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M850ix Software Update - A Tragedy in Multiple Acts

04-06-2020, 03:57 PM   #45
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
The Nav's left menu used to have a Received Destinations option but doesn't any longer. So I thought, "ah, perhaps it's turned off under the Personalized menus". So I went there. Sure enough, Received Destinations is still there and already turned on. So I turned it off and back on again. Nada.
Yep, I saw that as I was troubleshooting. The more I look, the more pissed I get.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 04:38 PM   #46
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
Quote:
The Nav's left menu used to have a Received Destinations option but doesn't any longer. So I thought, "ah, perhaps it's turned off under the Personalized menus". So I went there. Sure enough, Received Destinations is still there and already turned on. So I turned it off and back on again. Nada.
Yep, I saw that as I was troubleshooting. The more I look, the more pissed I get.
I still have all my apps even with the software update. But I didn't have any of the complications that you all had.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 09:36 PM   #47
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:

Fuckin' ay BMW—you need to sort your shit out. :
Interesting as at least on my previous version and current 11/2019.55 that option does not exist. The only one is "Previous Destinations" which includes everything I've sent from the ConnectedDrive app.

That said it sounds like an inspiring engineer for the ConnectedDrive solution painted a user story (those with DevOps experience will get it) to add a feature for destinations from the app to be displayed in the iDrive Nav menu. Apparently that made it's way into production for at least the 03/2020.xx release. However, as so far well proven BMW cannot fight their way out of a paper bag when it comes to QC (quality control). So the end result is the customer experience frustration.

Doubling down on limeypride's sentiment on it is high time BMW get's their shit together. We live in a connected world... oh wait BMW offers a ConnectedDrive solution to address that. Guess again as apparently they cannot truly figure out how to do so. Don't get me wrong I appreciate what the ConnectedDrive solution offers but the inconsistencies often degrade that to pure frustration. Case-in-point the now infamous "keep your password simple" as if you use special characters (security 101 in the present world) your mileage may vary.
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50
      04-07-2020, 03:27 PM   #48
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
And...we're back!

Remember that part where she wrote up the ticket - for a car I haven't had since last May? Well, that day, that car re-appeared in my ConnectedDrive phone app. It was in West Palm Beach, apparently on a dealer's lot. I'm 425 miles from West Palm Beach.

I did the right thing - I deleted it from my account (again).

Well, an email just arrived from BMW. They added that car AGAIN to my ConnectedDrive account and phone app. It's still in West Palm Beach; I'm still not in West Palm Beach.

I just deleted it again (but, this time, just for fun, I remotely honked the horn twice).

Also, I still don't have the right apps in my actual right car.

It's an unending comedy of errors, except for the comedy part.
In what could have been good news, I received a phone call today from BMW Assist (!) in which the agent proudly informed me that the problem had been solved and that the in-car apps, blown out by the latest BMW software update, have been restored.

And that, indeed, would have been good news if she were talking about my actual car rather than the car I haven't had for nearly a year now. So, at this juncture, BMW and I may have managed to fix a problem that another owner probably didn't have.

I did take the opportunity to re-identify the actual car I have with the actual in-car apps that it still does not have and BMW Assist is starting all over again, maybe.

More details as soon as they become available, and, of course, we will have all the latest news tonight - at 11.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2020, 06:11 PM   #49
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
The heading of this thread was prescient!
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2020, 07:28 PM   #50
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

always something!
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2020, 08:56 PM   #51
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
In what could have been good news, I received a phone call today from BMW Assist (!) in which the agent proudly informed me that the problem had been solved and that the in-car apps, blown out by the latest BMW software update, have been restored.

And that, indeed, would have been good news if she were talking about my actual car rather than the car I haven't had for nearly a year now. So, at this juncture, BMW and I may have managed to fix a problem that another owner probably didn't have.

I did take the opportunity to re-identify the actual car I have with the actual in-car apps that it still does not have and BMW Assist is starting all over again, maybe.

More details as soon as they become available, and, of course, we will have all the latest news tonight - at 11.
Thanks for the absolute LOL moment of the day. I literally busted out laughing that they proudly fixed an issue on a car you no longer own. That said I feel your pain as I lived it until my dealer's tech figured out the password issue and BMW Assist was absolutely clueless.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2020, 11:25 PM   #52
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Their scripts lack any common sense as well for alternative options. I opened a ticket since I couldn't add my wife as a secondary driver.

I forgot about just to realize that 56 days later I never received a follow-up.
They acknowledged that delay, apologized and told me that this will be an escalated IT ticket. Expect 5-7 business days.

Which of course passed without action.

Called again, they said they couldn't fix it and would have to wait for IT to get back. Instead I asked to simply delete the record so I could start over.

Needless to say, my wife was setup in 10 minutes...
BMW USA and follow-up is an oxymoron...

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2020, 11:26 PM   #53
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Thanks for the absolute LOL moment of the day. I literally busted out laughing that they proudly fixed an issue on a car you no longer own. That said I feel your pain as I lived it until my dealer's tech figured out the password issue and BMW Assist was absolutely clueless.
BMW USA strikes again

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 11:30 PM   #54
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Sorry you're going through all this but it's seems to be the norm for anything related to BMW USA...
B: Bad
M: Made
W: Worse
U: Usually
S: Something
A: Asinine

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 01:22 PM   #55
GKW
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i, 22 Alpina B8

Still waiting...

Made my 4th call to BMW assist today since the backup camera debacle. Still no apps. Still no update. Still have to go through full verification (including purchase date!) even though they know what car I am calling about. Still no "Ticket" has been created. Still no way to talk to anyone at a higher level than the apologetic robots that answer the phone. Waited on hold another 15 minutes today before I had to move on with my day.

It's been over a month since my first call. I can't believe there is no escalation procedure. Or status update. Or acknowledgment that there is a problem!!

This was my first BMW after many MB, Audi and even Lexus. Bought an X5 for my wife because I loved this car so much. BUT... no so much now.

GW
2019 M850i
Appreciate 2
      04-21-2020, 01:45 PM   #56
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKW View Post
Made my 4th call to BMW assist today since the backup camera debacle. Still no apps. Still no update. Still have to go through full verification (including purchase date!) even though they know what car I am calling about. Still no "Ticket" has been created. Still no way to talk to anyone at a higher level than the apologetic robots that answer the phone. Waited on hold another 15 minutes today before I had to move on with my day.

It's been over a month since my first call. I can't believe there is no escalation procedure. Or status update. Or acknowledgment that there is a problem!!

This was my first BMW after many MB, Audi and even Lexus. Bought an X5 for my wife because I loved this car so much. BUT... no so much now.

GW
2019 M850i
yep, it's a zoo.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 12:31 AM   #57
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

GW
2019 M850i
B: Bad
M: Made
W: Worse
U: Usually
S: Something
A: Asinine

Last edited by RJC-1; 04-24-2020 at 09:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 01:25 AM   #58
CarPhanatic
Rep
Drives: M850i 2019 coupe

new update still issues not resolved

What a nightmare IDrive is.
They should of contracted with organizations that actually know something about cloud computing, but here we are..

See my previous post. Have been dealing with issues and it seems it was the 3/2020 update that really undid us.

About 1-2 week ago there was an ota update, it seems to have restored the ability to push maps, destinations , etc... from app to vehicle. Anyone notice, it was a .30 update I think.?

I still have not had previous available news/weather/apps that were present prior to the 3/20 update made available.

This is a software issue and we are now left with a diminished and probably poorly staffed IT division at BMW to solve.

At this point, I am happy my car still starts.

I enjoyed the idea of the vehicle as a perfect trifecta of cutting edge technology, excellent performance, and practicality.

If one pillar falls, then it no longer seem like a a good idea. Perhaps it is better for one to just choose their passion and focus on that, instead of trying to get everything in one package in one vehicle?

Frustrating.Things will be resolved with "time" according to BMW support.

Would like to hear from anyone who has had any newer updates on the in car software?

Stay safe and healthy everyone,

H
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2020, 01:50 AM   #59
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarPhanatic View Post
They should of contracted with organizations that actually know something about cloud computing, but here we are..

See my previous post. Have been dealing with issues and it seems it was the 3/2020 update that really undid us.

About 1-2 week ago there was an ota update, it seems to have restored the ability to push maps, destinations , etc... from app to vehicle. Anyone notice, it was a .30 update I think.?

I still have not had previous available news/weather/apps that were present prior to the 3/20 update made available.

This is a software issue and we are now left with a diminished and probably poorly staffed IT division at BMW to solve.

At this point, I am happy my car still starts.

I enjoyed the idea of the vehicle as a perfect trifecta of cutting edge technology, excellent performance, and practicality.

If one pillar falls, then it no longer seem like a a good idea. Perhaps it is better for one to just choose their passion and focus on that, instead of trying to get everything in one package in one vehicle?

Frustrating.Things will be resolved with "time" according to BMW support.

Would like to hear from anyone who has had any newer updates on the in car software?

Stay safe and healthy everyone,

H
welcome to BMW. you will need to wait until July or November update to get a new update to fix stuff.
Until then, you are S.O.L. there isn't any way to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 04:40 PM   #60
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
It instills us all with a lack of confidence on the upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 09:37 PM   #61
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarPhanatic View Post

Couldn't agree more and you'll find my commentary regarding ConnectedDrive all over the forum as BMW cannot fight their way out of a paper bag when it comes to software engineering competency. Also thanks for confirming the OTA to a new "point release" aka .30 as my operating theory has been that is the function of the OTA vs all new base releases, e.g., the 03/2020 require a dealer install.

Thankfully the 11/2019.55 release on my M850i received in December from a dealer upgrade has been solid. I do not have any need for service at this point but if that changes and I take the car in I will clearly state that they should not upgrade the iDrive version to 03/2020 just in case they think they will be doing me a favor in that process.
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2020, 11:06 AM   #62
GKW
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i, 22 Alpina B8

I would not be so upset if the Backup Camera recall had come with a note that said "This will also require an update to iDrive". I would have opted out of the update until I knew what the effects were going to be. I avoid updating any software with new releases until they have been released and tested. Clearly, this was not tested. Fixing one problem and creating another is not progress. And my backup camera system was working fine!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 04:00 PM   #63
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would not be so upset if the Backup Camera recall had come with a note that said "This will also require an update to iDrive". I would have opted out of the update until I knew what the effects were going to be. I avoid updating any software with new releases until they have been released and tested. Clearly, this was not tested. Fixing one problem and creating another is not progress. And my backup camera system was working fine!
yeah I agree, but it's also kinda why I waited until after the update to get Ben to code my car
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 03:08 PM   #64
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Took my car in for 1 year service. They said because it's been a year but not enough miles, they won't do an oil change. Keep in mind they made this appointment for me a year ago when I bought the car at their center.

More stuff with BMW. I hate their service centers.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 03:44 PM   #65
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Took my car in for 1 year service. They said because it's been a year but not enough miles, they won't do an oil change. Keep in mind they made this appointment for me a year ago when I bought the car at their center.

Well, that makes even less sense than usual. My low-mileage 850 calls for service - and the dealer spams me with email - around the 10-month mark. Nothing really makes sense anymore.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2020, 03:45 PM   #66
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post

Why wouldn't they change the oil?

BMW Bellevue said I was ~1,500 miles away from the next oil change but volunteered to do it there and then.

Were you due for an oil change? Do they just normally follow the letter of the law--perhaps time for another dealer.
Appreciate 0