M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M850i Software Upgrade (Without connected drive)

02-28-2021, 06:45 AM   #1
darkchi1d
Rep
Drives: 650i Gran Coupe

M850i Software Upgrade (Without connected drive)

Hi,

Figured I'd make a thread as it seems to be a unique challenge. I have an M850i GC from the U.A.E which for some strange reason isn't considered a connected drive market. It's a late 2019 manufacture car and I'm trying to get the latest version of iDrive 7. I'm looking for three features in particular;

1. Android auto
2. Enhanced apple car play (directions visible in the Heads up display)
3. Drive recorder

Because I don't have Connected Drive I can't access the updates over the air. I've spoken to the AD and they essentially lock the software upgrades behind model years - I'd have to get a 2021 car to get Android Auto - which I find a bit ridiculous.

Can anyone help with a way to manually update the car? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 06:03 PM   #2
Baron G15
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G15 8 Series, Audi Q8

Is the dealer AGMC?
I always found them and Gargash (Mercedes) the perfect example of what happens when there’s no competition in the market....overpriced and underdelivered.

I have a coder that’s done a lot of complicated work for me (just added traffic light recognition, which is pretty tricky and I went thru 5 other coders who couldn’t do it).

I already reached out to him on your behalf. Can you pm me the last 7 digits of your vin. He’ll check whether he can do the istep upgrade for you.

Are you still under warranty? If so, be careful, I could see AGMC being difficult with you if your running a later version of the software.

If your vin is compatible then I’d have no concerns with my coder doing a remote upgrade for you (he’s significantly better than anyone else I met).

Alternatively, pop over to Munich motors in Al Quoz....they’re much more customer centric. They may have access to the latest software.
I believe the owner’s name is Ashley (he’s an English guy)

Btw. Why the hell are the electronics so screwed with in the UAE...there’s huge chunks of the driver assistant systems on BMW’s not available on UAE cars. I think it’s the same with Porsche (no remote park, no innodrive...traffic sign recognition, etc etc)

Hope this is what you’re looking for
Jason
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 10:06 PM   #3
darkchi1d
Rep
Drives: 650i Gran Coupe

Hi mate,

Thanks for the help, it's exactly what I was looking for. PM sent and I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again.

On the electronics being screwed I've heard its down to local protectionist privacy regulations (and yes I do see the irony here). In Abu Dhabi for example most cars are extra gimped to prevent data collection on locals that's exported out of the country. It's really annoying.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 12:45 AM   #4
Anand B
Registered
Rep
Drives: M850i G15 & M6 F12

Hi Guys,

Just saw this thread and need your help! I faced the same issue as darkchi1d, I also have a 2019 M850i from Abu Dhabi.

@darkchi1d, did you manage to unlock the Connected Drive software?

Thanks,

Anand
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 08:39 AM   #5
Slabang
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i

Hey darkchi1d
I've also recently bought a BMW from 2018 and found the same issue and wondering if you managed to solve it.
I've found one mechanic that says they can do it for 3k AED
Appreciate 0