M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Pricing

12-21-2022, 01:47 PM   #1
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Pricing

I was just curious what the MX-5 RF runs for and was floored when a no-option Club came out to $40k+. It's been a while since I've bought a new car, and we all know that used prices have been on stilts. I was anticipating low-to-maybe-mid $30s for a nicely spec'd RF.

How removed am I from society??

I've been tossing the idea around for another fun car, and I've always enjoyed the spec/delivery process for a brand-spanking new car, but I just don't see anything that's new that tickles my fancy short of spending six figures. I thought the MX-5 RF would be a viable option, but at $40k? That's eye watering.

What are you folks getting into nowadays? At this point, it's about value, not necessarily affordability. That just isn't $40k worth of fun.
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2022, 07:07 PM   #2
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Yes, things have become expensive. Although I don't understand the point of the RF. It adds 100lbs to the car.

I purchased a '23 BRZ. It was basically $33.5k with delivery and the STi short throw shifter.....MSRP. Then registration/tax/etc.

I was really waiting for the new STi, then Subaru canceled it. So they only other thing that trips my trigger that I could comfortably afford would have been a Camaro SS 1LE or Mach 1 Mustang GT.
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2022, 07:24 PM   #3
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

You're dead set on another planet if you think just about anything goes for 30K anymore. Kia's are $60K man.
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2022, 09:39 PM   #4
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I second the BRZ. Seems like a fun little car and dynamically superior to the Miata at a better price. But ofc no targa/convertible option like the Miata.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2022, 08:16 AM   #5
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I second the BRZ. Seems like a fun little car and dynamically superior to the Miata at a better price. But ofc no targa/convertible option like the Miata.
Doesn't hurt too, that the new engine is VASTLY superior to the outgoing one. My '15 BRZ was fun, but had the dreaded tq dip and you really had to wring it out to get it moving.

The new one (a 2.4 vs 2.0) has much better tq and midrange and still is happy to rev. Although it doesn't feel quite as dramatic because there is so much more "under the peak" so to speak.

Assuming the roads aren't too bad, I should be picking mine up from the shop today after having coilovers, catback, and new wheels/tires installed. We got a touch of freezing drizzle and very little snow over night.

But it's 3F out, with a -20 wind chill and 55+ mph guts, and the car is on summer tires. Don't want to put it in a ditch with only 700 miles on it.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2022, 08:24 AM   #6
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
You're dead set on another planet if you think just about anything goes for 30K anymore. Kia's are $60K man.
It's bannanas!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 08:38 AM   #7
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
It's bannanas!
I paid just under $70K for my 997 and that is properly insane but man, compared to a new car, it's not looking that bad!
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2022, 08:39 AM   #8
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
To be fair, its fairly aligned to inflation

https://www.calculator.net/inflation...pe=1&x=99&y=22

A 1990 NA loaded MX5 was listed at about 17k with hardtop, which translate to about $38k today.
Today's ND RF starts at $35k, the soft top starts at $28k, certainly today's version is far far superior on all metrics from 30+ years of improvements, its faster, its better equipped, and its far safer

It's only wage growth that has not kept up.

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 2
      12-22-2022, 08:41 AM   #9
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
In the $40k-$60k market, I'm not really seeing anything better than another E9xM or modern GT-350. Clearly not brand new, but dang I don't see anything new that's worth it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Yes, things have become expensive. Although I don't understand the point of the RF. It adds 100lbs to the car.

I purchased a '23 BRZ. It was basically $33.5k with delivery and the STi short throw shifter.....MSRP. Then registration/tax/etc.

I was really waiting for the new STi, then Subaru canceled it. So they only other thing that trips my trigger that I could comfortably afford would have been a Camaro SS 1LE or Mach 1 Mustang GT.
Admittedly, it's aesthetic for me. Well, that and I don't care for convertibles. I'd buy a convertible Miata and never put the top down. It was the same thing when I had Jeeps.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 09:36 AM   #10
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
In the $40k-$60k market, I'm not really seeing anything better than another E9xM or modern GT-350. Clearly not brand new, but dang I don't see anything new that's worth it!
$55k gets you a Mach 1, which is essentially a GT-350 with the Coyote vs the Voodoo. You know, in case you don't want your engine to drink oil like gas or spin a bearing.

If you're willing to go over $60k, you can get the Mach 1 Premium with B&O stereo and Mach 1 Handling Package.

Quote:
Admittedly, it's aesthetic for me. Well, that and I don't care for convertibles. I'd buy a convertible Miata and never put the top down. It was the same thing when I had Jeeps.
The RF does look good, but not good enough to add 100lbs to a 2200lb vehicle, at least for me. That and I'm not sure what it does to trunk space if you wanted two people on a long weekend.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2022, 09:41 AM   #11
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
I was just curious what the MX-5 RF runs for and was floored when a no-option Club came out to $40k+. It's been a while since I've bought a new car, and we all know that used prices have been on stilts. I was anticipating low-to-maybe-mid $30s for a nicely spec'd RF.

I've been tossing the idea around for another fun car, and I've always enjoyed the spec/delivery process for a brand-spanking new car, but I just don't see anything that's new that tickles my fancy short of spending six figures. I thought the MX-5 RF would be a viable option, but at $40k? That's eye watering.

What are you folks getting into nowadays? At this point, it's about value, not necessarily affordability. That just isn't $40k worth of fun.
Given how much housing has gone up in the last 20 years without comparable increases in wages (like 3-4x more) it continually surprises ME how much other people are surprised when "other stuff" starts rising up to the same level of inflation we've seen. Like what did everyone think would happen?
      12-22-2022, 09:45 AM   #12
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Quote:

The ND Miata has always been a bit more expensive versus its stellar competition (BRZ/86/etc), the RF doubly so. That being said there is nothing like top-down driving and the ND RF is such a fun little car, having owned an ND1 RF for ~2.5 years. The soft top is lighter but louder inside and not as nice to look at. A roll bar can be fitted to either style for track duty.

I have yet to drive the new 86 but I owned a gen 1 FRS for 50K miles as well and I hate to admit I would pick the Miata over it. Coupe wins the 1 car garage with back seats, trunk, more usability etc. Pure fun goes to the Miata.

My wife and I will purchase an ND2 eventually, although probably seeking a gently used one to offset those price premiums you see. Check the forums ( https://forum.miata.net/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=123 ) for enthusiast owned examples. As everyone's finances tighten in 2023 prices will drop.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 10:36 AM   #13
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
$55k gets you a Mach 1, which is essentially a GT-350 with the Coyote vs the Voodoo. You know, in case you don't want your engine to drink oil like gas or spin a bearing.

If you're willing to go over $60k, you can get the Mach 1 Premium with B&O stereo and Mach 1 Handling Package.

The RF does look good, but not good enough to add 100lbs to a 2200lb vehicle, at least for me. That and I'm not sure what it does to trunk space if you wanted two people on a long weekend.
The Voodoo reliability scares me, so you have a point. High revving V8, though... Just the price to pay with these motors I suppose.

It will be a toy, through and through. Times in the mountains, back roads, track time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Zed View Post
The ND Miata has always been a bit more expensive versus its stellar competition (BRZ/86/etc), the RF doubly so. That being said there is nothing like top-down driving and the ND RF is such a fun little car, having owned an ND1 RF for ~2.5 years. The soft top is lighter but louder inside and not as nice to look at. A roll bar can be fitted to either style for track duty.

I have yet to drive the new 86 but I owned a gen 1 FRS for 50K miles as well and I hate to admit I would pick the Miata over it. Coupe wins the 1 car garage with back seats, trunk, more usability etc. Pure fun goes to the Miata.

My wife and I will purchase an ND2 eventually, although probably seeking a gently used one to offset those price premiums you see. Check the forums ( https://forum.miata.net/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=123 ) for enthusiast owned examples. As everyone's finances tighten in 2023 prices will drop.
Good choice on the E86 as well. I had one of those locked in with PPI and all. Still have a soft spot for the long nosed gals...
Appreciate 1
86Zed932.00
      12-22-2022, 11:21 AM   #14
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

i just picked up an m2 comp dct for low 60s. its probably the only new-ish car that still feels small aside from the 86 / cayman / supra. the mustangs and camaros are like gtr size and entirely too massive for me. S55 is pretty bulletproof, good mpg, no rattles, heated steering wheel and seats.

e92 is a solid option if you can find a well sorted one for a good price. but then you have to deal with 10 year old issues that plague most cars with things just wearing out and needing replacement. temp sensors, bushings, etc. I tried to find a good one but the prices were just nutty, most had accidents, boring color combos etc... so picked up an m2c instead.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2022, 12:05 PM   #15
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Just wait out this market. Correction is continuing
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2022, 04:00 PM   #16
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
i just picked up an m2 comp dct for low 60s. its probably the only new-ish car that still feels small aside from the 86 / cayman / supra. the mustangs and camaros are like gtr size and entirely too massive for me. S55 is pretty bulletproof, good mpg, no rattles, heated steering wheel and seats.

e92 is a solid option if you can find a well sorted one for a good price. but then you have to deal with 10 year old issues that plague most cars with things just wearing out and needing replacement. temp sensors, bushings, etc. I tried to find a good one but the prices were just nutty, most had accidents, boring color combos etc... so picked up an m2c instead.
I hadn't even considered an M2C. That would actually be an excellent choice. I've been flirting with the idea of an F80, but M2C sounds like a better choice.

I loved my stripper E90M. Were it not for a Snapchatting & Driving teen that totaled that out, I'd still have it today. Like you, I think people are off their rocker when it comes to pricing on these right now. My spec was top choice (no options, cloth, 6MT, slicktop, single hump, etc.) and I bought it for probably half of what it would go for today.
Appreciate 2
Humdizzle6070.50
Donatello.1083.50
      12-22-2022, 08:47 PM   #17
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
I hadn't even considered an M2C. That would actually be an excellent choice. I've been flirting with the idea of an F80, but M2C sounds like a better choice.

I loved my stripper E90M. Were it not for a Snapchatting & Driving teen that totaled that out, I'd still have it today. Like you, I think people are off their rocker when it comes to pricing on these right now. My spec was top choice (no options, cloth, 6MT, slicktop, single hump, etc.) and I bought it for probably half of what it would go for today.
People being off their rocker is why I haven't put a Ducati in my garage.
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2022, 04:39 AM   #18
Llarry
///M driver
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6-speed

Garage List
A year ago I decided to replace my 2004 Sprinter van with a new Honda Ridgeline pickup for farm utility duties. I ran into the standard "few vehicles on the lot" issues of the time. Although I wanted to buy a bottom-of-the-line Sport model for about 40,000, I couldn't find one. I ended up buying a top-of-the-line Black Edition (in pearl white) for about 10K more. I'm pleased with the pickup but 50K for a Honda pickup? Yeah, this is a new reality for sure.
      12-23-2022, 10:28 AM   #19
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llarry View Post
A year ago I decided to replace my 2004 Sprinter van with a new Honda Ridgeline pickup for farm utility duties. I ran into the standard "few vehicles on the lot" issues of the time. Although I wanted to buy a bottom-of-the-line Sport model for about 40,000, I couldn't find one. I ended up buying a top-of-the-line Black Edition (in pearl white) for about 10K more. I'm pleased with the pickup but 50K for a Honda pickup? Yeah, this is a new reality for sure.
What goes up....comes down
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 11:34 AM   #20
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

If I had 40-45k to spend on a sports car today, it would be either the new BRZ or a base model Z and throw in an aftermarket LSD. Hard to beat the value of the base Z, assuming they exist and can be bought. Still haven't seen one.

There's always the American options, but, meh. They don't speak to me. Although the new generation Mustang that was just released is pretty nice.
      12-23-2022, 02:33 PM   #21
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
If I had 40-45k to spend on a sports car today, it would be either the new BRZ or a base model Z and throw in an aftermarket LSD. Hard to beat the value of the base Z, assuming they exist and can be bought. Still haven't seen one.

There's always the American options, but, meh. They don't speak to me. Although the new generation Mustang that was just released is pretty nice.
Base Z is good value, with one LSD mod. They seem to be non-existent though.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 06:51 PM   #22
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
What goes up....comes down
Is that how your blue pill works?
Appreciate 0