M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Comparison: 2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD vs 2007 BMW 335xi

09-08-2007, 08:55 PM   #1
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Comparison: 2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD vs 2007 BMW 335xi

I went and drove the new CTS. and did a little write up. It maybe a bit too formal, but I wanted to setup a similar comparison a mag would do.

VS

What everyone has been waiting for. The new 2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD vs BMW's juggernaut 335xi.

2nd: 2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD

High's: interior, styling, ride

Lows: Heavy, starting the vehicle, clearance

We ended up driving both CTS's trim. A base 3.6 V6 RWD model putting out 258 HP and the Direct Injected 3.6 V6 putting out 304 HP AWD model. The only comment I will make on the low end trim in this comparison is that acceleration is adequate. Though the difference between the two engines is dramatic. The acceleration difference is quite noticeable.

The interior outclasses the 335xi's interior easily. It doesn't break a sweat. It uses soft touch materials practically everywhere. Fit and finish was top notch. The center console design is elegant and very pleasing to the eye. Though with all those buttons, it has a nice clean look which the BMW lacks. The seats are definitely better comfort wise on the CTS and has more legroom then the BMW. The only complaint about the interior is the hideous steering wheel and the "pretend key" ignition. I would rather have a push button. What was Cadillac thinking?

The 304 HP Direct Injected 3.6 V6 delivers its power through the new Hydra-Matic 6L50 6 speed automatic transmission. Power delivery is nice and smooth and moves the CTS really nicely. The ride is typical Cadillac, yet it isn't. The CTS is very comfortable. It absorbs the bumps like a typical Cadillac would. But, it is firm not bouncy like a typical Cadillac. It is the best of both worlds. Though I bet it wouldn't be able to handle like the 3 series due to the compromises Cadillac had to do to give the suspension the ride it does. This is speculation though since I couldn't exactly put this theory to the test as I wasn't on a track. Motortrend's issue with the noise issue with the engine is blown out of the water. While it does give the engine more noise then a non-DI engine, it gives the CTS a distinctive growl. It doesn't give the engine a unrefined feel.

1st Place: 2007 BMW 335xi

High's: Acceleration, low end grunt, handling

Low's: small, interior, D Mode

The 335i is the standard of the industry. The interior is decent and the drive is amazing. It's powerplant is top notch and nothing in the class can match it.

The interior is not as fancy as the CTS's. Doesn't use as good materials as the CTS. But, everything is driver oriented. Every control is angled towards the driver in some way. The iDrive screen is a bit angled toward the driver, etc. The seats are supportive when going around curves. Though the leg room is more restrictive then the CTS due to the 3 series being smaller.

The N54 3.0 Twin Turbo Direct Injected Inline 6 engine puts out 300 HP and 300 lb of torque. The astonishing fact about this engine is that it makes the 300 lb of torque at just 1400 RPM. That's diesel like low end torque. This gives the 335xi a huge step up above the CTS. It pulls wonderfully at just 1700 RPM. And comes to life at 2500 RPM. The steering gives wonderful feedback at speed though a bit numb at slow speeds. My only complaint about the drive is that in D mode it is VERY tame. The car is unresponsive and there is a little bit lag when accelerating from a stop while in D. I will always recommend driving in DS and M mode because the car is far more responsive and gets rid of the lag that is in D mode. The engine has a wonderful note when pushed above 3K RPM.

Conclusion: The 335xi is still the standard of the industry. Though the CTS has been greatly improved and can be taken seriously in the industry. Though it is confused in which class it is in and which car it competes against the 3 series or the 5 series. The weight of the CTS is what really holds the vehicle back. The CTS( and most of GM's vehicles while I am at it) needs to be put on a diet. As some of you can tell, my value in the test was the drive and handling which the 335xi excels at and that is why it won this comparison.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2007, 08:57 PM   #2
jetblk328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

wait, whats this fake key thing?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2007, 09:17 PM   #3
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblk328i View Post
wait, whats this fake key thing?
It has keyless entry and start, etc. But, it isn't a push button. Cadillac did something weird. They made a device that you turn it to start it like you would with a key. It's on the steering column like a normal ignition.

More info:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=50494
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2007, 11:56 PM   #4
vshahv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe white

CTS looks really sharp... Cant wait until the V comes out. May be my next move
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2007, 01:31 AM   #5
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Hey man thanks for the nice write up. The CTS looks reeeeally slick this time around imo. Lovin' the new grill. The interior also looks leaps and bounds beyond the outgoing gen's. I'd like to drive one.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2007, 08:43 AM   #6
jetblk328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
It has keyless entry and start, etc. But, it isn't a push button. Cadillac did something weird. They made a device that you turn it to start it like you would with a key. It's on the steering column like a normal ignition.

More info:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=50494
oh so its like the nissan thing, where they twist a piece of plastic right?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2007, 01:11 PM   #7
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblk328i View Post
oh so its like the nissan thing, where they twist a piece of plastic right?
Yeah, and I think it is stupid.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2007, 09:05 PM   #8
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

Good write up... I've seen a couple of CTS's driving around Vegas and I'd have to say it's good looking car. Only gripe is that the nose looks too damn low!

Also, I'm impressed how they've developed a DI engine that's an actual contender.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2007, 09:52 PM   #9
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
BMW's juggernaut 335xi?