M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M8 lease transfer question

04-18-2021, 10:12 AM   #1
M4LHR
Rep
Drives: M8

M8 lease transfer question

Hi Guys.

I am working on a lease transfer of m8 after my m4 lease ended. The seller is 900 miles away from me. Do you suggest getting the car shipped or just driving it back ?

I am inclined to drive the M8 back ?😁
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2021, 10:17 AM   #2
PappadocM8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Convertible

Is this your first swap?

Ship it on a closed container. I've done it for my last 5 swaps including my M8 convertible I had shipped from Miami to Chicago. Cost about $1K for me and worth it. Just have to find a reputable shipping company.

Where is the seller and where do you live? I've also flown many places and driven cars back half way across the country. Personally not my preferred method.

Unless you physically inspect the car prior to the swap, you will own it before driving it anyway. My car sat in the seller's garage a few days before it was picked up. PM if you need any help.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2021, 10:22 AM   #3
M4LHR
Rep

Thanks Pappdoc. This is my first lease swap. Closed container shipping quote was $1.4K. I’ll PM you

I looked at roadrunner and they quoted me 1,400 for the closed container shipping.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2021, 11:21 AM   #4
PappadocM8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4LHR View Post
Thanks Pappdoc. This is my first lease swap. Closed container shipping quote was $1.4K. I’ll PM you

I looked at roadrunner and they quoted me 1,400 for the closed container shipping.
Check out this post. I commented in here on some tips.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27193888
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2021, 12:06 PM   #5
M4LHR
Rep

Thanks 🙏
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2021, 10:11 AM   #6
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

+1 for driving it back. What better way to get to know your new car while simultaneously enjoying our beautiful country.
      04-19-2021, 12:42 PM   #7
Quinn A
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I would ship it, the M8 seats are great for 2 trips under 2 hours, surprisingly terrible after that.

I drove mine back 4 hours and was expecting it to be a lot more comfortable.
2022 Cayenne Turbo coupe Catless/ Tune
2022 Huracan STO
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 01:16 PM   #8
Jenner
///M
Rep
Drives: M8C/Taycan Turbo/Roadster 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn A View Post
I would ship it, the M8 seats are great for 2 trips under 2 hours, surprisingly terrible after that.
So naturally how the seats feel to you means they feel that way for everyone?

Blanket statements suck.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 02:53 PM   #9
PappadocM8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Quote:

Couldn't agree more. I just drove my car 2.5 hours each way on a road trip and it was definitely not a comfy experience. Seats are NOT very friendly for longer trips or if you have back issues like I do. Definitely disappointed in the seat comfort department. But they sure look good!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 03:59 PM   #10
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Lease Swaps can be eye opening- I personally would rather physically touch the car while up there and review it vs getting it shipped and then having to deal with a headache or two post delivery. And you can still ship it once you inspect it.

PS: I ran thru this thread fast so Im not sure what due diligence you have done in the process.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 08:59 PM   #11
PappadocM8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Lease Swaps can be eye opening- I personally would rather physically touch the car while up there and review it vs getting it shipped and then having to deal with a headache or two post delivery. And you can still ship it once you inspect it.

PS: I ran thru this thread fast so Im not sure what due diligence you have done in the process.
Yeah, I get riddled with anxiety every swap I've done since I took over the lease before physically touching the car. All the cars I've swapped have been cross country. You could fly and inspect the car before moving forward with your Stage 2 paperwork. However, no guarantees once you leave that the car couldn't get damaged prior to final approval and picking it up. Just gotta hope the person doesn't crash or scratch it.

I had the M8 taken to the BMW dealer where it was purchased and independently had the service manager and a collision guy inspect every inch of the car. I did this on FaceTime with them. Also did the same thing with the truck driver who picked up the car.

Even if you fly there at the end, YOU ALREADY LEGALLY OWN THE CAR. So you could call bs and that the seller screwed you to BMW, but too bad pal, you are the new owner.

I also did a ton of research on the seller, got his drivers license, knew his employer, researched him online, etc. Made me feel a little better about taking over a lease on a $160k car without seeing it first!

This isn't for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 09:36 PM   #12
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappadoc33 View Post
Yeah, I get riddled with anxiety every swap I've done since I took over the lease before physically touching the car. All the cars I've swapped have been cross country. You could fly and inspect the car before moving forward with your Stage 2 paperwork. However, no guarantees once you leave that the car couldn't get damaged prior to final approval and picking it up. Just gotta hope the person doesn't crash or scratch it.

I had the M8 taken to the BMW dealer where it was purchased and independently had the service manager and a collision guy inspect every inch of the car. I did this on FaceTime with them. Also did the same thing with the truck driver who picked up the car.

Even if you fly there at the end, YOU ALREADY LEGALLY OWN THE CAR. So you could call bs and that the seller screwed you to BMW, but too bad pal, you are new owner.

I also did a ton of research on the seller, got his drivers license, knew his employer, researched him online, etc. Made me feel a little better about taking over a lease on a $160k car without seeing it first!

This isn't for everyone.
Thanks for all the tips as I'll definitely follow them if I get bold enough to do a lease swap. I'm a complete neophyte in that world with my M850i being the first lease ever. I think your last statement summed it up well.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 09:26 AM   #13
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:

Even if you fly there at the end, YOU ALREADY LEGALLY OWN THE CAR. So you could call bs and that the seller screwed you to BMW, but too bad pal, you are the new owner.

This isn't for everyone.
Thats why I would have someone touch the car or I would myself pre final contract. My assumption (his own words "working") was the OP had not done the final papers yet.

Its a moot point if he did and he will just have to deal with a car that was not broken in by himself.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 01:27 PM   #14
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Hi Guys.

I am working on a lease transfer of m8 after my m4 lease ended. The seller is 900 miles away from me. Do you suggest getting the car shipped or just driving it back ?

I am inclined to drive the M8 back ?😁
I've swapped some 13 cars now. However, I've only ever assumed one--I was the seller in all other cases.

The only value I can add here is that, in every case--including the lease assumption on my end, folks were reasonable and fare.

In your shoes, I would drive it back for two reasons:
1. you get to have a face-to-face with the guy (places onus on them to ensure it's ready-to-go)
2. why the F wouldn't you drive your new car back 900 miles without the hassles of regular daily commitments

Hope all goes well and great choice--you'll love it!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 02:07 PM   #15
M4LHR
Rep

Thank you all for all the helpful feedback. This has been really helpful 🙏

I did check up on the seller
Had the facetime walk through of the car
Had the seller, bmw dealership inspect the car
Talked to the dealership about the car, all was good
Looked up carfax

So far all looks good. Let’s see 🤞
Stage 2 docs are with bmw waiting for the final approval to go pick it up the and sit in the uncomfortable seats for a long drive 😁
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 03:06 PM   #16
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Looked up carfax

Stage 2 docs are with bmw waiting for the final approval to go pick it up the and sit in the uncomfortable seats for a long drive 😁
Congrats!!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 04:13 PM   #17
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
Thank you all for all the helpful feedback. This has been really helpful

Looked up carfax

So far all looks good. Let's see
Stage 2 docs are with bmw waiting for the final approval to go pick it up the and sit in the uncomfortable seats for a long drive
Congrats!!
Not to hijack the thread, but I feel I can ask during cross exam, since OP brought it up during direct: uncomfortable seats.

And Limey might be best to chime in here, too. We've both picked up cars in San Diego and then drove them home. What a great way to get to know your car in a hurry. Mine was an M5 and came back 1200 miles to Portland; Limey, his M8 and came back 1400 miles to Seattle. Then.....THEN......he moved and drove it to Florida. How bad could the seats be?

Asking for a friend.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2021, 04:19 PM   #18
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbimmer View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you all for all the helpful feedback. This has been really helpful

Looked up carfax

So far all looks good. Let's see
Stage 2 docs are with bmw waiting for the final approval to go pick it up the and sit in the uncomfortable seats for a long drive
Congrats!!
Not to hijack the thread, but I feel I can ask during cross exam, since OP brought it up during direct: uncomfortable seats.

And Limey might be best to chime in here, too. We've both picked up cars in San Diego and then drove them home. What a great way to get to know your car in a hurry. Mine was an M5 and came back 1200 miles to Portland; Limey, his M8 and came back 1400 miles to Seattle. Then.....THEN......he moved and drove it to Florida. How bad could the seats be?

Asking for a friend.
They are great seats. Really!

The M5 seats are better only because they have massage. I had no issue driving my M8 over 3,000 miles to FL... nor do I now. They're ventilated... and heated as are the left and right armrests.

I'm not clear as to the origin of the concern.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 07:06 PM   #19
PappadocM8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Looked up carfax

Great news! BMW is really fast with approving the final stages too. Don't forget to have your car insurance put on the second BMW approves the transfer.

Congrats and have a safe ride home.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 09:25 AM   #20
Niptucker
Rep

Quote:
Great news! BMW is really fast with approving the final stages too. Don't forget to have your car insurance put on the second BMW approves the transfer.

Congrats and have a safe ride home.
UGH I wish that was still the case... its been a brutally painful experience every step has taken a full 7 work days and we over nighted everything we needed too... sorta annoying that I have had insurance on a car that I dont own/can't drive for the last 2.5 weeks. It also seems like everyone I speak to there has a different answer to the same question and you can't talk to anyone in the lease assumption department.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 02:19 PM   #21
gatordent2007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 M50i

Garage List
2016 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niptucker View Post
UGH I wish that was still the case... its been a brutally painful experience every step has taken a full 7 work days and we over nighted everything we needed too... sorta annoying that I have had insurance on a car that I dont own/can't drive for the last 2.5 weeks. It also seems like everyone I speak to there has a different answer to the same question and you can't talk to anyone in the lease assumption department.
How long ago did you start the process. And why did you insure the vehicle before it was in your name?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 11:25 PM   #22
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
They are great seats. Really!

The M5 seats are better only because they have massage. I had no issue driving my M8 over 3,000 miles to FL... nor do I now. They're ventilated... and heated as are the left and right armrests.

I'm not clear as to the origin of the concern.
Can't speak to the M8 seats but the seats in my 2020 M850i are very comfortable. Just returned from a road trip to San Diego which included 6 hours in the car on the way out (no stops) and one brief stop on the way back to top off the gas tank (at AZ prices in Yuma vs CA ludicrous prices).
Appreciate 0