M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion When it rains, it pours...

11-01-2022, 07:58 PM   #23
fmzip
Spoiler Bandit
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i / 2016 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
Did they replace the bumper? I heard that because of the sensors the bumpers can't be re-painted, but have to be replaced? Are you happy with the work?

Extremely happy with the work. The bumper was replaced.
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2022, 05:36 PM   #24
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

The damage estimate came in at about $4100 which is about half of what I expected. At least the bumper can be ordered now even if repair doesn't happen until late February or March.

I'll update again when the car is fixed or something else interesting happens

Rob
Appreciate 2
      11-12-2022, 07:21 PM   #25
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Slight update:

I received an email with the following pdf letter attachment.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-14-2022, 08:08 AM   #26
mwat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & LCI X3 35i M Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Man, this sucks. I hope they can get it figured out for you, this is such a bad position to be in especially if you were just about to sell...

Not sure if you can get DV in Canada, I suggested it in a thread a little while ago and someone told me that "Only in America would you think of getting DV/Suing for a non injury car accident" or something to that extent...

I guess only Americans care about buying car's that haven't been in accidents.../s

GL OP!
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2022, 11:34 PM   #27
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

I received another email from SGI (Saskatchewan Government Insurance). The wording is strange, but obviously confirms I am not at fault for the accident. It's probably still another 2 months before I can finally have the car repaired.

Side note: Part of the passenger side dash was recently replaced because of a defect in the leather. They did a good job, no complaints there!

Some information has been removed (phone, email, name, plate, claim numbers)

-------------------

December 14, 2022

Claim Number:
Your Vehicle: 2022 BMW M850I XDRIVE CABRIOLET AWD
Your Plate:
Date of Loss: October 29, 2022

I am pleased to let you know that you will not have to pay your deductible. This accident will not affect your safety rating under the Safe Driver Recognition program.

If required, SGI will pay for a rental vehicle that is similar to yours. Enterprise is SGI’s preferred rental provider and can be reached at 1-844-665-4703, however, you may contact the rental company of your choice.

You are approved for a rental vehicle at a rate of $43.99 per day. If your vehicle is still driveable, we ask that you try to avoid weekend rental where possible and that you do not arrange for a replacement vehicle until all parts required for your repairs are available and your vehicle has been taken to the shop for repairs.

Your vehicle insurance coverage requires that you have all repairs and documents completed within two years from the date of loss. For your safety, we recommend that you repair the vehicle as soon as possible to avoid further damage.

If you have any questions or concerns, please e-mail me at

Auto Claims Team 11
Adjuster
SGI Claims
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2022, 10:36 AM   #28
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

I just got a phone call and due to cancellations I can finally take my car in December 28th for repair. Estimated 4 days.

I will ask if paintless dent removal is an option on the metal or not. What do you guys think? The paint is not damaged and that metal only buckled because the bumper was hit. Although it is dented on a body line. I would really prefer no metal body work if possible.

Rob
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-28-2022, 11:10 PM   #29
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

I dropped the car off and am told it will take possibly 3 days.

I was given a Mitsubishi RVR SUV rental (yuck). It's not even equipped with winter tires (that's extra of course!).

The way things go for me, I hope they don't F up the repair somehow.

Rob
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2023, 07:09 PM   #30
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

I am told the car is ready, but there's one part that has to come from Germany and it's a plastic support rod for the bumper. The original one is cracked. The expected delivery time is 2 to 4 weeks so I was given the option of just waiting or getting my car back and returning when the part is in. Of course I said I want my car back!

I'm a little apprehensive about pickup tomorrow because knowing my luck, something won't be 'right'. I noticed on My BMW app that the top has been down while it's in the shop so it better not be dusty inside or hell will be raised.

...to be continued

Rob
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2023, 08:05 PM   #31
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Not very happy. The paint is scratched up a lot and the metal flake from the rear quarter doesn't match the rest of the car. I went to pick it up this morning and it was delayed due to cleanup being needed. Yet it's given back like this? I never did those scratches!

The site of the metal repair has a horrible look in sun.

Rob
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-04-2023, 09:57 PM   #32
fmzip
Spoiler Bandit
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i / 2016 228i

How disappointing. I would refuse to accept this....
Appreciate 2
      01-05-2023, 10:11 PM   #33
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

In first pic it looks like they didn’t finish it properly before clearcoat

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2023, 10:12 PM   #34
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post
How disappointing. I would refuse to accept this....
+1

Appreciate 1
      01-06-2023, 01:47 AM   #35
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

Are you just referring to the swirl marks? If so, they can easily polish those out so don't stress that (they should have done that obviously before you picked the car up).

Obviously if the scratch wasn't there and it's deeper than the clearcoat and in the paint....they need to definitely fix that. Wasn't that the panel they refinished.....if so, you obviously have pics at pickup that show it's there.
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2023, 05:11 AM   #36
balefire
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche 996

Not all body shops are created equal.
How did you pick your body shop?
What other kind of cars were there?
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2023, 03:17 AM   #37
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
Are you just referring to the swirl marks? If so, they can easily polish those out so don't stress that (they should have done that obviously before you picked the car up).
The clear coat scuffs/scratches are superficial so they could be corrected by polish. There's also a big spot of haze in the fender clearcoat that the manager noticed. Well, as long as it's the clearcoat. That too can be polished.

It's all a moot point though because they will be repainting the rear fender and bumper to try and match the metallic effect better. They had no issue with agreeing to re-do it, but just absolutely would not admit there was a noticeable difference in the metallic texture. As they said, it was just something that I was seeing. Then I simply asked them point blank if they can do it better or not and of course I still did not get a straight answer.

I'm not saying they did a bad job, but if they can match it better then I simply want that done.

Rob
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2023, 05:31 PM   #38
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

Quote:
The clear coat scuffs/scratches are superficial so they could be corrected by polish. There's also a big spot of haze in the fender clearcoat that the manager noticed. Well, as long as it's the clearcoat. That too can be polished.

It's all a moot point though because they will be repainting the rear fender and bumper to try and match the metallic effect better. They had no issue with agreeing to re-do it, but just absolutely would not admit there was a noticeable difference in the metallic texture. As they said, it was just something that I was seeing. Then I simply asked them point blank if they can do it better or not and of course I still did not get a straight answer.

I'm not saying they did a bad job, but if they can match it better then I simply want that done.

Rob

Did they blend into the door? They should….
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2023, 09:21 PM   #39
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
Did they blend into the door? They should….
Yes, but blending doesn't matter when the metallic flake effect is considerably different.

Sorry, a bit blurry, but you can still easily see the difference.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-20-2023, 03:13 PM   #40
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Well, I got hit again today. Not my fault either. Although this isn't anywhere near as bad, it could have been totally disastrous if the other car was 2 inches closer it would have taken out the whole driver side of my car.

I was stopped at a light, behind some other cars. This person wanted to turn left and although the snow buildup made the lane too narrow, he drove into the left lane anyhow. His car was literally 2 inches from sideswiping me. The passenger mirror on his car made contact with the driver side mirror on my car.

He pulled over and this time I let a few choice f-bombs go. Not at the driver so much, but the situation he put me in. I just waited 3 months to get my car fixed and it's still not quite right with the paint. The passenger in the car kept telling me I didn't need to swear and I apologized, but said I don't need this shit happening right now.

Of course the other guy is driving a wreck of a car. His last name is 'Dick'. The passenger looked like he just woke up out of a ditch.

I don't know why I am having so much bad luck with this car. It's just been a nightmare since I got it and I absolutely want it the FK to go away.

The top of the mirror housing is scuffed. Luckily the PPF took 95% of the damage. However the leading black piano plastic trim is deeply scratched. I think this is a whole new side mirror assembly because that part won't be available separate. I am thankful that he didn't slide into the side of my car as he was trying to squeeze into the left turning lane. I swear there was 2 inches between our cars, or less! There was too much snow buildup on the boulevard and he should have NEVER even attempted it. Stupid driver!!!

There might be other damage to the mirror, I will check it later.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 03:03 PM   #41
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, I got hit again today. Not my fault either. Although this isn't anywhere near as bad, it could have been totally disastrous if the other car was 2 inches closer it would have taken out the whole driver side of my car.

I was stopped at a light, behind some other cars. This person wanted to turn left and although the snow buildup made the lane too narrow, he drove into the left lane anyhow. His car was literally 2 inches from sideswiping me. The passenger mirror on his car made contact with the driver side mirror on my car.

He pulled over and this time I let a few choice f-bombs go. Not at the driver so much, but the situation he put me in. I just waited 3 months to get my car fixed and it's still not quite right with the paint. The passenger in the car kept telling me I didn't need to swear and I apologized, but said I don't need this shit happening right now.

Of course the other guy is driving a wreck of a car. His last name is 'Dick'. The passenger looked like he just woke up out of a ditch.

I don't know why I am having so much bad luck with this car. It's just been a nightmare since I got it and I absolutely want it the FK to go away.

The top of the mirror housing is scuffed. Luckily the PPF took 95% of the damage. However the leading black piano plastic trim is deeply scratched. I think this is a whole new side mirror assembly because that part won't be available separate. I am thankful that he didn't slide into the side of my car as he was trying to squeeze into the left turning lane. I swear there was 2 inches between our [...]
Ugh. Sometimes I wonder if some people driving junked cars might do this kind of thing to really nice cars on purpose.

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 03:49 PM   #42
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, but blending doesn't matter when the metallic flake effect is considerably different.

Sorry, a bit blurry, but you can still easily see the difference.
The absolute issue with metallic vs uni color, e.g. Alpine White. I've got a lovely scratch (albeit small) thanks to an impolite passenger in a tall or jacked up SUV (checked against my wife's X5 and her doors would be slightly lower but same damage).

Hard to get a pic with the absolute glass finish of the Gtechniq crystal serum ultra ceramic coating. Also had to use Google's AI magic eraser to remove the garage door opener, etc. from the ceiling. Pretty sure I'm just going to live with it as no way in hell a body shop can properly blend the 3-layer Tanzanite flake.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 06:40 PM   #43
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
The absolute issue with metallic vs uni color, e.g. Alpine White. I've got a lovely scratch (albeit small) thanks to an impolite passenger in a tall or jacked up SUV (checked against my wife's X5 and her doors would be slightly lower but same damage).

Hard to get a pic with the absolute glass finish of the Gtechniq crystal serum ultra ceramic coating. Also had to use Google's AI magic eraser to remove the garage door opener, etc. from the ceiling. Pretty sure I'm just going to live with it as no way in hell a body shop can properly blend the 3-layer Tanzanite flake.
My mobile paint guy is from the Lamborghini dealership and can match normal and even their individual paints on million dollar vehicles near perfectly if not 100%.

Appreciate 1
      01-22-2023, 07:23 PM   #44
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

Quote:

There might be other damage to the mirror, I will check it later.
So sorry man. As you said it could of been WAY worse so if it helps try to think of what didn't happen. Is he gonna pay out of pocket to fix it. Or is he a low life welcher type ya think? Not worth putting thru insurance at this level. So hope he coughs up.
Appreciate 0