M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion How reliable is in-car video recorder?

01-15-2022, 03:23 AM   #1
Kurator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 GC Competition

How reliable is in-car video recorder?

Question for those who already have M8 cars. How reliable the video recorder? Does it record at all times, when driving? Or is it better to get aftermarket video recorder?
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2022, 04:15 AM   #2
Justao
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 F91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurator View Post
Question for those who already have M8 cars. How reliable the video recorder? Does it record at all times, when driving? Or is it better to get aftermarket video recorder?
Not sure how reliable it is but I believe you can choose whether to always record or when involved into accident. It saves the video when the accident occurs 20s before accident and 40s in total if not wrong…

Not long ago I was changing the lane in traffic driving around 20mph and the lorry didn't let me in, I was in front changing the lane and he slightly hit the rear wing, wheel and bumper. The builtin camera didn't save the video but I was able to save it manually. I've saved the camera app as a shortkey on a number button and saved the video manually, as I did mention its always recording in the background and when you start the video it starts from 20s
Appreciate 4
rw99102.00
c12h231.00
Kurator191.50
      01-15-2022, 06:54 AM   #3
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

I don't see why it can't record for a longer time period. Why not allow a SD card to be inserted. This 20 and 40 second deal makes it a bit of a joke as a useful item to me.
Appreciate 2
Kurator191.50
      01-15-2022, 07:23 AM   #4
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurator View Post
I purchased an aftermarket one because I wanted the parking feature too. I've seen many a car get major damage in our parking lots while parked.
so far, I'm very happy with it and it even records when someone walks around my car near it without touching it. and gives me a red alert when someone hits it, with a shopping cart. it's also wifi, so I can view it remotely anytime anywhere in the world.

I got the Blackvue 900x Plus - 2 channel front and rear. it's hardwired, but you can also run it from the cigarette litter.
Appreciate 1
Kurator191.50
      01-15-2022, 11:19 AM   #5
Justao
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 F91

Quote:
Originally Posted by M8Bimmer View Post
I don't see why it can't record for a longer time period. Why not allow a SD card to be inserted. This 20 and 40 second deal makes it a bit of a joke as a useful item to me.
Well, it does not mean it will save only 1 video… if you choose to record everytime, you will have many videos, just the length of 1 clip is 40s. Not sure how big the hard is but those will be saved into hdd
Appreciate 1
Kurator191.50
      01-15-2022, 11:23 AM   #6
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Discovered today that if you hold down the panorama camera button it automatically starts recording. Long press again to stop it.
      01-15-2022, 12:41 PM   #7
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justao View Post
Quote:
Well, it does not mean it will save only 1 video… if you choose to record everytime, you will have many videos, just the length of 1 clip is 40s. Not sure how big the hard is but those will be saved into hdd
It will definitely hold several. I've got maybe 100+ stored and it keeps holding them in the drive. I assume it will Overwrite the old ones eventually.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 01:39 PM   #8
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Nothing beats a dedicated dual-channel dash cam.
The build-in ones on BMW's or MB's are elegant in that they are build-in and thus hidden but they essentially equate to a $40 dash cam with very limited software and a horrible UI.

I case of accidents or hit & runs the details matter; license plates, car details, recognizing people in usually difficult lighting situations.
You need good camera sensors to record well.
Appreciate 3
M8Bimmer1246.50
Kurator191.50
      01-15-2022, 02:17 PM   #9
M8Bimmer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
The build-in ones on BMW's or MB's are elegant in that they are build-in and thus hidden but they essentially equate to a $40 dash cam with very limited software and a horrible UI.

I case of accidents or hit & runs the details matter; license plates, car details, recognizing people in usually difficult lighting situations.
Ya I was hoping and thinking it's pretty cheesie really. Compared to aftermarket units like you have.
How does one get the footage out of the BMW unit?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 04:17 PM   #10
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post

Ya I was hoping and thinking it's pretty cheesie really. Compared to aftermarket units like you have.
How does one get the footage out of the BMW unit?
SD/USB thimb drive which I've done a couple of times before OTA updates as they wipe out Drive Recorder videos as well as settings.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 04:46 PM   #11
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Pină View Post
Discovered today that if you hold down the panorama camera button it automatically starts recording. Long press again to stop it.
Yep and has been a feature since Drive Recorder launched. I use it on my performance desert drives to record various events and a few other occasions. All of my saved recordings are from the "manual" trigger as thankfully I've never had to rely on the "automatic" that captures the 20 seconds pre and post impact.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 04:51 PM   #12
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justao View Post
Not sure how reliable it is but I believe you can choose whether to always record or when involved into accident. It saves the video when the accident occurs 20s before accident and 40s in total if not wrong…
The settings are actually "manual" and "automatic". The latter is in essence "always on" as it will capture the 20s before and 20s after any impact. However, it will not save a video whatsoever unless there is indeed an impact. The former is to enable the capability of a long press on the panorama camera button on the console to start/stop Drive Recorder.
Appreciate 1
Kurator191.50
      01-15-2022, 04:54 PM   #13
M8Bimmer
Rep

I've had mixed feeling on these recorders. They can burn you or save you depending on fault. Plus driving fast gets recorded as well. Or other fun things we can do in an M8. After all I drive like I own the place.....lol.

I would never accept the plug in stick thing from insurance companies as they don't need to know my eccentricities. That thing would alert them to my blasting moments....no thanks.
I work best alone.

Last edited by M8Bimmer; 01-15-2022 at 05:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
Kurator191.50
      01-15-2022, 05:04 PM   #14
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I've had mixed feeling on these recorders. They can burn you or save you depending on fault. Plus driving fast gets recorded as well. Or other fun things we can do in an M8. After all I drive like I own the place.....lol.

I would never accept the plug in stick thing from insurance companies as they don't need to know eccentricities. That thing would alert them to my blasting moments....no thanks.
I work best alone.
LOL on the latter as would not agree to deploy the Allstate or now Progressive "big brother" solutions to supposedly save me on my insurance bill. Nope never going to happen as it is in their interest vs ours unless you just happen to be the Grandmother that drives only to church on Sunday with 2K annual mileage scenario.
Appreciate 1
Kurator191.50
      01-15-2022, 05:56 PM   #15
M8Bimmer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
LOL on the latter as would not agree to deploy the Allstate or now Progressive "big brother" solutions to supposedly save me on my insurance bill. Nope never going to happen as it is in their interest vs ours unless you just happen to be the Grandmother that drives only to church on Sunday with 2K annual mileage scenario.
Just attach it to the lawn tractor and tell them, " ya I only take it out on Sundays ". And not that far either.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 06:00 PM   #16
M8Bimmer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
They trick the stupid into thinking they're gonna save money. As you said maybe Gramma will. The rest of us performance car lovers will get the shaft eventually.
Attach it to the local ice cream truck guy who cruzes the neighborhood selling treats to the kids. Or a school bus. Tell your agent " see I even stop at all train crossings "
Appreciate 1
Kurator191.50