M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M850 front licence plate holder

01-12-2022, 12:58 PM   #1
EMH
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i convertible

M850 front licence plate holder

Just taken delivery of a white 2019 M850 from a showroom. It had done only 556 miles. Very pleased with the car. No front plate was required in the State it came from, but I need to add one for Maine. The mount for it, part 51-11-8-074-790, was in the trunk. The lower edge fits into slots above the lower grill and from drawings on other sites, it looks like it's secured by pins (plastic?) that fit into the body, which would require drilling holes. I am not going to show the car, so don't need it to be removable, but I want to do it right. By using the BMW part, I can be sure it doesn't interfere with the camera etc. Does anyone have experience with fitting this part and what are the pins that secure it. Thanks, Ed
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2022, 01:33 PM   #2
BigMofoFrog
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMH View Post
Just taken delivery of a white 2019 M850 from a showroom. It had done only 556 miles. Very pleased with the car. No front plate was required in the State it came from, but I need to add one for Maine. The mount for it, part 51-11-8-074-790, was in the trunk. The lower edge fits into slots above the lower grill and from drawings on other sites, it looks like it's secured by pins (plastic?) that fit into the body, which would require drilling holes. I am not going to show the car, so don't need it to be removable, but I want to do it right. By using the BMW part, I can be sure it doesn't interfere with the camera etc. Does anyone have experience with fitting this part and what are the pins that secure it. Thanks, Ed
Just brought my car to europe and fitted the EU plate holder, which fits the same as the US/Canadian ones. When I had the car in Canada I used a tow hook plate holder from Cravenspeed.
The BMW one you basically line up the pins underneath, hold in position and screw in the 4 self tapping screws without pre drilling. Was pretty easy.
If you prefer the tow hook one, it's perfect fit and doesn't interfere with the sensors either. Still have mine for sale in the members sale forum. But the factory one is an easy install if you already have it👍
Attached Images

01-12-2022, 01:48 PM   #3
BigMofoFrog
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
…and Congratulations on your new car!!!
      01-12-2022, 03:28 PM   #4
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

Use a plate tow hook. I've seen some with a quick mount to take it in seconds.
Quit a few out there. I bought this one.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Works great and is quite secure. Ask my leg when it hits it.
Appreciate 1
BMWGUYinCO4061.00
      01-13-2022, 08:06 AM   #5
EMH
Registered
Rep

Thank you BigMofoFrog. Your response was exactly what I needed. The screws went missing in the transaction, but there are plenty of options at the hardware store. One question, did you use screws in just the top holes or in all four? Incidentally this purchase replaces my old 740iL which I owned and loved for 20 of its 23 years. It died last summer. I looked at the current 7 series, but was not impressed. Where did the 'Ultimate Driving Machine' go! Decided to make this my 'Last Hurrah' and so glad I did! It's a magnificent car.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 08:39 AM   #6
BigMofoFrog
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Thank you BigMofoFrog. Your response was exactly what I needed. The screws went missing in the transaction, but there are plenty of options at the hardware store. One question, did you use screws in just the top holes or in all four? Incidentally this purchase replaces my old 740iL which I owned and loved for 20 of its 23 years. It died last summer. I looked at the current 7 series, but was not impressed. Where did the 'Ultimate Driving Machine' go! Decided to make this my 'Last Hurrah' and so glad I did! It's a magnificent car.
You are welcome and I'm glad you are enjoying your car! It's a lot of fun!

I used all 4. You can see the silver ones in the picture. Here is the screw part numbers.

Screws for carrier
51417067920 (4) TS 5x16
Attached Images

01-13-2022, 09:06 AM   #7
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I've had to do this on several cars, including my 650, and to avoid any "oops" moments where the screw slides across the paint or goes in a bit off from where you wanted it, I always drill pilot holes with what is called a brad point bit - it's a bit for wood that has a very sharp needle point on it.
Appreciate 2
M8Bimmer1246.50
EMH1.50
      01-13-2022, 01:33 PM   #8
Ajaxxn
Jax
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Gran Coupe xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
We have a front plate requirement in CA as well…I don't have one on any of my cars…And dont not plan on putting on the 850i GC I ordered…Been driving here for over 25 years and never had an issue or pulled over once (knocking on wood).
      01-13-2022, 04:40 PM   #9
EMH
Registered
Rep

Thanks again BigMofoFrog and everyone else who responded. Problem solved!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 07:23 PM   #10
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

I'd rather drill my thumb than my front bumper. Tow hook plate mount all the way baby!
Appreciate 1
Al Pină1838.50
      01-15-2022, 07:09 AM   #11
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
we require a front plate, but I don't like screw holes. so I used permanent double sided heavy duty black automotive durable tape to Tape it to my m850i convertible.

if you're looking for a no drill method, try double sided tape.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2022, 09:48 AM   #12
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
" permanent double sided heavy duty black automotive durable tape"
Sounds like an infomercial, just waiting for the BUT WAIT there's more!!!
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 2
M8Bimmer1246.50
      01-15-2022, 10:50 AM   #13
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
" permanent double sided heavy duty black automotive durable tape"
Sounds like an infomercial, just waiting for the BUT WAIT there's more!!!
haha, yep. I use the 3M tape, it's like $10 on Amazon.

correction: $16;
3M 1 Inch Width 15 Ft Length VHB 5952 Black Water Resistant Heavy Duty Multipurpose Double Sided Tape https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K4PQG8P...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 12:47 PM   #14
bohoya32
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
Quote:

Don't add the plate. Take the risk. I had the same issue here in NY (different car though).

If you don't street park often it's unlikely you'll need it.
Appreciate 1
Ajaxxn100.00