M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Driving difference between an M850 convertible and an M8 convertible

01-07-2022, 08:06 PM   #1
Footman614
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911

Driving difference between an M850 convertible and an M8 convertible

I am presently driving a 2019 M850 convertible and am possibly looking to trade it in for a 2022 M8 convertible. I did test drive an M8 about a year and a half ago but it was a brief test drive and I don't recall many details. I do remember driving it briefly on the highway and was really impressed by the exhaust sound and quickness of the car. If anyone has more driving time with both and can give me a comparison I would appreciate it. Does it does have that same big/heavy feel that the M850 has or does it feel a little more nimble. I hope to test drive one in the coming weeks but would like some input before. Thank you!
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2022, 10:59 AM   #2
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

I tossed this idea up for some time before pulling trigger on my order of M8 Convertible. Here was what made me choose.

M8 Styling (slight but to me how the 8 series should just look).

Handling of the M components simply hands down light years ahead. One thing I will always say is the M8 does not feel like you are driving a car of that size. The M850 on the other hand well it felt big and sluggish compared.

Spending that kinda cash decided to just take the leap, why not it was still in budget for me.

Bottom line is the S63 is just a beast of a motor.

They are both really great vehicles you cannot go wrong with either, but to me I've had many M40i, M50i's etc and none compared to the true M version of the line. Heck just look underneath at all the different suspension components, that is why the M8 feels so nimble compared to those others.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2022, 12:13 PM   #3
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footman614 View Post
I am presently driving a 2019 M850 convertible and am possibly looking to trade it in for a 2022 M8 convertible. I did test drive an M8 about a year and a half ago but it was a brief test drive and I don't recall many details. I do remember driving it briefly on the highway and was really impressed by the exhaust sound and quickness of the car. If anyone has more driving time with both and can give me a comparison I would appreciate it. Does it does have that same big/heavy feel that the M850 has or does it feel a little more nimble. I hope to test drive one in the coming weeks but would like some input before. Thank you!
The m850i has inter active steering where the rear wheels turn to help parking lot maneuver. At high way speeds, I don't really see a difference; however there is a big difference in parking lots. Over the m8 which is more stiff.

That said, at higher speeds, I think the m8 handles better. It's part of the reason I added $60k worth of adding carbon fiber and such to make the m850i handle more like the m8 competition at high speeds.
I think I got very close.

But the m8 is More stiff. And the m850i is more GT.

Also the m8 has more parts like Apkra exhaust that can be modded for more exhaust sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 11:40 AM   #4
MELLOWYELLOW06
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 & 2022 X& M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
I tossed this idea up for some time before pulling trigger on my order of M8 Convertible. Here was what made me choose.

M8 Styling (slight but to me how the 8 series should just look).

Handling of the M components simply hands down light years ahead. One thing I will always say is the M8 does not feel like you are driving a car of that size. The M850 on the other hand well it felt big and sluggish compared.

Spending that kinda cash decided to just take the leap, why not it was still in budget for me.

Bottom line is the S63 is just a beast of a motor.

They are both really great vehicles you cannot go wrong with either, but to me I've had many M40i, M50i's etc and none compared to the true M version of the line. Heck just look underneath at all the different suspension components, that is why the M8 feels so nimble compared to those others.
Couldnt have said it better. I drove both and both were impressive. But the M just stood out plus my son said he would never talk to me again if I didnt get the M. That alone would have been tragic.