M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Help! 2020 M8 Comp GC is a brick!

12-16-2021, 12:39 AM   #1
chador
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 GC Competition 2020

Help! 2020 M8 Comp GC is a brick!

Hello all,

I am seeking help to determine what, if any, my options are for some type of remuneration from what I consider to be a very unfair situation.

M8 2020 M8 GC (no mods), without any preceding events, gave me multiple warnings on the screen and dashboard about errors from every system from the radar, the suspension, tires pressure - literally everything. The brakes would pump like the antilock brakes were deployed, the acceleration would give out, and power steering was gone. An obvious massive computer systems errors. The warnings says take the car to service center immediately - which I did - about 4 weeks ago. The first week they didn't touch the car - fine I didn't have an appointment, but it has been an additional three weeks. I was told they needed a new computer from Germany and then the part would have to be installed and the car programmed. That was supposed to be done 4 days ago. I am now told the part they received was damaged, and they would need a new one that will take another 10 days. I was never given a loaner and the service center is basically speaking to me as if they are doing me a favor by even looking at my car! It's a bad service center, not the one I usually go to, but my car was on the fritz so I drove it to the closest AD.

At this point, I estimate I will be without my car for 6 weeks minimum. I was given no loaner. I wish to complain to BMW North American about this and demand a rebate on my lease, or an extension on my lease without cost, or some type of financial compensation for this. This is a new car, low miles, under warranty, no mods. This should not happen. This is the flagship car of the brand and it's a bloody brick! Anyone have any advice? Thanks

update: 55 day later, car is still in the shop, never left. There is no ETA on it being fixed. Literally they cant tell me when they can fix it. This car is a lemon and I retained an attorney to take over this issue - absolute travesty

Last edited by chador; 01-17-2022 at 11:47 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 01:37 AM   #2
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by chador View Post
Hello all,

I am seeking help to determine what, if any, my options are for some type of remuneration from what I consider to be a very unfair situation.

M8 2020 M8 GC (no mods), without any preceding events, gave me multiple warnings on the screen and dashboard about errors from every system from the radar, the suspension, tires pressure - literally everything. The brakes would pump like the antilock brakes were deployed, the acceleration would give out, and power steering was gone. An obvious massive computer systems errors. The warnings says take the car to service center immediately - which I did - about 4 weeks ago. The first week they didn't touch the car - fine I didn't have an appointment, but it has been an additional three weeks. I was told they needed a new computer from Germany and then the part would have to be installed and the car programmed. That was supposed to be done 4 days ago. I am now told the part they received was damaged, and they would need a new one that will take another 10 days. I was never given a loaner and the service center is basically speaking to me as if they are doing me a favor by even looking at my car! It's a bad service center, not the one I usually go to, but my car was on the fritz so I drove it to the closest AD.

At this point, I estimate I will be without my car for 6 weeks minimum. I was given no loaner. I wish to complain to BMW North American about this and demand a rebate on my lease, or an extension on my lease without cost, or some type of financial compensation for this. This is a new car, low miles, under warranty, no mods. This should not happen. This is the flagship car of the brand and it's a bloody brick! Anyone have any advice? Thanks
Yep; that's horrible but it's the current state of affairs. You're going to need to contact your insurance company and arrange for a rental from hertz or enterprise or something.

Unfortunately your probably SOL in today's world. If it makes you feel any better, I have a different brand SUV that's been in the shop for 5 going on now 6 straight months with $0 credits. However, USAA auto insurance did provide me with a "free" enterprise rental car.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 08:18 AM   #3
OTJeebus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 992 GT3 M8cGC

Sorry to hear that. It's awful the way you get treated by dealers these days. You literally buy the most expensive model on the lot and they can't you a decent loaner. Keep us updated on what they find is wrong with the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 11:47 PM   #4
chador
Private
Rep

55 day later, car is still in the shop, never left. There is no ETA on it being fixed. Literally they cant tell me when they can fix it. This car is a lemon and I retained an attorney to take over this issue - absolute travesty
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 10:01 AM   #5
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
55 day later, car is still in the shop, never left. There is no ETA on it being fixed. Literally they cant tell me when they can fix it. This car is a lemon and I retained an attorney to take over this issue - absolute travesty
Ehh it happens, I've had one with another brand myself. Its only a machine, but you are taking the right steps and I'm guessing out come will be in your favor.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 11:24 AM   #6
flanast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Have you checked your local lemon laws? In my jurisdiction (Virginia), for a new car, you can ask for a replacement car or reimbursement for what you paid if the car is in a shop for over 30 straight days.
Appreciate 3
Tenac4504.50
cloud8r32.00
      01-19-2022, 10:37 AM   #7
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanast View Post
Have you checked your local lemon laws? In my jurisdiction (Virginia), for a new car, you can ask for a replacement car or reimbursement for what you paid if the car is in a shop for over 30 straight days.
^^^this is key as in general it applies across all states but to flanast point there are some nuances with each jurisdiction.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 12:43 PM   #8
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Here in the UK………I had a computer failure in my 330i not long after I bought it……my local dealer supplied a courtesy car for the duration….they had the car for around two,weeks, part fitted the day it arrived. Despite not being the dealer I bought the car from!

All was good subsequently, no further problems at all.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2022, 03:17 PM   #9
chador
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes indeed, the lemon laws in California are favorable and this case appears to be cut and dry. The bloody car doesn't work and they cant fix it. Its in the hands of the lawyer now. My attempts to contact BMW myself were met with endless phone operator loops and I could never get a real person to help me.
Appreciate 2
c12h231.00
flanast148.50
      01-20-2022, 08:11 AM   #10
flanast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Yes indeed, the lemon laws in California are favorable and this case appears to be cut and dry. The bloody car doesn't work and they cant fix it. Its in the hands of the lawyer now. My attempts to contact BMW myself were met with endless phone operator loops and I could never get a real person to help me.
Unfortunately I don't think BMW will do anything without you retaining an attorney. Much like an insurance company, they won't pay without push back. Most people don't, so they get away without having to pay off on most legitimate claims. Good luck and keep us informed!!
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5853.50
      01-22-2022, 10:08 PM   #11
cloud8r
Member BMW CCA Los Angeles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 GC Comp

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
Absolutely unacceptable! You're doing the right thing. Lemon law it. As a side note, about 20+ years ago I money shifted a Toyota and damaged the engine. They replaced the engine for free under warranty little questions asked, gave me a rental, and when it was approaching the 30 day mark, they were about to start rebating my loan payments. A different time, a different erra, a different company, but goes to show what can be done.

Much enjoyed:
2018 ///M4 ZCP || 2014 ///M5 ZCP || 2011.5 ///M3 Sedan || 2007 ///M Coupe || 2008 550i Sport || 2006 ///M3 ZCP || 2008 X3 3.0si || 2006 325i || 2003 Z4 3.0 Roadster || 2003 330ci || 2002 325i
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 02:46 PM   #12
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unfortunately I don't think BMW will do anything without you retaining an attorney. Much like an insurance company, they won't pay without push back. Most people don't, so they get away without having to pay off on most legitimate claims. Good luck and keep us informed!!
Very true. The only way to get BMW to respond to a lemon law claim is via an attorney. This case is very straightforward. BMW will buy your vehicle back. The only open question: what to buy instead.
Appreciate 1