M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion My M8 convertible is toast. Hit at intersection @ 65mph

05-19-2020, 11:45 AM   #23
Troxzilla
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Here is OP's picture.
I would call it a total loss.
Frame is bent for sure and oil cooler most likely is damaged too.
How are you determining a bent frame based on this picture? Not calling you out just curious what you're seeing that would indicate that "for sure"?
      05-19-2020, 11:46 AM   #24
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsman View Post
Was hit at intersection by driver going approximately 65 mph in the drivers side fender/wheel area. Impact at about 35 degree angle. Three more feet rearward and I'd have been toast! Knocked car about six feet and then wedged on curb. Driver of other car had already hit one car before hitting me and was still at that rate of speed!! Ran light. Fortunately no one seriously injured. Suspect he was uninsured. Will find out tomorrow.

At this point it awaits evaluation for damage by adjuster. Car only 4 months old and less than 4000 miles. Aarrgh. Those that have more knowledge than I please offers opinions as to what to push for. Should I expect it will be totaled or repaired? With that force of impact I would imagine structural damage. Thx

Thank goodness not at the door!!!!

Would be a different conversation

More likely the frame bent if it was able to force car up a curb hitting on an angle

What kind of car hit you?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 11:46 AM   #25
Ahmedm1
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Was hit at intersection by driver going approximately 65 mph in the drivers side fender/wheel area. Impact at about 35 degree angle. Three more feet rearward and I'd have been toast! Knocked car about six feet and then wedged on curb. Driver of other car had already hit one car before hitting me and was still at that rate of speed!! Ran light. Fortunately no one seriously injured. Suspect he was uninsured. Will find out tomorrow.

At this point it awaits evaluation for damage by adjuster. Car only 4 months old and less than 4000 miles. Aarrgh. Those that have more knowledge than I please offers opinions as to what to push for. Should I expect it will be totaled or repaired? With that force of impact I would imagine structural damage. Thx

Can definitely be fixed! Especially with all the stuff going on now insurance adjusters just did everything through pictures so odds are they'll cough up the money especially on the high msrp. Good luck with everything glad you're okay! Cars can be replaced humans can't!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 11:49 AM   #26
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmedm1 View Post
Quote:

Can definitely be fixed! Especially with all the stuff going on now insurance adjusters just did everything through pictures so odds are they'll cough up the money especially on the high msrp. Good luck with everything glad you're okay! Cars can be replaced humans can't!
100% percent of cars hit can be repaired.

This car should reach total loss by value or frame damage.

That entire frontend is toast
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 11:49 AM   #27
Bpark1977
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Don't get your heart set on anything. Ymmv but I think she'll just get fixed. If you need parts from Germany, it'll take a while. They had my M3 for two months as some wiring harnesses came from Germany. At least I got to drive all their loaner 20's, which handled like dog shit
Appreciate 2
Ibiza3478.50
The_Werm212.00
      05-19-2020, 11:50 AM   #28
The_otherM235i
Driver - Autocross
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Man, no offence but that's a complete total. So thankful you're okay though, you're not replaceable the car is. All the best bro
16 M235xi 8ZF Black on Red FBO: Xhp trans tune -BMS Intake - VRSF Catless DownPipe - VRSF CP - VRSF Muffler delete/resonator - n22 plugs - MHD stage 2+ 95map - Wagner EVO II Preformace IC - Rear seat delete - weight reduction/stripping -FTP 18.5in rims - Hawk HPS front pads - StopTech STR 660 fluid
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 11:51 AM   #29
Ahmedm1
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Just depends on the adjuster to be honest, I've seen a lot worse get fixed. 35k plus damages get repaired with the whole front end smashed so bad you couldn't tell what car it is
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 11:58 AM   #30
Troxzilla
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Coupe

Quote:

Quote:

[img]https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...8;d=1589729902[/img]

Glad everyone is unharmed. I was recently involved in a almost identical accident, albeit was my F150 and the car that hit me was traveling at approx 45mph through the intersection. No frame damage but lots of suspension, a wheel, steering gear, etc. very little cosmetic to body - driver side fender and small work to driver's door. After all that, $10k in repairs. I asked the adjuster at the collision center if it was close to being totaled (truck is worth about $25k) and he laughed, said "goodness no, in today's world insurance companies are not totaling vehicles unless they're at around 70% in damage to value". I was pretty surprised. Not an expert but based on your picture, if there's no frame damage I would say it's fixable. Which sucks, just a big blemish on your carfax.
      05-19-2020, 12:02 PM   #31
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxzilla View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Here is OP's picture.
I would call it a total loss.
Frame is bent for sure and oil cooler most likely is damaged too.
How are you determining a bent frame based on this picture? Not calling you out just curious what you're seeing that would indicate that "for sure"?
Top shock tower is bent inward.
I guess it also depends on each state law.
In Cali, stuff like that is considered total.
1/4 frame need to be replaced.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 12:05 PM   #32
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just depends on the adjuster to be honest, I've seen a lot worse get fixed. 35k plus damages get repaired with the whole front end smashed so bad you couldn't tell what car it is
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I was a claims adjuster fresh out of college for 5 years; not anymore. Long time ago

Most carriers have a threshold. It's typically 40% of market value once you get there it's totaled

No carrier is fronting $50k for repairs and car now worth est. $80k with insurance premium at say $3000

Also frame damage= total

Flood

Lemon buy back

Lots of variables

work with repair shop to make sure it's totaled wink wink

They can salvage sell the car

People buy salvage cars all the time

Ever see a car crabbing down the highway

That guy who got a mint M3 for $30k with only 10,000 miles
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 12:12 PM   #33
Belugs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i, 2012 528i

Garage List
Wow! So sorry! Total loss in my opinion. Hopefully u have great insurance.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 12:13 PM   #34
640ijims
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M , 14%E2%80%99640i ver

Garage List
2018 X5///M  [7.50]
2018 BMW  [0.00]
So so sorry for your loss. So so happy you are uninjured. Insurance company will be a PIA, so be prepared. One question, did airbags go off?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 12:19 PM   #35
Ahmedm1
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I was a claims adjuster fresh out of college for 5 years; not anymore. Long time ago

Most carriers have a threshold. It's typically 40% of market value once you get there it's totaled

No carrier is fronting $50k for repairs and car now worth est. $80k with insurance premium at say $3000

Also frame damage= total

Flood

Lemon buy back

Lots of variables

work with repair shop to make sure it's totaled wink wink

They can salvage sell the car

People buy salvage cars all the time

Ever see a car crabbing down the highway

That guy who got a mint M3 for $30k with only 10,000 miles
Very true. If you want it to be totaled out just talk to a trusted shop like he said haha
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 12:21 PM   #36
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Frightening pictures. So glad you are OK. Cars can be easily replaced. Whatever the insurance company decides, there are bigger things to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 12:21 PM   #37
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Glad you are ok and sorry about your loss.
People comment “ this is repairable..”, I wouldn’t want a car that was involved in an accident. I paid money to have a new car that I can enjoy. Does anyone want a car that had substantial damage and repaired?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 12:25 PM   #38
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
I will leave the totalling up to the experts, but I was surprised to see at least from that pic it doesnt look so bad for getting hit so hard.

As others have said, since the car is so new its $60k or more to total something like that out, I guess it will depend on how bad that front is bent up.
      05-19-2020, 12:29 PM   #39
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

State Farm decided to repair an Acura I had years ago which had far worse damage than this. A ~40 MPH T-bone to the driver's door from an SUV running a stop sign pushed me into a fire hydrant, caused 4 of the 6 airbags to pop, and broke every piece of glass. I was pushed so hard that my right hip took out the center console. EMTs cut the driver's door off to extract me. The repair was about $18k on a new car worth $30k, and they would not total it. Everything I thought I knew about what substantiates a total loss was wrong. Fortunately it was leased, and I have only leased since.
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2020, 12:33 PM   #40
PARTS@STBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW

Woah, glad you are okay though.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 12:35 PM   #41
BMthusiast
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F80 M-DCT

Thankfully you're fine!! The car may be totaled though. Depending on what your appraiser determines of course. If I were you I'd prefer it be deemed totaled and get a new allocation or else getting all those OEM parts ordered and installed could take a hot minute.
      05-19-2020, 12:36 PM   #42
Unknown_Car
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Few and diffrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
Repairable, no problem. It will take a couple months to get parts. That's not that bad of hit for a certified BMW shop. The front of that car is modular. I can have it stripped down to the motor in a couple hours. Parts will be expensive but not near enough to total it. Your going to need a 60K-70k estimate to total it.
Your right the car is fixeble, and it's not a bad damage, I used to buy cars from auctions fix and sell, now not so much... But if it was me I would not take it. I payed to much money to drive a car that was damaged.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 12:39 PM   #43
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchJR View Post
State Farm decided to repair an Acura I had years ago which had far worse damage than this. A ~40 MPH T-bone to the driver's door from an SUV running a stop sign pushed me into a fire hydrant, caused 4 of the 6 airbags to pop, and broke every piece of glass. I was pushed so hard that my right hip took out the center console. EMTs cut the driver's door off to extract me. The repair was about $18k on a new car worth $30k, and they would not total it. Everything I thought I knew about what substantiates a total loss was wrong. Fortunately it was leased, and I have only leased since.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchJR View Post
Bastards!

most" carriers are somewhat ethical.

Did they adjust your premium?

When you obtained the policy it was inline with new car value.

That car would be worth $14k at best after repair.

They now insuring a $14k car

Wonder if it was stolen what value they would of assessed
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 12:43 PM   #44
Alan92
Private
Rep
Drives: M8C Comp

Sorry about the accident but this definitely does looking fixable. I understand everyone here saying they wouldn’t want a vehicle after an accident (I wouldn’t either!) but that’s not how the real world works. Working for one of the major insurance companies, we wouldn’t total a vehicle unless repairs exceeded 70% of the value of the car, you can’t just demand a whole new car because you were in an accident.
Appreciate 0