M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Help me rationalize buying an M850i Convertible please

05-08-2020, 09:04 AM   #45
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
At this point, I am thoroughly confused about what the various driver assistant packages had, have and still have. But if you'd be getting the entire suite, it probably would include 360-degree cameras, which conjure an overhead view that you'd soon become addicted to while parking.
Thanks for the feedback.

My 540i has the proximity warning things, which I hate but I actually miss them when they're not there.

The wife has an annoying tendency to run over curbs, trees and small people, so the 360-cameras would help her immensely.

I'm kidding about the small people.

But she did hit a parked car once. I kid you not. And don't get me started on the curbs. OMG the curb rash on her car!
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2020, 09:58 AM   #46
Da808dad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
The best latest price I got from one of my dealers on the leftover new 2019 M850i convertible, zero options, was $1000 down with a lease payment of $1066. 3 years, 7500 miles. I seem to recall a better offer from him last month, at $1022 nothing down, but they aren't honoring it, and I can't find the email. I strongly suspect that if I show up there pen in hand ready to sign, they'll drop that $1000. They're about 90 minutes from home.

Last night I got another offer from another dealer, this car has the driving assistant professional yada, yada, yada package and neck warmers (which I suspect would be nice, as I do enjoy driving with the top down regardless of the temperatures) for nothing down, same terms, $966 a month lease. First month's payment due at delivery, natch.

The problem with that last one, despite the awesome price, is that I was misled to believe that it was a new car. Apparently it was a service loaner. I think we all know how they are treated. I haven't heard back yet how many miles it has on it. My local dealer typically puts a few thousand miles on service loaners before putting them up for sale. Also, I don't get my BMW CCA rebate on a loaner, and I don't qualify for the incentive that BMW is offering to waive the first two payments. So the net result is that the difference over three years between the two cars is only a few hundred dollars, in favor of the loaner.

Curious am I to hear current owners' thoughts on these two deals. The additional options on the loaner are nice, but not necessary, i.e. I'm not willing to pay for them. Both cars are white, the expensive one has a black interior, the loaner has the brown "cognac" seats. I don't care for either, but leaning toward the lighter color.

I'm not in a hurry, and I'm waiting for the sale of my M2 to complete before doing it. Hopefully if not today then early next week. My first buyer had to backout, so I'm gun shy.
I got my 2019 M850i the day they shut down the dealership here in Hawaii back at the end of March. $1099/month with $2000 down for 3 years at 12k miles/year. They also gave me $6k more on my trade in of my M3 from what they initially offered.
Appreciate 1
LuvMyE922993.50
      05-08-2020, 01:52 PM   #47
LuvMyE92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
Next Level Auto Brokers is his username
Thank you for that. Dan offered me a great deal.

I heard back from my local guy - the car was a sales demo, not service loaner, only 1000 miles, so that helps. And it's eligible for the current promo for BMW to cover the first two payments, which is helpful. And so as soon as the funds for my M2 arrive, I'll do it. Will post pics.

Thanks again to all that commented, and for the positive waves of encouragement from those that did not comment, but thought well of me.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 3
LSM1118.00
      05-08-2020, 03:37 PM   #48
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
Next Level Auto Brokers is his username
Thank you for that. Dan offered me a great deal.

I heard back from my local guy - the car was a sales demo, not service loaner, only 1000 miles, so that helps. And it's eligible for the current promo for BMW to cover the first two payments, which is helpful. And so as soon as the funds for my M2 arrive, I'll do it. Will post pics.

Thanks again to all that commented, and for the positive waves of encouragement from those that did not comment, but thought well of me.
Did you use a broker? How much do the brokers charge?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 06:44 AM   #49
LuvMyE92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Speaking for me, I didn't ask him how much he charges and he didn't offer. I wonder how that works on a lease, if they have an additional charge buried in there, or the dealer just kicks it back to him.

For those following along at home, I discussed this with the wife Friday night, and we decided that as great as the M850i is, it does not meet one of my occasional criteria, which is a car that I can take to the track. All clubs that I'm aware of will not let you drive a convertible on track unless it has a rollbar. And even then, some won't accept that. And even though it's archaic and slower, I really do enjoy the interaction of shifting, and all of our other cars are automatic, so it would be nice if my toy/fun/weekend car had that extra pedal.

So, I'm going to pass on this for now. I think the new plan is to wait another 2-3 years, and all of these cars that were dumped on the market for the launch will be coming off lease, and I can likely buy it for nearly half price. That will be a lot more affordable for the spare car.

Thanks everyone for the advice, comments and ideas.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25051.00
      06-02-2020, 03:57 AM   #50
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Speaking for me, I didn't ask him how much he charges and he didn't offer. I wonder how that works on a lease, if they have an additional charge buried in there, or the dealer just kicks it back to him.

For those following along at home, I discussed this with the wife Friday night, and we decided that as great as the M850i is, it does not meet one of my occasional criteria, which is a car that I can take to the track. All clubs that I'm aware of will not let you drive a convertible on track unless it has a rollbar. And even then, some won't accept that. And even though it's archaic and slower, I really do enjoy the interaction of shifting, and all of our other cars are automatic, so it would be nice if my toy/fun/weekend car had that extra pedal.

So, I'm going to pass on this for now. I think the new plan is to wait another 2-3 years, and all of these cars that were dumped on the market for the launch will be coming off lease, and I can likely buy it for nearly half price. That will be a lot more affordable for the spare car.

Thanks everyone for the advice, comments and ideas.
the m850i has a roll bar in the convertible and our local track will accept it. it's an auto pop up roll bar, and it's acceptable to the SCCA, PCA, SVRA, and HSR.

They have all certified my STOCK 2019 m850i as fully acceptable, in stock conditions.

that said, during the Covid prices dropped a lot; and I'm sure they will drop more. waiting a couple years is a great idea.

Also, if you want a track car, go for the m8 or m8c. the m850i is a fun daily, but the m8s are more geared for tracks.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 07:25 AM   #51
LuvMyE92
Rep

Quote:
the m850i has a roll bar in the convertible and our local track will accept it. it's an auto pop up roll bar, and it's acceptable to the SCCA, PCA, SVRA, and HSR.
Thanks again to everyone that replied.

I never thought about that pop-up bar, I guess that does qualify for some clubs. Not sure about the BMW CCA. They tend to disqualify convertibles, period. Me personally, I've seen a few cars go turtle on the track and I'm not sure that I'd be comfortable doing it.

As a final update, the dealer came back to me at the end of May with another few thousand off the price, which brought the lease payment (nothing down) to $933 IIRC. Pretty darn awesome. But I had already decided on another car.

We went another way. I was really surprised that the wife liked it, and the response from most of my friends has also been very positive, again surprising me.

It's a Ford. Mustang GT. Six speed manual (one of my criteria) and no options, the way I like them. That does best in resale %. I trade cars frequently. This thing cost about 1/4 of what the M850i does. It's not the car the BMW is, obviously, but bang-for-buck it's hard to beat. Except of course, for the image of the typical Mustang driver. You know, the guy who does a burnout after cars & coffee and spins out into the crowd.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25051.00
      06-02-2020, 10:48 AM   #52
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I never thought about that pop-up bar, I guess that does qualify for some clubs. Not sure about the BMW CCA. They tend to disqualify convertibles, period. Me personally, I've seen a few cars go turtle on the track and I'm not sure that I'd be comfortable doing it.

As a final update, the dealer came back to me at the end of May with another few thousand off the price, which brought the lease payment (nothing down) to $933 IIRC. Pretty darn awesome. But I had already decided on another car.

We went another way. I was really surprised that the wife liked it, and the response from most of my friends has also been very positive, again surprising me.

It's a Ford. Mustang GT. Six speed manual (one of my criteria) and no options, the way I like them. That does best in resale %. I trade cars frequently. This thing cost about 1/4 of what the M850i does. It's not the car the BMW is, obviously, but bang-for-buck it's hard to beat. Except of course, for the image of the typical Mustang driver. You know, the guy who does a burnout after cars & coffee and spins out into the crowd.
great car and great price! Enjoy it Fix Or Repair Daily, or Found Onside Road Dead. haha, just kidding.

Definitely a better call for tracks at the lower price and hardtop. My neighbor has a red Mistang that literally blew the doors off my m850i. I don't know what he's got but it must be close to 700 hp in his Ford.

of course, his isn't a convertible, nor does it have AWD or anything else. but for pure speed, from 30 mph to 155 mph - he blew past me like I was standing still.
I'd love to find out if he can beat launch mode 0 to 60 though.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 05:24 PM   #53
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
great car and great price! Enjoy it Fix Or Repair Daily, or Found Onside Road Dead. haha, just kidding.

Definitely a better call for tracks at the lower price and hardtop. My neighbor has a red Mistang that literally blew the doors off my m850i. I don't know what he's got but it must be close to 700 hp in his Ford.

of course, his isn't a convertible, nor does it have AWD or anything else. but for pure speed, from 30 mph to 155 mph - he blew past me like I was standing still.
I'd love to find out if he can beat launch mode 0 to 60 though.
The M850 is the German version of a GT, and the M8 of the Shelby, just better

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2020, 06:36 PM   #54
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Quote:

Congrats. The latest version of the Mustang is the best one yet, and their 5.0L Coyote engine is a peach. Enjoy the Stang