M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M850ix Software Update - A Tragedy in Multiple Acts

06-04-2020, 06:58 AM   #89
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcara View Post
So my local dealer refused to do the work because it would require 'me and the phone' in the dealership which I argued with, and they wouldn't do it. I've had 11 emails to and from BMW Assist talking to a 'genius', explained patiently what I wanted doing. Finally got this reply:

"I can't see any updates being available for your model Dave. The only way to download a update would be the update software portal.
The procedure will be exactly the same at the BMW centre. At the moment the portal emphasizes your model will be updated automatically when a update is available."

Me:
"The update that's required needs over an hour to download and the process has to be done with the car connected to an external battery. So not possible with a USB stick by a standard home user. It needs doing through the Ethernet port too.
Please correct me if I'm wrong!"

Them:
"Good afternoon Dave,
Thanks for getting in touch, I trust your doing well.
The file can be quite large to download onto a USB and the USB will require a minimum space of 4GB. It will also need to be formatted to a FAT 32 format.
I can't see why you would need to download the file through a Ethernet cable.
We normally advise customers to perform the software update themselves to avoid being charged by a BMW centre to perform the update. You simply download it onto a USB and upload it in the car using the USB in your arm rest or centre console.
Once a update is available it will be the same process with your model Dave.
If there is anything else I can look into for you please get in touch. "

Me:
"Good afternoon,

Is there someone that knows what I'm talking about that you can escalate this to?

I appreciate that you don't understand, so it needs to be passed along to someone that does.

Best regards,"

Them (new person):
"
Thanks for your query. You're referring to the iDrive version of your vehicle, you have the 2018 version and you want the 2020 version.

This can only be done at a BMW Centre, although the vast majority are currently closed but will be in the process of re-opening.

I know you've been in contact with two so far, but do you have a preference for any others. I can arrange contact for yourself through online communications."

I sent a number of options but no reply. Called the dealership where I bought the car and told them I wasn't happy and would be looking to return the car as it's missing key features. They've booked it in on Tuesday. To their credit, once I spoke to my sales guy (despite him ignoring emails) it happened really quickly.

What makes me mad is that the guys via email refer to themselves as a "Genius". They're so completely useless.
Welcome to BMW. You aren't alone. Many of us have had similar problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 07:01 PM   #90
GKW
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i, 22 Alpina B8

FIXED!

Confirmed that the fix is complete. I have all the apps back and some new ones. Spotify was not on my car prior to this.

Trade off is there are lots of settings that got lost. Once I logged back into the car, some came back. But all the button programming was gone. I had to re-pair my phone.

Overall, very simple. Dealer (BMW Cape Cod) was excellent. Got me right in, offered a loaner and was done in one day. There is no way to do this update OTA.

I am trying to find out what release the new software is, but I haven't found where that is listed.

Glad it's over!

GW
Appreciate 2
delcara19.50
      06-04-2020, 07:23 PM   #91
Azlar
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M8C

To find the version I think you

Go to settings
General settings
Scroll down to remote software upgrade

In there it shows current version.
Appreciate 2
      06-05-2020, 04:12 AM   #92
delcara
Rep
Drives: 535d>M3>640i>M5>M4 > m850i

That's good to know - out of interest, did you get any other 'new' features (like being able to control the cameras / save video)?

I'm not so much bothered about losing settings, only takes 2 minutes to put everything back together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKW View Post
Confirmed that the fix is complete. I have all the apps back and some new ones. Spotify was not on my car prior to this.

Trade off is there are lots of settings that got lost. Once I logged back into the car, some came back. But all the button programming was gone. I had to re-pair my phone.

Overall, very simple. Dealer (BMW Cape Cod) was excellent. Got me right in, offered a loaner and was done in one day. There is no way to do this update OTA.

I am trying to find out what release the new software is, but I haven't found where that is listed.

Glad it's over!

GW
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 07:05 AM   #93
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:

Glad it's over!

GW
Good news and thanks for it.

Did you have anything that had been coded before the update was installed?

If so, were the coded items still there (I would doubt that they were)?

Also, have you tried communicating with the car through the ConnectedDrive phone app?
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 12:00 PM   #94
GKW
Private
Rep

Version is 3/2020.58

Does respond to BMW Connected. Had to turn on Remote 3D again.

I had no other mods prior to this. That is the next step.

But back to loving the car.

AND! - I turned off Remote Software updates!!! Until I have a problem, that is where it will stay!

GW
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 01:56 PM   #95
Azlar
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M8C

Interesting you have version 3/2020.

They must have made a number of changes to this from .30 to .58 as that was the version redhot had with so many issues.

I was going to plumb for version 11/2019 but if this new version of 3/2020 is as stable as you say then I may ask for that instead.

Thanks for the heads up.
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2020, 11:43 PM   #96
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Quote:
So my local dealer refused to do the work because it would require 'me and the phone' in the dealership which I argued with, and they wouldn't do it. I've had 11 emails to and from BMW Assist talking to a 'genius', explained patiently what I wanted doing. Finally got this reply:

"I can't see any updates being available for your model Dave. The only way to download a update would be the update software portal.
The procedure will be exactly the same at the BMW centre. At the moment the portal emphasizes your model will be updated automatically when a update is available."

Me:
"The update that's required needs over an hour to download and the process has to be done with the car connected to an external battery. So not possible with a USB stick by a standard home user. It needs doing through the Ethernet port too.

Them:
"Good afternoon Dave,
The file can be quite large to download onto a USB and the USB will require a minimum space of 4GB. It will also need to be formatted to a FAT 32 format.
We normally advise customers to perform the software update themselves to avoid being charged by a BMW centre to perform the update. You simply download it onto a USB and upload it in the car using the USB in your arm rest or centre console.

Me:
"Good afternoon,

Is there someone that knows what I'm talking about that you can escalate this to?

I appreciate that you don't understand, so it needs to be passed along to someone that does.

Best regards,"

Them (new person):
"
Thanks for your query. You're referring to the iDrive version of your vehicle, you have the 2018 version and you want the 2020 version.

This can only be done at a BMW Centre, although the vast majority are currently closed but will be in the process of re-opening.

I know you've been in contact with two so far, but do you have a preference for any others. I can arrange contact for yourself through online communications."

I sent a number of options but no reply. Called the dealership where I bought the car and told them I wasn't happy and would be looking to return the car as it's missing key features. They've booked it in on Tuesday. To their credit, once I spoke to my sales guy (despite him ignoring emails) it happened really quickly.

What makes me mad is that the guys via email refer to themselves as a "Genius". They're so completely useless.
Once again all down to the dealer in regards to total customer satisfaction. They don't need your phone to do an iDrive update whatsoever. That's just a lazy excuse to skirt their responsibility to make the customer happy. Sounds like 03/2020.58 is the new solid iDrive build. I'm still on 11/2019.55 as it is absolutely rock solid.

What will be interesting is the upcoming Android Auto release. Hopefully, it is OTA as I do not want to change my iDrive release unless I absolutely have to. BMW has proved one thing to me, i.e., they are clueless in the software world. So it will take an act of God to get me to agree to change from my 11/2019.55 release and open up the proverbial shit show of BMW's absolutely incompetence.
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2020, 01:47 PM   #97
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Me:

Them:
"Good afternoon Dave,

Me:
"Good afternoon,

Best regards,"

Them (new person):
"

Once again all down to the dealer in regards to total customer satisfaction. They don't need your phone to do an iDrive update whatsoever. That's just a lazy excuse to skirt their responsibility to make the customer happy. Sounds like 03/2020.58 is the new solid iDrive build. I'm still on 11/2019.55 as it is absolutely rock solid.

What will be interesting is the upcoming Android Auto release. Hopefully, it is OTA as I do not want to change my iDrive release unless I absolutely have to. BMW has proved one thing to me, i.e., they are clueless in the software world. So it will take an act of God to get me to agree to change from my 11/2019.55 release and open up the proverbial shit show of BMW's absolutely incompetence.
If you're due the backup camera recall, the dealership will be forced to wipe your system when you come in for a oil change.
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2020, 11:43 PM   #98
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you're due the backup camera recall, the dealership will be forced to wipe your system when you come in for a oil change.
Thankfully that is a 2019 vs 2020 recall so my 11/2019.55 rides on until BMW can convince me otherwise. Bottom line is I'm not open to an iDrive shit show of an experience due to their absolutely incompetence in the software world. If they tell me I need a full iDrive update for Android Auto I'll pass as I've lived without it for many years as my prior Lexus did not support it as well. My priority is a flawlessly functional ConnectedDrive and seamless interoperability with the SSD in the console for my music source which I have with the 11/2019.55 release.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 11:58 PM   #99
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

My version was done in Jan at the dealership and it has been solid as well.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 06:24 AM   #100
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Thankfully that is a 2019 vs 2020 recall so my 11/2019.55 rides on until BMW can convince me otherwise. Bottom line is I'm not open to an iDrive shit show of an experience due to their absolutely incompetence in the software world. If they tell me I need a full iDrive update for Android Auto I'll pass as I've lived without it for many years as my prior Lexus did not support it as well. My priority is a flawlessly functional ConnectedDrive and seamless interoperability with the SSD in the console for my music source which I have with the 11/2019.55 release.
As the OP, I agree. As aggravating as it is to still be without the apps and other functionality I had when I brought the car in for “service” this past March, my priorities also include a mostly functional ConnectedDrive app (I still can’t receive destinations in the car, which I could before March), an operating wi-fi connection, and also not having to ask r33_RGSport to recode me yet again.

So, rather than taking the risk, I’ll just sit on this flawed software until I summon the courage to bring the car in for its next “service” in 2021.

(I note that, according to RGW, BMW still hasn’t figured out a way to save our settings and restore them after a software “upgrade.”)
- Retired: Three Lexuses.

Last edited by redhot47fla; 06-09-2020 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2020, 11:31 AM   #101
GKW
Private
Rep

i should have also mentioned for those that don't know.... You will lose all your stored music.

GW
Appreciate 2
      06-09-2020, 11:59 AM   #102
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i should have also mentioned for those that don't know.... You will lose all your stored music.

GW
Yep, it's awesome.
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2020, 08:18 PM   #103
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
As the OP, I agree. As aggravating as it is to still be without the apps and other functionality I had when I brought the car in for “service” this past March, my priorities also include a mostly functional ConnectedDrive app (I still can’t receive destinations in the car, which I could before March), an operating wi-fi connection, and also not having to ask r33_RGSport to recode me yet again.

So, rather than taking the risk, I’ll just sit on this flawed software until I summon the courage to bring the car in for its next “service” in 2021.

(I note that, according to RGW, BMW still hasn’t figured out a way to save our settings and restore them after a software “upgrade.”)
The irony is one of the things that sold me on BMW was the iDrive 6 in my wife's X5 which has performed flawlessly from day 1. Including every time she tells me that she needs navigation to a destination. I pull up the ConnectedDrive app, plug in the name, etc. and send it to her X5. She see's the "message" available within iDrive, selects it, selects the address and she is on her way. With the 11/2019.55 iDrive 7 build in the M850i the same process flawlessly works 100% of the time but of course I'm doing it for my needs.

Quote:

GW
Quote:
Yep, it's awesome.
There are a couple of threads on purchasing a compatible SSD drive to run off the USB-C port within the console. Do yourself a favor and get one as beyond blowing past the built-in 40GB of storage of the iDrive 7 platform it will protect you from the inherent BMW F'ups during iDrive 7 updates.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 10:39 AM   #104
delcara
Rep

Got to the dealer to pick the car up after the software update. Now there's no ConnectedMusic menu at all. Software updated to 03/2020.40 - only apps on there are BMW Assistance and Personal Assistant (which is new I think).

Driving cluster is prettier and there are some new menu options in iDrive, looks to be more configurable for a lot of stuff.

Got home, did an iDrive reset (held down the power button until it did a full reboot). Didn't do anything. Did a factory reset on the car (thus losing all my settings). This then looked to start updating the apps / services as it prompted for the data use agreements to be agreed to. Deleted the car from my connecteddrive account. Re-added it. More services started to slowly appear.

Can't log into the driver profiles bit (guessing it's either still updating or it's upset that I deleted my car from my account and added it too quickly).

Will give it until morning and see if I can log in or see the ConnectedMusic bit.

BTW: brought this up in the dealer before I left, no one there the first clue what I was talking about. "What apps?" "To play Spotify you use bluetooth" etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 03:17 PM   #105
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Dealers appear to be woefully uneducated on lots of these matters, I dont blame them as much as BMWUSA for failing to educate them in the first place...

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 04:08 PM   #106
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

picked up my car today, and everything is beautiful. still have the 11/2019 software installed and no problems with the basic oil change.

I went to a different dealership closer to my home.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2020, 04:25 PM   #107
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
picked up my car today, and everything is beautiful. still have the 11/2019 software installed and no problems with the basic oil change.

Glad to hear it all went well and with no collateral damage (always a fear when going for service).

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 05:29 PM   #108
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Quote:

Glad to hear it all went well and with no collateral damage (always a fear when going for service).
Yep. Definitely like playing Russian Roulette with these BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 08:34 AM   #109
delcara
Rep

Leaving it overnight has sorted it. Signs in ok now, Spotify working, happy it's sorted but pissed at how much effort it took and the total lack of understanding by BMW staff that the car actually has updatable software in it.

Spotify music quality is worse than Deezer though. So might go back to that, rendering the whole saga completely pointless.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 08:01 PM   #110
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

11/2019.55 works like a champ and BMW will have to pry it away from my cold dead body during a service call.
Appreciate 0