M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion BMW M850i Launch Control

02-15-2020, 04:36 AM   #1
x6Hawkeye
911 TTS Cab
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio

BMW M850i Launch Control

Perhaps a silly question, but how do you activate launch control in the M850i?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 06:35 PM   #2
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Just passed the 1200 mile break-in in which the manual states to absolutely not use launch control as it will exceed the 4500 RPM during the period. Just dug up the instructions from the online user manual. Pretty straight forward with disengaging DSC and putting the transmission in S (slide it to the left but do not push forward or back as that will also engage manual shifting).
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Ozzie8641.00
      02-15-2020, 08:28 PM   #3
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Just passed the 1200 mile break-in in which the manual states to absolutely not use launch control as it will exceed the 4500 RPM during the period. Just dug up the instructions from the online user manual. Pretty straight forward with disengaging DSC and putting the transmission in S (slide it to the left but do not push forward or back as that will also engage manual shifting).
I was out in Phoenix AZ showing my M850i to my father in law (his 2009 x5). I blew his doors off.

Yes, that's exactly how launch control works. And it works! There are also some YouTube videos including a car wow m5 vs m8 that just came out.

P.S. I think there is a way to adjust rpm at launch, but I don't know how and honestly unless your at a drag strip you don't need to mess with it. Just launch and go.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 10:36 PM   #4
x6Hawkeye
911 TTS Cab
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio

Quote:
Awesome, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 09:16 AM   #5
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x6Hawkeye View Post
Quote:
Awesome, thank you!
I checked it today, it's the cruise control level. adjust it to send the RPM up prior to launch.

but again even the default is plenty of power.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 09:11 PM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
I was out in Phoenix AZ showing my M850i to my father in law (his 2009 x5). I blew his doors off.

Yes, that's exactly how launch control works. And it works! There are also some YouTube videos including a car wow m5 vs m8 that just came out.

P.S. I think there is a way to adjust rpm at launch, but I don't know how and honestly unless your at a drag strip you don't need to mess with it. Just launch and go.
Glad to hear someone has tried it. I've been waiting for the break-in period to expire. I have the perfect rural road in mind to give it a go on one of these upcoming weekends. It's several miles of just straight driving with low traffic so should be able to stop and launch a few times.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2020, 10:25 AM   #7
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Glad to hear someone has tried it. I've been waiting for the break-in period to expire. I have the perfect rural road in mind to give it a go on one of these upcoming weekends. It's several miles of just straight driving with low traffic so should be able to stop and launch a few times.
yep, also I think you have to wait 5 miles between launches. I don't think you can do them back to back. I've only done it once a day, but I'd think 2 or 3 times a day could be possible, I know the manual says it needs a cool down and warm up period.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 05:04 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
yep, also I think you have to wait 5 miles between launches. I don't think you can do them back to back. I've only done it once a day, but I'd think 2 or 3 times a day could be possible, I know the manual says it needs a cool down and warm up period.
Yes, the manual indicates 5 minutes (at least) of cool down time before it will engage again. Figure I'll do one on the drive out and one on the way back which will give plenty of time for the cool down. The interesting thing in the manual is that it states launch control adjusts to the surrounding conditions when used again. Not sure what that means other than the engine, transmission, etc. needs to be properly cooled down before it will engage again.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2020, 09:10 PM   #9
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Guess

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, the manual indicates 5 minutes (at least) of cool down time before it will engage again. Figure I'll do one on the drive out and one on the way back which will give plenty of time for the cool down. The interesting thing in the manual is that it states launch control adjusts to the surrounding conditions when used again. Not sure what that means other than the engine, transmission, etc. needs to be properly cooled down before it will engage again.
I have no clue, but my only guess would be adjusted based on temperature and wheel slip. I will say the wheels spin a good bit with higher rpm launches, so even though you're turning traction off, I'm guessing it tries to give you a better grip on multiple launches based on tires.

But I'd be interested and curious to know what happens!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 06:36 PM   #10
Azlar
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M8C

Quote:
Just fallen upon this post from a while ago. What would the repercussions be if say you only have 250 miles on the clock and you had already gone over the 4500 rpm ?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 11:01 PM   #11
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlar View Post
Just fallen upon this post from a while ago. What would the repercussions be if say you only have 250 miles on the clock and you had already gone over the 4500 rpm ?
Honestly, likely zero. There are many threads on the "lawyer speak" in BMW manuals for engine break-in vs the common thought being to DILYSI from day 1. Modern engines do not technically need a break-in period whatsoever. I was just overly cautious as I expect to keep the M850i for at least 6 years (if not longer).

That said as far as I know, there is no telemetry in the car that can tell a dealer you exceeded 4500 RPM in the first 1200 miles as an excuse from a warranty situation. As ultimately that is the concern, i.e., you didn't follow the guidelines and now you have an issue. Considering BMW can't even get their ConnectedDrive app to work 100% of the time I'm pretty sure they are clueless unless you mod the engine in a manner they can detect.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 03:53 AM   #12
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
my buddy is a senior top tech for BMW. he says for anything like the m850i, while you "should " break in gently.....there is no problem.

However, he says for the true full m8 and m8c, he says it's highly recommended to observe the break in period for safety.

But even he notes that there is usually no problems taking an m8c straight to the track.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 04:13 AM   #13
Azlar
Private
England
Rep

Hi Both,

Thanks for coming back to me as I was a little worries when I saw this. The dealer didn't mention a run in and I haven't had a car of this power before, I had an M5C but that had 4k miles on it. My previous car before that was an Audi S5 so this is far tamer.

I have 'driven' my M850i as I thought it was made for, especially on a straight dual carriage way we have near where I live as it was mostly empty for a week or two recently .
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 05:23 AM   #14
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi Both,

Thanks for coming back to me as I was a little worries when I saw this. The dealer didn't mention a run in and I haven't had a car of this power before, I had an M5C but that had 4k miles on it. My previous car before that was an Audi S5 so this is far tamer.

I have 'driven' my M850i as I thought it was made for, especially on a straight dual carriage way we have near where I live as it was mostly empty for a week or two recently .
Quote:
Hi Both,

Sure, no problem. Put the M850i into true launch mode, find a red light, and Launch. Trust me, it's better than any Audi, and possibly your m5 - depending how old it was.

Launch mode is the best thing about the M850i on this side of anything short of a true 911 turbo.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 06:22 AM   #15
Azlar
Private
England
Rep

I think I will wait until I get to 1200 miles before I try the launch mode, just in case .

the M5C was a 2019 plate F90. I hadn't really heard of the launch control until I joined this forum. I wish I had know it was there on the M5 as I would certainly have given it a go .
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 11:12 AM   #16
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think I will wait until I get to 1200 miles before I try the launch mode, just in case .

the M5C was a 2019 plate F90. I hadn't really heard of the launch control until I joined this forum. I wish I had know it was there on the M5 as I would certainly have given it a go .
Quote:

Believe it or not, my sales associate or "client advisor", at the first BMW dealership I went to showed it to me on my first test drive of a M850i coupe.
I needed the convertible, but it was fun in the coupe and it's even more fun with the top down!!!!
Appreciate 0