M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion 2019-2020 BMW 840i and M850i xDrive Ordering and Pricing Guides

07-10-2018, 09:01 AM   #23
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
I wouldn't even consider any of the other options at this price range. I think 8 series is stunningly cheap for what it is. Cheaper than S class coupe, cheaper than any other car in its class, but it's better equipped, lighter and faster as well; and it probably drives better.
6 series was 5 series coupe, this is 7 series in coupe form. This is not 650i.
It is cheaper than an S-Class but that's not to say the S-Class is well-priced. This is a lighter, faster, 6-series. It is not, in my opinion, a 7-series coupe. It might be in "badge" but it is not in form.

I have it on my short list of replacement options but not at this price point. It is different leagues and will cater to a different market but a P-Car Targa or MB GT are some options I'd consider at the $120-$130k price point.
      07-10-2018, 09:21 AM   #24
bimmer_335
Major
Rep
Drives: 540 mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
It is cheaper than an S-Class but that's not to say the S-Class is well-priced. This is a lighter, faster, 6-series. It is not, in my opinion, a 7-series coupe. It might be in "badge" but it is not in form.

I have it on my short list of replacement options but not at this price point. It is different leagues and will cater to a different market but a P-Car Targa or MB GT are some options I'd consider at the $120-$130k price point.
Few will pay close to 120-130K for it... my friend got a 750 for 35K discount (ordered to spec)

in my view MERC has better options in this category... when you hear people say 8er is a bargain and car is just getting launched, you already know its probably not "Best In Class"
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 09:23 AM   #25
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer_335 View Post
Quote:

Few will pay close to 120-130K for it... my friend got a 750 for 35K discount (ordered to spec)

in my view MERC has better options in this category... when you hear people say 8er is a bargain and car is just getting launched, you already know its probably not "Best In Class"
My fear is resale. I'm confident it'll be a $80-$90k pre own option in a year or two.
      07-10-2018, 09:24 AM   #26
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 540i

Lets see how the 8 is going to lease...
      07-10-2018, 12:50 PM   #27
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
You get ignored. If you want an educated, professional discussion let me know when you are ready to drop the sarcasm.
He literally wrote the most educated, professional discussion post in the thread.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 4
      07-10-2018, 12:51 PM   #28
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobUSC View Post
I'm sorry, I must have missed the part where the 8-Series was literally just a previous generation 6-Series with a higher number slapped on. You know, since nothing on the car is the same as before, and they don't look the same. By that logic, a 6-Series had no business being so much more than a 4-Series.

Anyway, the majority of 650xi's were in the $100-110k range once you stuck some options on them, and there were/are plenty of cars to consider at that price, as well. Plus, while the M850 starts in that same price rance, it also includes as standard a bunch of things that were extra on the 6-Series (M Sport, 20" wheels, Active Roll Stabilization, etc.) or not available at all (laser lights, extra power, rear wheel steering, etc.). A base M850 is more car than a loaded (or even typically equipped) 650 was, for the same money.

So if you don't like it, don't get one. Personally I think it looks like an Aston Martin, only with better performance and better tech, for less money. And it's a bargain compared to the competition at Benz. I'd take one in a heartbeat.
I agree 100%.
That is why I said 8 series is actually really cheap for what it is. It could easily be even more expensive than S Class, as it's lighter, it has better engines, it almost certainly drives better, and IMO the exterior and interior designs are both way ahead of the Benz, last but not least it definitely looks WAY more unique and more expensive. (S class coupe looks like C class.)

I would almost consider this low price as a mistake, as when you price your most high end car cheaper than ALL the competitors, that can devalue your brand.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50

Last edited by Cortexiphan; 07-10-2018 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 4
      07-10-2018, 12:57 PM   #29
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobUSC View Post
I'm sorry, I must have missed the part where the 8-Series was literally just a previous generation 6-Series with a higher number slapped on. You know, since nothing on the car is the same as before, and they don't look the same. By that logic, a 6-Series had no business being so much more than a 4-Series.

Anyway, the majority of 650xi's were in the $100-110k range once you stuck some options on them, and there were/are plenty of cars to consider at that price, as well. Plus, while the M850 starts in that same price rance, it also includes as standard a bunch of things that were extra on the 6-Series (M Sport, 20" wheels, Active Roll Stabilization, etc.) or not available at all (laser lights, extra power, rear wheel steering, etc.). A base M850 is more car than a loaded (or even typically equipped) 650 was, for the same money.

So if you don't like it, don't get one. Personally I think it looks like an Aston Martin, only with better performance and better tech, for less money. And it's a bargain compared to the competition at Benz. I'd take one in a heartbeat.
I agree 100%.
That is why I said 8 series is actually really cheap for what it is.
What is exactly an 8-series and what makes it cheap?
      07-10-2018, 01:20 PM   #30
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep

Quote:
What is exactly an 8-series and what makes it cheap?
Is any car cheap by that logic?
I said 'Cheap for what it is'.
Cheapest in its class, even though it will be the best in class in many aspects for sure.

8 Series is the flagship product of BMW, which is a premium brand. It's also a big, luxurious, high tech GT. If you're even remotely aware of the market dynamics, the industry, the brand image, positioning; it would be a huge mistake to price this less than this. I would actually dislike this pricing if I was an investor, or a board member. Why the hell it's way cheaper than the inferior competition?
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50

Last edited by Cortexiphan; 07-10-2018 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 2
      07-10-2018, 02:17 PM   #31
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Is any car cheap by that logic?
I said 'Cheap for what it is'.
Cheapest in its class, even though it will be the best in class in many aspects for sure.

8 Series is the flagship product of BMW, which is a premium brand. It's also a big, luxurious, high tech GT. If you're even remotely aware of the market dynamics, the industry, the brand image, positioning; it would be a huge mistake to price this less than this. I would actually dislike this pricing if I was an investor, or a board member. Why the hell it's way cheaper than the inferior competition?
You are saying it is 'cheap' for what it is, so I'm trying to capture your feedback on what you perceive this car is and why it could be consider a "bargain".

As far as being the flagship, it is. But, by badge. It is in fact, 1.7-in shorter than a 650i and about the same width. It is also 7-in shorter and 3-inches narrower than what you consider it's closest competitor which I believe is the S560 Coupe.

This is NOT the Flagship GT BMW should have built. It is an impressive and incredible vehicle and it is still in my shortlist, but it does not compare to the presence, luxury, interior design, and size that its intended competitors provide.

Perhaps, this is what the market wants. A more agile and dynamic GT, but in my opinion the price points puts it at a disadvantage.
      07-10-2018, 05:12 PM   #32
JRobUSC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Gray 2019 330i xDrive

Quote:
You are saying it is 'cheap' for what it is, so I'm trying to capture your feedback on what you perceive this car is and why it could be consider a "bargain".

As far as being the flagship, it is. But, by badge. It is in fact, 1.7-in shorter than a 650i and about the same width. It is also 7-in shorter and 3-inches narrower than what you consider it's closest competitor which I believe is the S560 Coupe.

This is NOT the Flagship GT BMW should have built. It is an impressive and incredible vehicle and it is still in my shortlist, but it does not compare to the presence, luxury, interior design, and size that its intended competitors provide.

Perhaps, this is what the market wants. A more agile and dynamic GT, but in my opinion the price points puts it at a disadvantage.
Why does it have to mirror the S Coupe in size? You seem to want the car to be big and imposing, like the S-Coupe, while simultaneously saying you'd consider the AMG GT and 911 for the same money (neither of which are as large and GT-like as the S-Coupe). Well if the M850 can offer Aston Martin level looks (subjective, but I think it does), S-Coupe level comfort and luxury, and 911/AMG GT performance (before you scoff at this, initial drive reviews have been stellar, with BMW going as far as to say "95% of drivers couldn't turn a faster lap time in a 911 than the new M850"), why is that not worthy of standing on its own merits? That seems like a fantastic combination of attributes, one that was basically unattainable previously by any single car. The fact that it does so many things so well, its breadth of abilities so wide, should be applauded. The market is full of vehicles where you have to choose what you're willing to sacrifice on one car vs competitor cars, here you might not have to. Or at the very least, maybe you only have to make compromises instead of sacrifices. That's a win to me.

Last edited by JRobUSC; 07-10-2018 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 7
      07-10-2018, 05:45 PM   #33
bimmer_335
Major
Rep
Drives: 540 mSport

Quote:
I agree 100%.
That is why I said 8 series is actually really cheap for what it is. It could easily be even more expensive than S Class, as it's lighter, it has better engines, it almost certainly drives better, and IMO the exterior and interior designs are both way ahead of the Benz, last but not least it definitely looks WAY more unique and more expensive. (S class coupe looks like C class.)
Merc is the leader in full size luxury sedan and coupes. There's no denying that... BMW has priced 8 with that in mind. If I was in the market for full size luxury i'd probably end up on the other side.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2018, 06:02 PM   #34
thermalc
Private
Rep
Drives: m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer_335 View Post
Merc is the leader in full size luxury sedan and coupes. There's no denying that... BMW has priced 8 with that in mind. If I was in the market for full size luxury i'd probably end up on the other side.
Exactly, BMW positioned the 8 perfectly...

If you want the big luxury coupe get the S class, on the other hand BMW offers a smaller lighter more dynamic car at lower price point. There is enough to really differentiate it from the competitors and at the same time each company is playing to their strengths, it makes perfect sense.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2018, 07:22 PM   #35
ano0oj
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 AWD, '23 Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor///M View Post
One word: depreciation.
Especially on the M8, I'm guessing it will be near $140-150k...after the riff-raff of allocated vehicles pretty sure you'll be able to snag a low mileage 1yr used for under $90-100k
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 07:39 PM   #36
Tejael
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

Garage List
2022 BMW M850i  [0.00]
Quote:
My fear is resale. I'm confident it'll be a $80-$90k pre own option in a year or two.
I agree with you but this is m850i
Am I missing something? BMW will have a regular 850i without the M hardware and maybe even a 840i eventually? Or will the M850i be the only offering ever in USA? I have seen pics of the 8 series without the M package similar to how 6 series was offered.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 05:09 AM   #37
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejael View Post
Quote:
Am I missing something? BMW will have a regular 850i without the M hardware and maybe even a 840i eventually? Or will the M850i be the only offering ever in USA? I have seen pics of the 8 series without the M package similar to how 6 series was offered.
What you're thinking, or what you saw, is the M850i without the carbon package. Most likely.

Still an M850i
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 06:11 AM   #38
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Other markets have the 840D. I'm not sure if BMW will bring the 840i to the states since it might devalue the model against the competition.
      07-12-2018, 04:26 AM   #39
mptpa
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Other markets have the 840D. I'm not sure if BMW will bring the 840i to the states since it might devalue the model against the competition.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So who knows if this non-M (though it is tagged as M850i), is subject to allocation? My local dealer said that they discussed with BMWNA and was told that they are only allocated just 1 8 for 2018 and did not want to 'give it away' to me for EuroDel.
2015 M4 (ED Aug 2014) Austin Yellow/Sakhir Orange, EXEC, DCT, LED, Driver Assist (SOLD)
2015 328GT (ED Apr 15), White, loaded (Wife's)
2012 X3 2.8, Dark Blue/Red (Wife's SOLD)
Retired: 2011 535i, ED / 2008 335is / 2006 525i ED,
2003 525i ED / 2002 Audi TT
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 09:54 PM   #40
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

Any idea when BMW Individual options will become available? I have an order slot for an M850 vert but I want to get it in Interlagos Blue. BMW says no can do. Info anyone?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 04:05 PM   #41
mptpa
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoggm3 View Post
Any idea when BMW Individual options will become available? I have an order slot for an M850 vert but I want to get it in Interlagos Blue. BMW says no can do. Info anyone?
Good question.
I have one for production in week 10 and I plan to do EuroDelivery. Got it for Euro Inv + $500. With all the options I took incl CFRP roof, it is $106k. Residual is still low at 54% for 3yr/10k lease.
2015 M4 (ED Aug 2014) Austin Yellow/Sakhir Orange, EXEC, DCT, LED, Driver Assist (SOLD)
2015 328GT (ED Apr 15), White, loaded (Wife's)
2012 X3 2.8, Dark Blue/Red (Wife's SOLD)
Retired: 2011 535i, ED / 2008 335is / 2006 525i ED,
2003 525i ED / 2002 Audi TT
Appreciate 1
Ibiza3480.00
      02-14-2019, 09:32 PM   #42
tarmant
tarmant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i-xDrive, Dravit Grey

pricing guide

I attach the updated pricing guide which was updated 10/18 and now lists the individual exterior and interior colors. Yet this is still confusing and I am working with my dealer to get my order in soon for a 5/27 ED pick up date.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Pricing Guide M850 Oct-2018.pdf (4.69 MB, 461 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 09:43 PM   #43
tarmant
tarmant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i-xDrive, Dravit Grey

Individual colors and upholsteries 2019

I am still indecisive as exterior - Dravit Grey, Tanzanite Blue or Aventurin red. Does anyone have a picture of these cars in these colors? Web site build your own does not even have these colors yet and my dealer has a couple color samples but not all. Making it very difficult to order
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 10:49 PM   #44
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

My davit grey:

https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1577540

You can see the gold flakes popping in this:

https://www.motor1.com/news/305341/b...s-dravit-gray/

Last edited by Wing Co; 02-15-2019 at 04:12 AM..
Appreciate 0