M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Bucket List Drives - PCH

07-18-2015, 05:37 PM   #1
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Bucket List Drives - PCH

So, this fall I am planning on driving the PCH while I am stationed on the west coast. I had a few questions and thought others here may be able to assist.

First, I considering whether to do this North to South (since I am leaving from Seattle), or South to North (which may give me, the driver, the better view). Anyone know which side is better to view and drive on?

Second, its not the furthest I have driven, but was wondering if anyone else wants to convoy sections or the entire drive with as well? I'm looking at late August, early September.

Lastly, what else are 'must see' stops along the way or best view points for photo ops? Any local meets I should know stop by? I plan on going as far south as the Snake and the Rock, north of LA.
      07-18-2015, 05:47 PM   #2
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
I'd definitely say Pebble Beach and the 17-Mile Drive: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/17-Mile_Drive
      07-18-2015, 05:50 PM   #3
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Pch is awesome but can't hold a candle to north hwy 1 from San Luis obispo to Monterey. That drive will take anyone's breath away

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 05:59 PM   #4
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
Pch is awesome but can't hold a candle to north hwy 1 from San Luis obispo to Monterey. That drive will take anyone's breath away
If that's the big sur way I second that. I rented a 458 a had a blast up there.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 06:18 PM   #5
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
Guess I should clarify - I plan to drive Hwy 1 from Portland down through CA the entire way, not just the more famous section of PCH

Thanks for the note on the 17 mile drive (detour) and Pebble beach, as well as Big sur! Will have to drive through there as well!
      07-18-2015, 06:34 PM   #6
JustinGTP
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 MINI Paceman JCW

PCH is amazing. Did it from San Fran to LA in a convertible, of course.
'09 LCI 335i E90 in BSM over Oyster Dakota Leather, Manual, Sport, Navigation, Individual Audiophile, Executive, Active Steering, JB4 + MHD BEF, 335is Exhaust w/AWE Tuning Tips, AFE DCI, Euro Tails/Fog Light Switch, various painted and other OEM + mods, 19" M5 reps summer
'13 MINI Cooper S Paceman JCW R61in Light White & Black Roof/Mirror Caps/Sport Stripes, Loaded + Rare
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 06:57 AM   #7
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy6698 View Post
Guess I should clarify - I plan to drive Hwy 1 from Portland down through CA the entire way, not just the more famous section of PCH

Thanks for the note on the 17 mile drive (detour) and Pebble beach, as well as Big sur! Will have to drive through there as well!
ok perfect! Then you will be good to go! such a epic drive you are going to love it! Take lots of pics

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 01:21 PM   #8
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a car

I've done it a few times from SF to LA, really nice views. Oddly, I've never done it from LA to SF, it's always been on the way back to LA, so I'm not sure which way gives you better views. North to South puts you on the correct side of the street, so you can easily pull over, for some pics.
      07-19-2015, 02:53 PM   #9
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
I might do the drive in August myself. I'm just contemplating on whether to take the M3 (driving pleasure, great sound) ... or our SL550 (top down, still fast... but very GT car and not 'fun' to drive) haha.

I'm going to steal some of these driving/route suggestions
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0