M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos I'm a traitor

07-15-2015, 10:53 AM   #1
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

I'm a traitor

My 2013 X1 is my first BMW, and I like it so much that I decided when it came time to replace my second car, a 2006 Lexus IS250, I'd get another BMW, and probably the new 2. Test drove it, loved it, started thinking how I'd order it - and then just got so confused by the options and changes from 2015 to 2016, and color limitations if you chose M Sport, limited tech options with CarPlay on its way...etc.

So I decided I'd lease something else for 2-3 years (I usually purchase, not lease). And I ended up in an Audi A3 Cabriolet, with the tiny 1.8 and almost no packages except cold weather and Driver's Assistance (rear camera/sensors and side assist). Don't even have Audi's equivalent to Comfort Access, Advanced key. I've already opened it a couple times, put key in pocket, got in, and sat like a dummy for a few seconds until I realized I needed to pull key out to start the thing...

But XBimmers, I really enjoy it. I'm sure it's much more fun with the 2.0 and Sport package. It's just I got a great deal. Now I see if the Audi can make it to elase end without any problems. I'll be covered, of course, but it's still not fun to have to drag your car back to dealer to fix this or that...

Forgive me BMW! I'll be back. And if I successfully attached the pic, you can not only see me in my BMW cap while inside the A3, but my X1 parked alongside...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 10:56 AM   #2
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

LOSE THE HAT TRAITOR!!!

Just kidding of course, nice car! I hope you enjoy it.

I'm on my last leg of BMWs for sure, they're too expensive and too BLAH now.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 02:57 PM   #3
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

I am going back to Audi most likely as well....S3, hopefully. Going to just enjoy the crap out of my 1er until then.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 09:24 PM   #4
GlobalScientist
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 Vert

If the vert was hard top + quattro I would have been sold.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 09:57 AM   #5
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalScientist View Post
If the vert was hard top + quattro I would have been sold.
I'm a fan of the classic convertible look. Hard tops do have a cool factor, I admit. But whenever I see a 4 series convertible with the top up, it looks like a coupe with odd creases/seams in the metal. I do regret that Audi doesn't offer a brown top on the A3 Cab, as BMW does for the 2 convertible. To me it's a little aesthetically off to have black top/brown interior (though there's a lot of black in the dash, etc). I could have gone for black interior but geez the X1's black seats can get hot...

As for quattro, well I live in Southern California. Just had a short fun drive around Palos Verdes, a hilly area overlooking Pacific and island of Catalina. That little 1.8 with front-wheel drive was relaxed and confident.

Anyway, back to the X1 thread...

Last edited by mullini; 07-16-2015 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 10:17 AM   #6
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullini View Post
My 2013 X1 is my first BMW, and I like it so much that I decided when it came time to replace my second car, a 2006 Lexus IS250, I'd get another BMW, and probably the new 2. Test drove it, loved it, started thinking how I'd order it - and then just got so confused by the options and changes from 2015 to 2016, and color limitations if you chose M Sport, limited tech options with CarPlay on its way...etc.

So I decided I'd lease something else for 2-3 years (I usually purchase, not lease). And I ended up in an Audi A3 Cabriolet, with the tiny 1.8 and almost no packages except cold weather and Driver's Assistance (rear camera/sensors and side assist). Don't even have Audi's equivalent to Comfort Access, Advanced key. I've already opened it a couple times, put key in pocket, got in, and sat like a dummy for a few seconds until I realized I needed to pull key out to start the thing...

But XBimmers, I really enjoy it. I'm sure it's much more fun with the 2.0 and Sport package. It's just I got a great deal. Now I see if the Audi can make it to elase end without any problems. I'll be covered, of course, but it's still not fun to have to drag your car back to dealer to fix this or that...

Forgive me BMW! I'll be back. And if I successfully attached the pic, you can not only see me in my BMW cap while inside the A3, but my X1 parked alongside...
Different strokes for different folks I suppose. My roommate has an A3...I drove it up to NYC recently due to this issue (http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1148168). The car just seemed like a glorified Jetta to me and wasn't very exciting to drive, in fact it was quite dull. Was plenty comfy though. He pretty much has the exact same config as you do but in the typical 4 door sedan style. The interior reminds you that you're in a base level Audi...sea of black and blank buttons that do nothing. The quality is nice though.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 03:56 PM   #7
Tim603
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
You'll be back...
      07-16-2015, 07:03 PM   #8
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Different strokes for different folks I suppose. My roommate has an A3...I drove it up to NYC recently due to this issue (http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1148168). The car just seemed like a glorified Jetta to me and wasn't very exciting to drive, in fact it was quite dull. Was plenty comfy though. He pretty much has the exact same config as you do but in the typical 4 door sedan style. The interior reminds you that you're in a base level Audi...sea of black and blank buttons that do nothing. The quality is nice though.
Well I'm coming from the sDrive X1 So the A3 cab has tauter steering and just about as nice an interior. The pop up screen (which you get even without Nav, like the new iDrive) is always cool. But yeah, it's a tarted up Jetta. There's no Jetta ragtop tho, so what the heck! And yes, AWL BE BAWK as our orange-haired ex governor famously said.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 08:06 PM   #9
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

What colour is the free skirt they throw in with this???

I jest i jest, would love a small drop top.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 05:12 PM   #10
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
What colour is the free skirt they throw in with this???

I jest i jest, would love a small drop top.
Ha I test drove a White A3 Cab with the light gray interior and I really felt that was a tad too 'pretty' for me. Afraid if I got that one I'd be calling myself Caitlyn in no time...

I guess if you really want to macho up the A3 cab you have to go black/black. But man that would be a lot of car washing and sticky seats on hot days...Scuba Blue and Chestnut brown, I'm comfortable with that, skirt or no...
Appreciate 0