M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Carbon Fiber Wheels - Shelby GT350R

07-13-2015, 12:36 PM   #23
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

I think this eventually got blamed on front suspension damage from mowing down some klag, but if you can't think of a broken wheel moment in F1, you must not be watching it.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/28/f...estroy-wheels/
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 12:40 PM   #24
Fast4d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

I have CF wheels on my motorcycle.

i would not want CF rims on a 3500+ vehicle. hit a large pot hole it could shatter and loose air instantly. I have seen plenty of pics of shattered moto wheels.

I recently got hold of forged magnesum wheels they are just as light.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 12:42 PM   #25
valbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F10 M5 CP 600 hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Uh, it's an FIA rule that wheels are a 'homogenous metal'. MotoGP allows carbon wheels and they've been used, but I think all current teams run magnesium now, which is heavier but last longer. But still not cheap.
Agree. FIA are conservative likely because of safety reasons.
Price. I am reading owner's blog of Nissan GT-R 1400 hp (member of the Unlim 500+) who has ordered a set of 2012 HRE CF2 20x10 (16 lb) 20x11 (16.5lb) for $22,000 ex-Works (no shipment). And to be honest Koenigsegg has carbon wheels (also some others have, e.g. Weds Sport, etc.):

Last edited by valbmw; 07-13-2015 at 12:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 12:44 PM   #26
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast4d
I have CF wheels on my motorcycle.

i would not want CF rims on a 3500+ vehicle. hit a large pot hole it could shatter and loose air instantly. I have seen plenty of pics of shattered moto wheels.

I recently got hold of forged magnesum wheels they are just as light.
Sounds like a bad wheel design. Seriously, guys race downhill mountain bikes on rims that weigh about one pound, with minimal air pressure. Folks also buy generic carbon rims from China that explode just sitting still. If OZ/BBS, etc get involved (or say, Ford, whose R&D budget for door handles is probably more than all of BBS's), this will be a non issue quickly.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 10:37 PM   #27
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Sounds like a bad wheel design. Seriously, guys race downhill mountain bikes on rims that weigh about one pound, with minimal air pressure. Folks also buy generic carbon rims from China that explode just sitting still. If OZ/BBS, etc get involved (or say, Ford, whose R&D budget for door handles is probably more than all of BBS's), this will be a non issue quickly.
Less than 1lb! I built up the 30mm ones for my 6" 29er and I race that downhill, with plenty of big air and smashing through rock gardens. Of course, half of that is the maxis minion 2.5s, still the best DH tire ever IMO! The generic Chinese ones don't explode, they do awesome, I have 90mm fat ones too for my fat bike, rode all winter on them. Of course, people keep trying to ride with too little psi, which DOES NOT work with carbon rims, but otherwise, they are great, and as a wheelbuilder, they are a dream to build up compared to metal "noodle" rims.
Appreciate 0