M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Tesla

06-21-2015, 02:51 PM   #67
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

What's wrong with being critical? Only thing I hate is people who call others haters if they are critics of their ideas etc. Since when did being a hater become a bad thing. I relish it and relish bitch slapping people who try to use that progressive bs with me. They're the ones deserving of contempt and the true killers of diversity.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 02:55 PM   #68
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

I hate tesla for the aforementioned reasons. Lack of range, slowness of power replenishment, battery toxic waste, and lack of top end. If it wasn't for people like me everybody would sing kumbyah and it would remain the same POS it is. But because of people like me, maybe these glaring deficiencies will be addressed and it will someday become a superior product.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 09:25 PM   #69
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jttBimmer View Post
This is not really a comparison... but my buddy and former CEO of software company we built and got acquired a few months back.... just took delivery of his checked-every-box P85D Tesla.

We took it to lunch today. I knew it would be fast. I didnt think it would be THAT fast. Holy face melting acceleration Batman. The acceleration is seriously insane. It is like having your own on demand roller coaster under you. Every time he hit it I am pretty sure we giggled like little girls.

I have an M3 on order which I think overall I will like much, much better (and for close to 50k less) but that Tesla takeoff is absurd.

Thanks for posting. Don't worry about all the negative comments that followed.
      06-21-2015, 09:27 PM   #70
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
You can have a hybrid and still ratain the soul of a performance car.
918 spyder
P1
LaFerarri
I think the BMW i8 is a good car to compare to the Tesla because pricing is similar.
      06-22-2015, 01:00 AM   #71
aloksatoor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Carrera S PDK

I also am not buying into the tesla hype. That dang company still runs like a silicon valley startup, the used car market for that is artificial. The build quality issues like panel gaps, shoddy seam welds etc are slowly being resolved. At least they stopped catching fire, that ceo cannot take any constructive criticism (lets be real its still a g-wiz under neath) from credible journalists (not just top gear thats a comedy show).
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 06:39 AM   #72
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

I like the i8 more though I don't like it much. At least it doesn't have the range problem and it's attractive.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 12:20 PM   #73
litxus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
I hate tesla for the aforementioned reasons. Lack of range, slowness of power replenishment, battery toxic waste, and lack of top end. If it wasn't for people like me everybody would sing kumbyah and it would remain the same POS it is. But because of people like me, maybe these glaring deficiencies will be addressed and it will someday become a superior product.
I think you are being a bit unreasonable? ICE cars had a huge head start in terms of technology, so why would you expect Tesla or any other electric car become way better than ICE car in every category in less than a decade or so? Nobody is singing kumbyah, but for electric car there is no better choice yet, and bitching about something doesn't really contribute unless you are an actual user. I mean if you sell a product would you take critical feedback from people that actually driven and used the car or somebody's opinion? If I bitch about let's say La Ferrari range and performance would you think anyone care if I never actually driven it?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 01:31 PM   #74
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Actually electric motors powered locomotives came out first in the 1820s, ICE applications didn't come around until 1860s. Henry ford decided to use the dirty ICE because of the availability of cheap petroleum at the time
But the electric motor using galvanic cell batteries were a few decades ahead of the ICE in terms of technology
The problem with Tesla is the inability for quick charge.
I'll quote James May when he tested the Honda FCX Clarity fuel cell vehicle a few years back:
We've built our lives around the car, the ability to get in drive around a few hundred miles, pull over somewhere and fill up with some type of fuel for 5 minutes and drive some more.
The infrastructures to deliver hydrogen fuel is already there and it will be the fuel of the future.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 02:34 PM   #75
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by litxus View Post
I think you are being a bit unreasonable? ICE cars had a huge head start in terms of technology, so why would you expect Tesla or any other electric car become way better than ICE car in every category in less than a decade or so? Nobody is singing kumbyah, but for electric car there is no better choice yet, and bitching about something doesn't really contribute unless you are an actual user. I mean if you sell a product would you take critical feedback from people that actually driven and used the car or somebody's opinion? If I bitch about let's say La Ferrari range and performance would you think anyone care if I never actually driven it?
I don't think I'm being unreasonable. I want the best car. I don't care if it's ICE, electric, or uses sail power. I see absolutely zero reason to buy anything else but the superior vehicle. And Tesla, volt, etc. all suffer from the same shortcomings I mentioned before making them so inferior as to be laughable. Once they correct these shortcomings if they outperform I'll be first in line. But for now whenever I see one, which is about once every 4 months, instead of waving I'll have my fingers on my forehead giving them the universal loser symbol.
'08 e93 AW 335i 6MT,Vargas Stg 2+ 20T clipped,VRSF catless dps & 7"FMIC,ER chargepipe&Tial, MMP inlets&outlets,Motiv Stg 2 fuel rail&dual disc clutch/fly, JB4G5,MHD w/Motiv tune,Fuel-it Stg 3 LPFP,Wavetrac LSD w/lockdown, KwV2,M3(Strut brace,frt control arms,steering wheel)AKE blk sub bush,re11 245/305,19x8.5et30&19x11et43,SmartTop,RE trans mounts,Msport rear bump & skirts,15%tint,ZSP knob,Stoptech rotors,241k miles
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 02:41 PM   #76
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
I don't think I'm being unreasonable. I want the best car. I don't care if it's ICE, electric, or uses sail power. I see absolutely zero reason to buy anything else but the superior vehicle. And Tesla, volt, etc. all suffer from the same shortcomings I mentioned before making them so inferior as to be laughable. Once they correct these shortcomings if they outperform I'll be first in line. But for now whenever I see one, which is about once every 4 months, instead of waving I'll have my fingers on my forehead giving them the universal loser symbol.

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 03:22 PM   #77
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Actually electric motors powered locomotives came out first in the 1820s, ICE applications didn't come around until 1860s. Henry ford decided to use the dirty ICE because of the availability of cheap petroleum at the time
But the electric motor using galvanic cell batteries were a few decades ahead of the ICE in terms of technology
The problem with Tesla is the inability for quick charge.
I'll quote James May when he tested the Honda FCX Clarity fuel cell vehicle a few years back:
We've built our lives around the car, the ability to get in drive around a few hundred miles, pull over somewhere and fill up with some type of fuel for 5 minutes and drive some more.
The infrastructures to deliver hydrogen fuel is already there and it will be the fuel of the future.
You should check the facts regarding the price of gasoline at the turn of the last century (1899 - 1900). Gasoline was not cheap and not readily available. Electricity was far from abundant in most of America in 1900... The "dirty" ICE was the better technology for the same reasons as today... Range and refueling speed. And back in the day, engine exhaust was far cleaner than horse exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 08:08 PM   #78
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

I've been hearing fuel cells for over 20 yrs. they aren't new either. They won't be used until it makes economic sense. That's nowhere near happening. Maybe in another 30+ yrs.
'08 e93 AW 335i 6MT,Vargas Stg 2+ 20T clipped,VRSF catless dps & 7"FMIC,ER chargepipe&Tial, MMP inlets&outlets,Motiv Stg 2 fuel rail&dual disc clutch/fly, JB4G5,MHD w/Motiv tune,Fuel-it Stg 3 LPFP,Wavetrac LSD w/lockdown, KwV2,M3(Strut brace,frt control arms,steering wheel)AKE blk sub bush,re11 245/305,19x8.5et30&19x11et43,SmartTop,RE trans mounts,Msport rear bump & skirts,15%tint,ZSP knob,Stoptech rotors,241k miles
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 08:10 PM   #79
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Quote:

My hero.
Appreciate 0