M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Jezza is not a fan of the Z06...

05-11-2015, 01:23 PM   #1
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Jezza is not a fan of the Z06...

http://www.driving.co.uk/car-reviews...ette-z06-2015/

The 3 star rating is more positive than the review itself......though, as always, it has some great lines....

Quote:
So if you want a serious car, buy one from the continent that gave the world Shakespeare, Monet and Emerson Lake & Palmer. Europe does serious well. It does substance. It does brilliant. America does Disney. And what we have with the Z06 is Disney trying to do a hard-hitting documentary about Africa’s civil wars.

Naturally, it hasn’t really worked.
      05-11-2015, 01:45 PM   #2
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

same old Clarkson... 10 pounds of sh** in a 5 pound bag.

seriously though - I've always been a big fan of his, and this article continues in his tradition of good entertainment. he's always black and white about everything though - I can't wait to to drive this car and see what I think of it.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 02:21 PM   #3
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

I don't really care for Clarkson or his reviews. He's just another journalist with an opinion. But I hate the way he always has to make everything about "America vs Europe".

Having said that, I think when he said the car was built to look good in a brochure, I'd say he was pretty much spot on.

I've driven the last generation Z06 and sure it was fast. But the engine felt like it came straight out of a Silverado.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 02:54 PM   #4
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

I love how he compares american vs european cars. Lets face it they are two starkly different styles in cars, and every time an american car gets marketed normally is "the BMW killer" kinda strategy, so the door is open for a ton of hilarious reviews.

Anyway Clarkson is the best car reviewing for my taste of reading. I love how he called Ferrari out on top gear when they were open to have the LaFerrari race against the porsche and McLaren.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 04:01 PM   #5
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

I didn't read the review, but didn't he love the C7 stingray?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 04:23 PM   #6
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky View Post
Yes, he did. The subtitle of his article summed it up. "Hold the high fives, Hank, till someone figures out how to drive it."

He basically said he wasn't capable of driving it fast, therefore it sucked.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2015, 04:39 PM   #7
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Yeah, he starts off this review by saying that (if he could get it in right hand drive), he would own a C7 Stingray. He just thinks the Z06 is no good.
      05-11-2015, 05:44 PM   #8
bravm3pwr
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Funny article. The Corvette is not a competitor to the European brand (BMW, Porsche, Audi, Mercedes, etc.) in my view.

It's a performance monster for sure. However:
Has anyone tried to go look at a Corvette at the dealer? The sales folks are horrible. I had a bad experience with a local dealer. I tried to sit in one, and they wouldn't even unlock the car for me to do so. Sales person said something about the car is over 70k and some b.s. about custom paint. I go to any above mentioned Euro dealers and they not only let me sit but gave me the keys to M3s, 5's, S series, AMGs or whatever the hell I want to drive. This is why no matter how good of a car Chevy builds, they will never compete with the luxury buyer unless change their sales mentality. The Z06 is at 100k. I'm sorry but people who buy a car around that range looks for great performance but also great services.

Also - If you have not checked out "How It's Made - Dream Car" from the history channel. Look at how a BMW, Porsche, Audi gets put together and compare that to the Corvette.

sorry for the
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 06:20 PM   #9
carsrmyvice
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravm3pwr View Post
Funny article. The Corvette is not a competitor to the European brand (BMW, Porsche, Audi, Mercedes, etc.) in my view.

It's a performance monster for sure. However:
Has anyone tried to go look at a Corvette at the dealer? The sales folks are horrible. I had a bad experience with a local dealer. I tried to sit in one, and they wouldn't even unlock the car for me to do so. Sales person said something about the car is over 70k and some b.s. about custom paint. I go to any above mentioned Euro dealers and they not only let me sit but gave me the keys to M3s, 5's, S series, AMGs or whatever the hell I want to drive. This is why no matter how good of a car Chevy builds, they will never compete with the luxury buyer unless change their sales mentality. The Z06 is at 100k. I'm sorry but people who buy a car around that range looks for great performance but also great services.

Also - If you have not checked out "How It's Made - Dream Car" from the history channel. Look at how a BMW, Porsche, Audi gets put together and compare that to the Corvette.

sorry for the
Precisely. I always crack up that they lock the doors on the corvettes! I guess the volume of people walking through the dealership with no means to buy the car, of which many would want to have a look, would do some detriment to the leather.

And I doubt many corvette buyers place factory orders, relative to m3/4 buyers for example.

Even so, I can't fathom going backwards in service. Bmw barely meets what I consider an acceptable level
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 09:29 PM   #10
Electron mike
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, GT4

Others may have better luck, but my Z06 was riddled with problems on and off track. A shame really since on paper it was very promising, but overheating on track and a long list of other problems killed the fun.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 09:30 PM   #11
MDREDev
Banned
Rep
Drives: Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsrmyvice View Post
Precisely. I always crack up that they lock the doors on the corvettes! I guess the volume of people walking through the dealership with no means to buy the car, of which many would want to have a look, would do some detriment to the leather.

And I doubt many corvette buyers place factory orders, relative to m3/4 buyers for example.

Even so, I can't fathom going backwards in service. Bmw barely meets what I consider an acceptable level
you would be dead wrong....there are tons of people that place factory orders for Vettes. Many many more than those that place factory orders for M3/M4. Now much of this is do to the fact that there are many more Vettes produced than there are M3/M4. Do a search for Museum Delivery in Bowling Green. There are thousands every year
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 09:51 PM   #12
Dethred
Rep
Drives: M4

The first paragraph is spot on. Just have a look at corvetteforum.com, where you'll find people posting things like "this is the best car in history" (direct quote) without any hint of sarcasm. When you post alternative suggestions to such a claim, they shout you down as a troll. McLaren P1? Only a troll would think it's better than the vette.

They're especially senile about the Gen 5 Viper, which they generally claim to be a piece of crap. When you point out build quality, they then open their Honda forum handbook and immediately bring up fuel economy. One guy claimed his M5 was a superior vehicle, and the general consensus was that BMW's are sh*t.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 10:57 AM   #13
dreamsongs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 - E92 M3 - 335i vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethred View Post
The first paragraph is spot on. Just have a look at corvetteforum.com, where you'll find people posting things like "this is the best car in history" (direct quote) without any hint of sarcasm. When you post alternative suggestions to such a claim, they shout you down as a troll. McLaren P1? Only a troll would think it's better than the vette.

They're especially senile about the Gen 5 Viper, which they generally claim to be a piece of crap. When you point out build quality, they then open their Honda forum handbook and immediately bring up fuel economy. One guy claimed his M5 was a superior vehicle, and the general consensus was that BMW's are sh*t.
Those Corvette guys are funny people....
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 12:55 PM   #14
Bahn360Photo
Fitness Gene
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
2006 bmw m5  [10.00]
2016 bmw z4 35is  [7.50]
2000 bmw m5  [10.00]
2018 BMW M4  [10.00]
1987 BMW 325 Conver ...  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsrmyvice View Post

thats so funny for you guys to mention this, i parked near a Chrysler dealer and saw hellcat and viper on the showroom floor. being a fan of the first generation viper i was drooling and had to walk in. as u mentioned all doors were locked, they refused to even acknowledge my presence and when i asked to sit in hellcat the guy smirked and said its not for me. maybe because of how i was dressed, i didnt have the suit and tie to match the 96k over price tag on the hell cat then i asked about the viper and he asked to stay few feet away!!! if this was my first time near that car my childhood dream would shatter and i would hate them forever, BUT i didnt say much just walked around stared at it for few minutes. in the mean time same nasty salesman and his buddy were drooling over my m3 and walked out to check it out. as i was leaving i walked up and said, "this car is not for u guys, and stay few feet away please" .......... Priceless look on their faces.

service makes a big difference

Effective 11 Min Home Workouts?????
No equipment?????
20 years of experience
Spartan Race winner
PROtrainer!
Click the link??
https://www.youtube.com/c/FitnessGene
Appreciate 4
      05-12-2015, 01:01 PM   #15
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahn360Photo View Post
thats so funny for you guys to mention this, i parked near a Chrysler dealer and saw hellcat and viper on the showroom floor. being a fan of the first generation viper i was drooling and had to walk in. as u mentioned all doors were locked, they refused to even acknowledge my presence and when i asked to sit in hellcat the guy smirked and said its not for me. maybe because of how i was dressed, i didnt have the suit and tie to match the 96k over price tag on the hell cat then i asked about the viper and he asked to stay few feet away!!! if this was my first time near that car my childhood dream would shatter and i would hate them forever, BUT i didnt say much just walked around stared at it for few minutes. in the mean time same nasty salesman and his buddy were drooling over my m3 and walked out to check it out. as i was leaving i walked up and said, "this car is not for u guys, and stay few feet away please" .......... Priceless look on their faces.

pure awesome.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2015, 01:06 PM   #16
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:

A Hellcat is over 90k!?!?!

Went through a range of emotions there.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2015, 01:24 PM   #17
Bahn360Photo
Fitness Gene
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 bmw m5  [10.00]
2016 bmw z4 35is  [7.50]
2000 bmw m5  [10.00]
2018 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
A Hellcat is over 90k!?!?!

Went through a range of emotions there.
yeah, it had a ridiculous market mark up (25k i think)

No equipment?????
20 years of experience
Spartan Race winner
PROtrainer!
Click the link??
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 01:38 PM   #18
neliconcept
Fashion Photographer
Rep
Drives: 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:

Yep, American dealers in general. Wanted to try out a GT500 and couldn't even get into the car. However, I had a test drive with an Aston Martin recently and got to really get into it (granted I can't really afford the car but I do dream of one day owning an Aston)
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 01:42 PM   #19
Bahn360Photo
Fitness Gene
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 bmw m5  [10.00]
2016 bmw z4 35is  [7.50]
2000 bmw m5  [10.00]
2018 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by neliconcept View Post
Yep, American dealers in general. Wanted to try out a GT500 and couldn't even get into the car. However, I had a test drive with an Aston Martin recently and got to really get into it (granted I can't really afford the car but I do dream of one day owning an Aston)
my point exactly, i had a similar expirience with Tesla, the dealer almost didnt let me out of the car until the battery died, got me to try every mode of power and some nice hard turns. (even though Tesla is an american car i feel like its more european/japanese compared to other american brands)

No equipment?????
20 years of experience
Spartan Race winner
PROtrainer!
Click the link??
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 02:17 PM   #20
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
He did, he also loved the C6 ZR1, declaring it the Car of the Year it's first year on sale so I'm surprised this one left him so sour.

EDIT: I read the review, very bizarre. They managed to make the ZR1, which has slightly less power apparently very easy to drive. Wonder why they decided to stray away from that seemingly successful formula.

Last edited by fecurtis; 05-12-2015 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 03:49 PM   #21
TahoeM3
Major
Rep
Drives: F-type R, GTR, X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron mike View Post
Others may have better luck, but my Z06 was riddled with problems on and off track. A shame really since on paper it was very promising, but overheating on track and a long list of other problems killed the fun.
Can you be more specific on the issues you had?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 03:56 PM   #22
TahoeM3
Major
Rep
Drives: F-type R, GTR, X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethred View Post

I like the Viper and have considered getting one, but it's a pretty well known fact that the ergonomics aren't great and even the newest version is difficult to warm up to. In the comparisons, it always loses to the comparable Corvette. I'm not a "Corvette guy," and I've never had one, but I'd take the Z06 over a Viper mostly because I think it's a better overall package.
Appreciate 0