M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos R&T Cites Consumer Reports Review Naming 15 Buick Regal Top Sports Sedan

02-24-2015, 08:36 PM   #23
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexplode View Post
I was going based on memory and didn't care to stop to move my mouse and type on the keyboard to find out... same result. Still boring numbers for that HP/TQ. Audi S3 = 0 - 60 in 4.7s with 2.0T. Done and done.
The S3 is way more expensive than a Regal turbo. It competes with the regular A3 - both start at $30,000. (the S3 starts over $41,000). The Regal is a full second faster to 60 vs the A3.

Last edited by CirrusSR22; 02-24-2015 at 08:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 05:48 PM   #24
huatian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: SS M4

Hog wash, not to mention it's butt ugly (to me). However, I travel to China often (about 3 times a year), the Chinese love Buick's. I ask my friends why they like Buick's so much? Their response is typically: "it's a good looking car, drives great and is affordable to middle class Chinese. I ask them what you think about BMW and Mercedes, the typical answer is "Tai Gui Le" (too expensive). But if they could afford the premium brands like Audi, BMW etc they would. Audi also has a big following in China, 2nd would be Mercedes then BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 08:02 PM   #25
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Good lord what a joke.

I am a sales manager at a chevy store, we have had a couple of these cars. Lets face it, they certainly beat walking, but a 320i sport would be DRAMATICALLY more satisfying to drive, likely more reliable, and hold its value better. For somebody buying rather than leasing, a bmw (even the new turbo 4 poppers) are cars that you can own, maintain and enjoy for 10 years without much issue.

As I tell my friends, I would much rather own/drive a 10 year old BMW than a new GM car, other than maybe a Corvette Z51 (summer only).... and I do.

An ATS would be a better choice than the buICK.

I'm thrilled with GMs come back, but they still have their issues. BMW on the other hand has the genetics, planning and intangible satisfaction to drive that is unmatched.
      03-07-2015, 08:54 PM   #26
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

I think they give a lot of weight to value for money, so much so that they should really pick a bicycle over this POS
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 09:09 PM   #27
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace View Post
For somebody buying rather than leasing, a bmw (even the new turbo 4 poppers) are cars that you can own, maintain and enjoy for 10 years without much issue.
Talk about a joke. You don't keep a BMW beyond the warranty period. They're money pits. I personally dropped over $10k in a year on my E39 in service and repairs (it was 6 years old). And got rid of my F02 when the warranty expired because the dealer straight out told me that if I didn't, I'd be looking at $30-40k in repairs.

You get a BMW for a few years, then throw it away and get a new one. You get a GM or Toyota to keep for a decade. They're way more affordable to maintain.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 11:33 AM   #28
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Plus they made a point of saying it was the best value for the price of 35k. Who knows how much that weighed on the pick.
Can you even buy something for 35k at a BMW dealership ? That might very well be the only logical conclusion at that price point.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 12:00 PM   #29
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

The Buick Regal is a very underrated vehicle and deserves to be selling better. Do I agree with it being named the best sports sedan? No, I think the ATS deserves that title. But, as seen in this thread, it doesn't receive the credit it deserves. I had the chance to take the Regal GS around the Lutz Ring when it came out, it was an absolute blast to drive.

Is it the same experience as the 3 series/ATS? No, but for someone who wants a good driving car vs the boring Camry/Accord/Fusion family sedan type cars, but doesn't want to spend the money for a BMW, Cadillac, Mercedes, etc the Buick Regal is a very nice car to buy.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 12:53 PM   #30
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
The Buick Regal is a very underrated vehicle and deserves to be selling better. Do I agree with it being named the best sports sedan? No, I think the ATS deserves that title. But, as seen in this thread, it doesn't receive the credit it deserves. I had the chance to take the Regal GS around the Lutz Ring when it came out, it was an absolute blast to drive.

Is it the same experience as the 3 series/ATS? No, but for someone who wants a good driving car vs the boring Camry/Accord/Fusion family sedan type cars, but doesn't want to spend the money for a BMW, Cadillac, Mercedes, etc the Buick Regal is a very nice car to buy.
I drove a load 6mt FWD GS. Very nice car, a tune away from being a fair bit quicker. I could not get past the $38k sticker. If somehow that same car was $28k, it would be hard to beat.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 12:58 PM   #31
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
I drove a load 6mt FWD GS. Very nice car, a tune away from being a fair bit quicker. I could not get past the $38k sticker. If somehow that same car was $28k, it would be hard to beat.
You're not going to get it at $28K MSRP. The normal family sedans are hitting that price( heck going into $30K isn't hard) on the top end models. It's to be expected the more upscale Regal will be more expensive especially the GS.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 01:29 PM   #32
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

Option for option, what do the Germans offer for equal or less money? A loaded up (including active cruise, Nav, etc.) Regal AWD has an MSRP under 40k.

I'm not into the Buick but it's not like they are charging what the Germans charge either. It sure can't depreciate any quicker than these German cars either.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 02:54 PM   #33
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
Can you even buy something for 35k at a BMW dealership ? That might very well be the only logical conclusion at that price point.
I wrote this when the original thread was stating that they picked it over the M3/4 for the award.

I think you could get a RWD Sport equipped 320 in the ballpark. I can't remember what magazine did a comparo, but they picked the 320 above the Regal GS for the winner. Although they really did like the Regal and said it was very close.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 02:58 PM   #34
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:

I agree with almost all of this except for the ATS deserves the title. They need to upgrade the drivetrains of both the 2.0 and 3.6 compared to the competition for this to happen IMO.

Plus GM needs to restore consumer confidence in quite few areas after the recent ignition scandal and some atrocious vehicles of the not too distant past before I can say they deserve to sell anything better.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 02:59 PM   #35
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You're not going to get it at $28K MSRP. The normal family sedans are hitting that price( heck going into $30K isn't hard) on the top end models. It's to be expected the more upscale Regal will be more expensive especially the GS.
At the time, I am confident I could have gotten the car for about $33k. Reasonable or not, for me, I would have liked the car for the high 20's.

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 03:47 PM   #36
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I agree with almost all of this except for the ATS deserves the title. They need to upgrade the drivetrains of both the 2.0 and 3.6 compared to the competition for this to happen IMO.

Plus GM needs to restore consumer confidence in quite few areas after the recent ignition scandal and some atrocious vehicles of the not too distant past before I can say they deserve to sell anything better.
Yeah the power trains could be improved. But is going to be hard to compete with the N55 even when the ATS gains the LGX for next year since the N55 is FI and the 3.6 V6 is NA. But the fact it is NA is why I recommended my dad go for the 3.6 in his ATS when he bought it over the 2.0T to replace the E90 335xi. Give up the experience of the N54/N55, but cheaper to maintain in the long run since he buys outright vs lease and dumps.

But the 2.0T is weak( and that is the volume seller). It sounds horrible above 3000 RPM and loses steam above 5000 RPM.

But the 3.6 still gives a good driving experience and that chassis is just bliss. I have a bigger smile driving the ATS than the E90 even though it lacks a power train similar to the N54. That is why I would give it to the ATS.

Yeah GM's scandal hurts them, but I am strictly talking about the merits of the car. As a car, the Regal deserves more recognition and sales.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 04:32 PM   #37
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Just got one for my wife. It does not out handle the 3 series, that's for sure.

But the bang for the buck with features is there and the interior is pretty nice.

0-60 in 6.1/14.8@96 stock, but tune nets 265whp/300+tq.

Would I pay $35k, nope. But I paid more like $24k and that's Civic EX/Accord LX money. This car is comfy as hell and handles well compared to other FWD based cars. For her since she works from home we did a lease this time. I did $250 out the door and $250 a month(39months, 12k miles a year). For that money it's pretty hard to beat this car.

Appreciate 0