M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) Results From the Start of the BMW M8 GTE Race Career

01-28-2018, 11:03 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Results From the Start of the BMW M8 GTE Race Career

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Results From the Start of the BMW M8 GTE Race Career
COMMENTS
Name:  cobb-Rolex24-180128-8075.jpg
Views: 19469
Size:  297.2 KB

January 28, 2017

Daytona. The racing career of the new BMW M8 GTE officially kicked off at the season opener of the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship in Daytona (USA) this weekend. At the Daytona International Speedway, Jesse Krohn (FIN), John Edwards (USA), Nick Catsburg (NED) and Augusto Farfus (BRA) finished seventh in GTLM class after 771 laps, sharing driving duties at the wheel of the number 24 car. Their team-mates, Alexander Sims (GBR), Connor De Phillippi (USA), Bill Auberlen (USA) and Philipp Eng (AUT) came ninth with the second car entered by BMW Team RLL. The number 67 Ford GT claimed victory in the 24-hour race.

Both cars showed great reliability and managed to complete the tough endurance classic without major technical issues in the maiden race appearance for BMW Motorsport’s new GT flagship car. No other new BMW GT race car has ever been more reliable on its debut. This was the good news for all involved at BMW Motorsport and in BMW Team RLL. Considering the given Balance of Performance (BoP), it was obvious, even before the start of the race, that the two BMW M8 GTE cars would be out of contention for top positions. More important was the fact that the new car was able to master the challenge of a 24-hour race from the word go.

“Our BMW M8 GTE successfully completed its baptism of fire here at Daytona,” said BMW Motorsport Director Jens Marquardt. “To finish such a tough debut race with both cars after 24 hours without major technical problems is something we can be more than proud of. Everything has been said with regards to the reasons for the gap in performance compared to the competition. The car couldn’t show its true potential yet. That’s why BMW and IMSA will continue their productive and open talks and have agreed to find an appropriate BoP assessment for the upcoming events starting with Sebring, allowing the BMW M8 GTE to show its true performance for the benefit of the series, BMW and all of our fans.”

Marquardt added: “As a matter of fact we sent a great GT car into action that holds huge potential for the future. Everyone at BMW Team RLL and at BMW Motorsport gave their all to get the most out of this race under these difficult conditions. In the coming race appearances we are set to be stronger, and we want to fight for top positions. The BMW M8 GTE has got all it takes to do so in any case. Many team members in Munich and at BMW Team RLL in North America have worked very hard in preparation for this race over the past months. My compliments go to everyone involved. This was an impressive team effort displaying a lot of passion. I’m particularly happy about the strong debut race of the BMW M4 GT4 in the Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge. The fact that our teams managed to finish second and fourth in the first race of the season shows that we are absolutely on the right track with this car.”

BMW and IMSA have been working together for years in a very positive and constructive manner. The BoP system is an integral part of global sports car racing including the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship. BMW and IMSA will continue productive, open talks and have agreed to find an appropriate BoP assessment for the upcoming events starting with Sebring (USA), allowing the BMW M8 GTE to show its performance for the benefit of the series, BMW and the fans.

The spectators were treated to a kind of unusual season opener. The anticipated rain didn’t come on Sunday. Only a heavy shower at the start of the sixth hour brought extra action in the pit lane. In addition, many teams suffered punctures over the course of the 24 hours of racing. Apart from that, relatively few incidents occurred, with only four full-course cautions. Never before were more laps completed at Daytona than in this year’s edition of the race.

In the sixth hour, the four drivers of car number 25 suffered a blow, when the BMW M8 GTE’s right front tyre burst after Auberlen hit debris on the track. Following 30 minutes of repair works, the BMW NA Brand Ambassador was able to rejoin, 17 laps behind the leaders. A strong result was impossible after that early setback. More repair pit stops followed as a result of that incident. Ultimately the number 25 BMW M8 GTE took the chequered flag in ninth after 729 laps.

The drivers of car number 24 delivered a consistent and flawless performance, trying to get the maximum out of the race under the given circumstances. Final-stint driver Edwards crossed the line in seventh.

Difficult race for Turner – Strong US debut for the BMW M4 GT4.

BMW was also represented in the GTD class. The number 96 BMW M6 GT3, driven by Martin Tomczyk (GER), Jens Klingmann (GER), Mark Kvamme (USA), Don Yount (USA) and Cameron Lawrence (USA), completed a total of 731 laps. After several unscheduled pit stops, the Turner Motorsport had to make do with 14th position in class.

The BMW drivers in the IMSA Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge (CTSC) also kicked off their 2018 season in Daytona – and they did so in style. The new BMW M4 GT4 enjoyed an outstanding race debut. The number 82 car finished runner-up in the BMW Endurance Challenge. James Clay and Tyler Cook (both USA) fought back brilliantly for BimmerWorld Racing from 19th place on the grid to climb into second place over the final few laps. The second BMW M4 GT4 in the race also made good progress through the field. Toby Grahovec, Jason Hart and Mike Vess (all USA) from Classic BMW team started the race from 34th place, but then produced a fantastic performance to finish fourth, only narrowly missing out on another podium for BMW. In the Street Tuner class, BimmerWorld Racing’s Devin Jones and Nick Galante (both USA) converted pole position to a dominant class victory in their BMW 328i.

Further reactions to the Rolex 24 at Daytona.

Bobby Rahal (BMW Team RLL, Team Principal): “It’s been a tough weekend for everybody at BMW Team RLL running a new car for the first time. I’m very proud of the job the whole team has done during the past months – working flat out to prepare the two BMW M8 GTEs for this race. You always have concerns regarding reliability in such a situation but I have to say, that both cars have run very well from that standpoint. To make it to the end in a 24-hour race with a new car is pretty good, I think.”

John Edwards (#24 BMW M8 GTE, seventh place): “At the Roar and during the race weekend we didn’t have the necessary pace for the known reasons. Having said that it’s good that we managed to score some points for the championship. Our car made it to the finish without major problems. That’s at least a small win this weekend.”

Jesse Krohn (#24 BMW M8 GTE, seventh place): “For me personally it has been a great weekend. My first race weekend with BMW Team RLL went very well, although there weren’t many opportunities for me to test the car. The hours I had in the car during this race were important for me in terms of getting familiar with it. So all in all the Daytona 24 Hours have been a big step for me getting perfectly prepared for the whole season.”

Nick Catsburg (#24 BMW M8 GTE, seventh place): “It was great to be part of the race debut of the BMW M8 GTE. For sure it was unfortunate that we were not able to fight for better positions. Nevertheless we gave everything. The car was pretty reliable. We had some tyre damage but we saw that very often in this race. I am impressed how stable the BMW M8 GTE was here. Our time will come.”

Augusto Farfus (#24 BMW M8 GTE, seventh place): “I think it is a great achievement to have completed the first tough 24-hour race for the new BMW M8 GTE without any significant technical problems. Due to the car’s BoP we were not where we wanted to be, but we showed great team spirit and fought to the very end. A big thank you to the entire team. Now I am looking forward to the next stop of my tour around the world at Bathurst.”

Connor De Phillippi (#25 BMW M8 GTE, ninth place): “The BMW M8 GTE has very good balance and is a really good car to drive. I think that it is much faster than we were able to show here at Daytona but overall we can be proud of our work. We were able to gather a lot of valuable data for the remaining season.”

Alexander Sims (#25 BMW M8 GTE, ninth place): “It was good to see that the BMW M8 GTE has a lot of potential. We now need to extract that as we’re obviously not happy with this result. But it’s been a really good car to drive through the race. I think the team did a very good job and we have learned a lot.”

Philipp Eng (#25 BMW M8 GTE, ninth place): “This was my second start at Daytona – and I enjoy this race a lot. It’s a different way of racing compared to Europe. The atmosphere is a bit more relaxed. I really like it. We had a great car in terms of balance and driveability. I enjoyed every single lap despite the fact that we weren’t there in terms of performance for known reasons.”

Bill Auberlen (#25 BMW M8 GTE, ninth place): “I had my big moment on Saturday evening when my right front tyre exploded at 170 mph. I was very lucky that the car stayed off the wall and I could avoid a crash. Although we couldn’t fight for top positions here at Daytona my general impression is that the BMW M8 GTE is the best GT car I've ever driven. I hope we'll be able to show that great potential soon.”

BMW M8 GTE at Daytona

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2018, 04:40 PM   #2
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Nothing cooler than a dirty, debris covered, beaten-on racecar. Haven't been a huge fan of the M8 hype, but that Turner car is for-sure my new desktop background.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 2
ItsGary1456.50
      01-29-2018, 04:41 PM   #3
marcva
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M345

BOP will hopefully get straightened out soon.
Appreciate 1
mookie45769.00
      01-29-2018, 04:55 PM   #4
GioM3
Private First Class
Georgia
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 e92m

Disappointing...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 05:31 PM   #5
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
Some amazing photos!

/// M3
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 06:19 PM   #6
lan4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, 2010 550i, 2015 M3

Garage List
We were at the race. What I found interesting was that the corvettes were on pole, but within the first 10 laps the Ford GT's were 15 seconds ahead (my unofficial approximate timing). Just running away with the race. Ganassi sandbagging during practice and qualifying to avoid BOP "adjustments"?

The new M8's were visibly slower than the rest of the GTLM field, but they did look good.

Regardless, the Rolex 24 is a fantastic race, and the Daytona facility is first class.
Appreciate 3
      01-29-2018, 06:21 PM   #7
B45_F30
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

I wish they had full 24 hour coverage on Direct TV. Got only 8 hours of recording.
      01-29-2018, 06:28 PM   #8
redrumm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS, M3 GT4, E30 M3...

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcva View Post
BOP will hopefully get straightened out soon.
Yea, I was there and BOP was a joke this year. All the classes separated early and not a lot of racing throughout the field of cars.
Appreciate 1
KillrM390.00
      01-29-2018, 06:28 PM   #9
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

They should make the street going car like this with those mirrors and the wing and the fender flares, it should also ride low and have air bag suspension you can raise for driveways but still handle like a race car.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 07:18 PM   #10
mookie45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrumm3 View Post
Yea, I was there and BOP was a joke this year. All the classes separated early and not a lot of racing throughout the field of cars.
BOP was such bs. They better make it more competitive for Sebring. No real close action this year but those Porsche RSR sounds never get old. Love hearing them scream on the straights and the down shifts into turn 1.

I was hoping they would’ve made the M8 louder than the M6’s in previous years but sadly that isn’t the case. The BMW’s are still the quietest out of the 50 car group
      01-29-2018, 07:27 PM   #11
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioM3 View Post
Disappointing...
Why? Anyone expecting the new M8 GTLM race car to be competitive immediately, have unreal expectations.

The Ford GT.R has 2 years of development on it. The Corvette C7.R has 4 years of development on it. Those two chassis are expected to DOMINATE. Porsche RSR, while never a dominating chassis, and likely never will because Porsche doesn't really care that much about their factory racing efforts, is a tried and true platform.

To expect a brand new, unproven, undeveloped chassis to come into the upper echelon of PROFESSIONAL racing on its first year, nay, FIRST RACE and dominate is unrealistic. The brass is right. For the car to finish and not blow up or suffer some serious mechanical failure that prevents it from finish is a positive to build from. IF by the end of the year RLL still isn't competitive with this chassis, then it's time to call it disappointing because RLL is a top notch team with top notch talent and money. But against chassis with more than 2 year's worth of development on it, RLL is fighting an uphill battle.

What's disappointing is the C7.R finishing behind Ford GT.R. 4 years into it that chassis should be DOMINANT. But finishing just down 2 laps at Daytona isn't the end of the world. That Ford vs. GM battle is the fight worth keeping an eye on for the rest of the season IMO.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 09:07 PM   #12
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Why? Anyone expecting the new M8 GTLM race car to be competitive immediately, have unreal expectations.

The Ford GT.R has 2 years of development on it. The Corvette C7.R has 4 years of development on it. Those two chassis are expected to DOMINATE. Porsche RSR, while never a dominating chassis, and likely never will because Porsche doesn't really care that much about their factory racing efforts, is a tried and true platform.

To expect a brand new, unproven, undeveloped chassis to come into the upper echelon of PROFESSIONAL racing on its first year, nay, FIRST RACE and dominate is unrealistic. The brass is right. For the car to finish and not blow up or suffer some serious mechanical failure that prevents it from finish is a positive to build from. IF by the end of the year RLL still isn't competitive with this chassis, then it's time to call it disappointing because RLL is a top notch team with top notch talent and money. But against chassis with more than 2 year's worth of development on it, RLL is fighting an uphill battle.

What's disappointing is the C7.R finishing behind Ford GT.R. 4 years into it that chassis should be DOMINANT. But finishing just down 2 laps at Daytona isn't the end of the world. That Ford vs. GM battle is the fight worth keeping an eye on for the rest of the season IMO.
Wait, wasn’t the Ford GT dominant in the class from the beginning?

Are they favoring the Ford with the BOP or am I just way off the mark? (Wouldn’t be the first time).

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 2
      01-29-2018, 11:11 PM   #13
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Hope they keep doing better! Hard the win in the intro race. As long as they keep getting better they'll crush it!
      01-29-2018, 11:29 PM   #14
Mantii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/E46 M3

It was like this last year with the BoP not appropriate until Long Beach, at which point things started turning around for BMW. I think this is a more sophisticated car than the M6, built to race in GTLM and WEC, so hopefully they can get the BoP sorted soon and not 4 or 5 races into it.

Didn't one of the Land Motorsport Audi's get called in for a 5 minute stop and hold because it was too fast? Such a wide field of cars and not easy to get everything correct the first time. IMSA usually does a pretty good job when it comes to BoP.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 12:24 AM   #15
E9TOU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
IMSA is usually pretty good with BOP adjustments and GTLM is usually really close! They got it pretty wrong with this race. BMW got a couple BOP breaks so I hoped they would have a better chance.
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2018, 08:41 AM   #16
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

I spent quite a bit of time in the RLL garage and EVERYONE was complaining about BOP. Specifically, compared to the outgoing M6, Auberlen said the M8 was 70hp LESS. Fords and Vettes would just blow right by them in the straights and they had some tough moments trying to get past GTD cars. IMSA really took into account the vastly improved 'aero' and their BOP hopefully will be adjusted for Sebring.

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 10:30 AM   #17
lan4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, 2010 550i, 2015 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
I spent quite a bit of time in the RLL garage and EVERYONE was complaining about BOP. Specifically, compared to the outgoing M6, Auberlen said the M8 was 70hp LESS. Fords and Vettes would just blow right by them in the straights and they had some tough moments trying to get past GTD cars. IMSA really took into account the vastly improved 'aero' and their BOP hopefully will be adjusted for Sebring.
Agree, we were there and saw the obvious speed differential, whenever a Ford GT was on the tail of an M8 going back out onto the banking you could see them just blow by the M8.

Question for those with more racing knowledge than myself. We were at a Grand Am race a few years ago at Watkins Glen and we were watching them (Grand AM officials) do actual full throttle dyno runs testing on the Daytona Prototypes. Does IMSA do dyno runs to test actual race trim horsepower?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 10:47 AM   #18
GioM3
Private First Class
Georgia
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 e92m

Quote:
Quote:
Disappointing...

Quote:
Quote:
Disappointing...

Yes Disappointing, because:
1. BOP is absolute joke,
2. To be down 70hp
3. This is not brand new chassis development, it's a evolution of M6, plus improved aero,
4. To be behind two fords, two corvettes, Ferrari and Porsche.
And most disappointing of all is, they've missed the trick by not creating mid engine supercar to rival R8
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 03:20 PM   #19
redrumm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Agreed, Auberlen told me the same thing!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 03:31 PM   #20
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

Quote:
Ageed, Auberlen told me the same thing!
Was your GTS at the BMW corral? I saw a total of 3 the whole weekend: white, black, and frozen gray.

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 06:01 PM   #21
BMW Gator
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C8/R8/1M/X5/JK Rubicon/FJ40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantii View Post
Didn't one of the Land Motorsport Audi's get called in for a 5 minute stop and hold because it was too fast? Such a wide field of cars and not easy to get everything correct the first time. IMSA usually does a pretty good job when it comes to BoP.
The Montaplast Land R8 should have won GTD. Their pitstop refueling was deemed "too fast" vs the "average" by I believe 8 seconds. They used 100% IMSA approved equip and passed the post inspection. They were penalized 5 min! I understand this is the first time this penalty has been given by IMSA. Still don't understand. At least the R8 platform (Huracan) won over the NSX.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 08:34 PM   #22
redrumm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Ageed, Auberlen told me the same thing!
Was your GTS at the BMW corral? I saw a total of 3 the whole weekend: white, black, and frozen gray.
That was my white one.
Appreciate 0