M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Need HELP on ODOMETER ROLL BACK

06-13-2015, 04:46 PM   #1
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

Need HELP on ODOMETER ROLL BACK

One of my vehicles was serviced 6 months back by the dealership. I realized today that they incorrectly logged the odometer as 38xxx instead of 28xxx miles.

I just returned from the dealership after speaking with the service manager and he looked into his internal system records on his computer and accepted that a mistake was made. He informed me what the real mileage should have been (about 10,000 miles lesser than what was notated).

He added a note in their system about this human error and gave me a print out. He also mentioned that their system will let carfax know about this and carfax should be able to fix this issue.

The manager also gave me a complementary oil change certificate.

I need advice from you'll as to whether this incident has any chances of adversely affecting me or my car's value down the road. Should I just let this incident rest or should I be doing anything more about it?

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 08:56 PM   #2
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

You could try asking the dealer for a notarized affidavit that sers out the specific facts, particularly the mistake they made entering your car's mileage into their systems.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 01:43 PM   #3
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3 View Post
You could try asking the dealer for a notarized affidavit that sers out the specific facts, particularly the mistake they made entering your car's mileage into their systems.
Bingo. Show it to any potential interested buyers later down the road.
🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 01:56 PM   #4
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybull View Post
One of my vehicles was serviced 6 months back by the dealership. I realized today that they incorrectly logged the odometer as 38xxx instead of 28xxx miles.

I just returned from the dealership after speaking with the service manager and he looked into his internal system records on his computer and accepted that a mistake was made. He informed me what the real mileage should have been (about 10,000 miles lesser than what was notated).

He added a note in their system about this human error and gave me a print out. He also mentioned that their system will let carfax know about this and carfax should be able to fix this issue.

The manager also gave me a complementary oil change certificate.

I need advice from you'll as to whether this incident has any chances of adversely affecting me or my car's value down the road. Should I just let this incident rest or should I be doing anything more about it?

Thanks!!
If the car fax has been resolved, I don't see how there would be an issue.
      06-15-2015, 04:12 PM   #5
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I wouldn't freak out about it. Real rollback is such a thing of the past that anyone should understand the error. It happens...

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 09:58 PM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

If the car was a BMW the key keeps a record of the service as does the ECU.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0