M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Top Gear, First Drive: Porsche 911 GT3 RS

05-21-2015, 07:42 AM   #1
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Top Gear, First Drive: Porsche 911 GT3 RS

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/p...ive-2015-05-20

I like this:

"And yes, the driving is very impressive - the 991 GT3 RS is undoubtedly the most secure, tied down, outrageously fast and agile 911 I've ever driven, but I can't help but think it's a bit of a shame you have to be going so fast to get your kicks. Hell of a thing, though. Properly full-on."
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2015, 10:01 AM   #2
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
but I can't help but think it's a bit of a shame you have to be going so fast to get your kicks
Isn't this the problem with almost all modern sports cars? They are all so fast and powerful you cant enjoy them anywhere. Even on a track day you aren't allowed to go crazy sliding around like this, unless you have enough money to shut it down for the day.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 11:49 AM   #3
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
Isn't this the problem with almost all modern sports cars? They are all so fast and powerful you cant enjoy them anywhere. Even on a track day you aren't allowed to go crazy sliding around like this, unless you have enough money to shut it down for the day.
Initially the attraction may be HP bragging rights and knowing you have prodigious power under the hood. But then, once you realize you're not going to track the car and are using it to tool around on the weekends (or even as a DD), it becomes apparent that a less powerful car may be more entertaining.

Along these lines, people are discounting the GS F before it is even released (because of the power delta). So power definitely sells cars although I think the GS F will be more fun to drive than its competitors precisely because it will have less power (meaning you'll be able to exploit its potential a bit more).
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 12:15 PM   #4
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3 View Post
Initially the attraction may be HP bragging rights and knowing you have prodigious power under the hood. But then, once you realize you're not going to track the car and are using it to tool around on the weekends (or even as a DD), it becomes apparent that a less powerful car may be more entertaining.

Along these lines, people are discounting the GS F before it is even released (because of the power delta). So power definitely sells cars although I think the GS F will be more fun to drive than its competitors precisely because it will have less power (meaning you'll be able to exploit its potential a bit more).
I can sorta understand it for a mid-full size car like the GS actually. You most likely aren't going to be doing any hooning a big car like that anyway so it may as well be stupid fast in a straight line.

I think even worse is all of the AWD performance cars coming out. How boring must it be to drive something like an RS5 everyday, you'd have to be going absurdly fast to get it to do anything even remotely exciting. I just don't understand how someone buys an AWD car (I kinda understand the GTR and 911 Turbo) over something that you can just coerce into a bit of slow, controllable oversteer.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 04:18 PM   #5
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

You don't have to be drifting to have fun. Well maybe you do, but I don't.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 05:23 PM   #6
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3 View Post
No the GS-F lacks the low end power for daily driving, compared to its rivals with torquey V8 twin turbos. It isn't really about top end speed or 1/4 mile times at all. That big heavy segment of cars needs that effortless low end punch, rather than ringing out a normally aspirated engine in a big people mover. The na Lexus motor is more suited in a sports coupe or smaller sedan.

Last edited by hellrotm; 05-21-2015 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0