M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Here comes the noob(aka me)

05-14-2015, 01:52 AM   #1
Jitevashaat
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 08 335i

Here comes the noob(aka me)

What it do Bimmer folks! Just looking for some advice kinda. Btw like I said I'm new, so idk if this is the right thread to post but just correct me if not. Also yes I did do some research kind of lol. To start things off, I just got my first car 😊08 e92 6MT! Full time student, full time employee, part time sleeping. So I've always been mechanically inclined and interested ever since I was probably 8 (20 now). Used to be in an automotive shop in school and just loved every second of it. Due to financial status and well my old folks never trusted me much with getting my own car, it was difficult for me to learn through experience outside of school. All I've been able to do is research research research For the past 4 years. Research on all kinds of whips, (civics, integras, 240's, Evo, s2k, etc...) I've only driven MT like 2 times(which doesn't add up based on my love for mechanics and automobiles) and both had me sweating. So here is where I'm looking for advice. I'm just extremely overwhelmed about finally having such a sexy car. I know I should have bought a beater first, but this was a pretty good damn deal. Embarrassingly enough I stalled out like 7 times today in the congested area of tampa. Luckily I made it back home safe and car was fine. My thing is, I'm so overwhelmed that I don't even know if I want to drive my car that often. I've been waiting eagerly so long, that I'm just afraid something bad might happen to my new baby. My plan is to get my uncle to guide me in custom building the motor and body work in a few years, he is a very unique technician, I also have other uncles who do the same work style. But how do I overcome this weird feeling of being afraid of my baby. Shit is skressful out here. Plus I'm still far from driving manual smoothly. Advice, hate, love, all welcome. I just want to hear how some of you all started off.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 07:15 AM   #2
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

We all start out driving manual a little rough. Drive around subdivisions, learn the engagement point of the pedal and you'll slowly memorize the release point. Start out just learning first-second-third in an open parking lot or something, and get used to down shifting as well.

Like anything, it just takes practice. Also, you might want to learn to drive the car before you try to make it faster. It's more important for you to move the damn car from a red light at this point.

Also, don't call them whips. It's a car.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 07:37 AM   #3
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

i was the same. learned (still learning) to drive manual at a ripe old age of 37.

conceptually it makes sense, but it's a matter of footwork and timing. i'd say force yourself to drive in traffic. and because there is a component of muscle memory, i'd drive and put in seat time as much as possible in the beginning.

i'm still learning the timing to do heel-toe downshifting.

a quick question tho, for all you MT yodas...

(i'm in my porsche 944)
let's say i'm on a 50mph limit 4 lane road, i'm in 4th @ ~3000-3500 rpm. I am coming to a redlight. I'm slowing down, more like coasting, and maybe lightly applying brakes...can I row directly into 2nd when my rpms dip down to 1500 and I'm around 25-30mph? or should i do the heel/toe blip sequentially from 4th to 3rd to 2nd to 1st?

also while driving in stop/go traffic or an area with alot of traffic lights. i find myself going to 3rd directly to 1st, alot. is that ok? skipping gears....
      05-14-2015, 07:49 AM   #4
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Skipping gears is fine....

You should always try to rev match. 2nd at 25-30 mph to me would still need a blip. All depends on the gearing of the car.

OP: Welcome and don't be so worried. Practice in an empty area by yourself, watch youtube videos to nauseum and don't push the car although you will be tempted. Last thing you want to do is shift from 3rd into 2nd at redline and break something.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2015, 10:46 AM   #5
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

The dreaded money shift...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 12:03 PM   #6
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

We can start by using paragraphs.
Appreciate 2
      05-14-2015, 01:47 PM   #7
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
The dreaded money shift...
This is an excellent instructional video on how to shift gears:

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 04:17 PM   #8
Jitevashaat
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 08 335i

Thanks for all the responses so far. Yeah I don't plan on building the car until after college, 2 years from now. But it is definitely difficult finding an open area when I live in the congested area of gainesville.

And wtf happened in that video? I was keeping up until shit went downhill.
Appreciate 0