M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos FWD M3???

05-08-2015, 12:22 AM   #1
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

FWD M3???

I have been toying with the idea of downgrading the M3 and have been shopping around a lot, mostly on youtube/forums.

Carlos Lago of Motor Trend described the 2015 Ford Focus as a "FWD M3" at the end of his recent review video. He seems to really have a blast in that car and is probably somewhat of a fanboi... but is he right? is the Focus ST a $25k FWD M3? Granted you give up a LOT as far as everything but functionality goes (quality, performance, sexiness) but the car is still somewhat aggressive (if not F&F and slightly childish looking) and seems to be at least a lot of fun to drive. It seems like it would hold up to some casual track time with new pads/fluid and maybe an oil cooler/separator down the road. FWD dynamics are much different but apparently can still be fun (and the B-Spec racing stuff seems like FWD isn't a complete deal breaker for a fun/competitive track day car).

I love the m3 and i think it's perfect for me, but saving a bunch of cash each month doesn't seem like a terrible thing. i know i'd lose a bunch on trade-in and be generally let down in every department but as long as i'm having fun i think i could get used to and over a lot of the shortcomings.

i'm not necessarily bored of the M3 but i do think getting new cars is exciting ... even if it's a downgrade .. it's still hype up in my head (and reviews). does anyone also have an ST to play around with or came from one before? i test drove another replacement consideration, the 5.0 mustang with performance pack.. wow that thing felt so sloppy i couldn't believe it. i knew it wouldn't feel as nimble but it was worse than i expected. GTI with performance pack is a though but very boring looking to me which is a huge turnoff and the stability control i don't think is 100% defeatable. the Golf R in manual and Focus RS aren't available yet and i by the time they come out i won't be interested anymore. the mini cooper s would be fun and is probably #2 behind the focus ST. i want something fun on the road, can have car seats in a pinch for my two little kids (2 yr old and 10 month old) and hold up to some HPDE weekends with pads, fluid, tires. has to be a new car.

i really should just keep the M3 but i just can't help but shop around..... i've posted similar threads before but still trying to gather intel and the new ST video got my attention. thought i'd try in this area of the forum for feedback...

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 01:27 AM   #2
ComptonAssDaniel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

I just don't think you're going to find a lot of cheaper cars that can truly compete with how refined the M3 is, not to mention how well it was built.

That said, I also don't know how much you are personally willing to sacrifice to save some money in terms of creature comforts and feel.

If you're looking for just a quick sporty car around that price range, the 2015 WRX might be up your alley. It's AWD too.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 03:28 AM   #3
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComptonAssDaniel View Post
I just don't think you're going to find a lot of cheaper cars that can truly compete with how refined the M3 is, not to mention how well it was built.

Quote:
That said, I also don't know how much you are personally willing to sacrifice to save some money in terms of creature comforts and feel
M3 = comfort?

That is why M3 lost any appeal. It is the new iPhone of cars, mainstream "wanabee too".
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2015, 06:34 AM   #4
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi
Quote:

Quote:
That said, I also don't know how much you are personally willing to sacrifice to save some money in terms of creature comforts and feel
M3 = comfort?

That is why M3 lost any appeal. It is the new iPhone of cars, mainstream "wanabee too".
it's expensive and has been "the best" in its segment long enough that it definitely has more appeal to a wider range of people... after driving lots of cars I couldn't find anything better, especially at such a wide range of things. others come close or beat it at a a specific task (speed or interior design) but I didn't/don't see anything that I thought was a better all-round package.

the money savings is partially trying to be responsible, partially an excuse to shop again. I can definitely afford the car, just not sure if I really WANT to. if I were skipping meals or selling my wife's jewelry to keep it, it would've been gone already and I'd be in a corolla lol.

I like creature comforts but most of them are a huge deal to me. I want Bluetooth so I can have a conversation while driving and have my hands free... air conditioning is important ... beyond that I want a sporty seat, sporty steering wheel and a sporty driving car.

the wrx actually would be perfect except that the last one I had blew the motor (STi) at 18k miles and I know a guy personally who has a 18k mile WRX that just popped his motor. I have a bit of a Subaru aversion now. not 100% out though.

ST, Mini Cooper S, GTI, Mustang GT, WRZ/STi is my current list, in that order. every time I drive the M, I get the feeling I would regret it, but it's just a car and I could always get another one. plan would be to get more of a single focus car later (cayman GTS ...)

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 07:23 AM   #5
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Something cheaper and not RWD? Golf R maybe?

RWD? 1er, 2er, or Mustang
      05-08-2015, 07:32 AM   #6
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

I have a friend who bought a Focus ST about six months ago. She loves it.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 07:53 AM   #7
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Don't try to justify looking for a new car on the basis that you'll be saving money by cutting your monthly payment on a <2 year old car. If you account for the substantial loss you'll probably take on trade-in and amortize it over your holding period for the replacement (new) car, you'll see that there won't be anywhere near the savings you contemplate by just comparing monthly payments. If you want a new car and don't care about taking a hit on your M3, then go ahead.

I for one would not trade a RWD performance car for a FWD one. I've had FWD cars before and I don't particularly care for the way they drive when pushed. If you could be a bit more patient and wait for the Focus RS, that just might be worth it.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 09:25 AM   #8
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

I would at least wait for the Focus RS over the ST. For a FWD car, I have heard and seen at AutoX that people really enjoy it, even more so the Fiesta ST actually. However, for a FWD, I would probably get a Mk7 GTi with the LSD.

But, in my opinoin, I would stick to AWD or RWD...so Golf R, Focus RS, WRX / STi, or 1/2 Series, etc. As for the finance portion...I don't know your situation and if it is worth it.

I had to sell my M as I was moving overseas...got screwed and ended back in the States. So I bought a Golf R as I needed a car quickly and it fit the bill. I like it.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 09:34 AM   #9
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I downgraded from a B8 S4 6MT to a FWD VW CC R-Line DSG. The hardest part has been dealing with an automatic transmission after nearly 17 years in a manual. I tuned the CC and added an intake so it feels quick enough which makes me not miss the speed of the S4 and daily driving an automatic makes my commute much easier. I would say to go with what you feel. I went from a Lotus Exige to a VW GTI in the past which was a bit more harsh but I was still happy with the GTI (probably the most happy with any car I've owned).

My S4 decision was also based on monthly payments and I have no ragrets.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0