M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M850i Extended Warranty

04-07-2024, 07:32 AM   #1
blueeyesshined13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 320xi

M850i Extended Warranty

Hello! My 2020 M850i Gran Coupe has about month left of factory warranty and thinking about whether or not an extended warranty is worth it or not? I’ve heard of a few options like the bmw platinum warranty or the Route 66 warranty after reading other forums but wanted to hear from other 8 series owners here and see what you guys have experience with. I am nervous to own an n63 without some kind of warranty but so far after 40k miles, no issues at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 12:13 PM   #2
RoccoVA
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46M3,E60M5,F97X3M G87M2 F91M8

For me, the peace of mind is worth it. BMWs (and honestly any car) are not fine wine and do not get better with age. Mechanical parts will wear out at some point. Hot/cold cycling from regular driving will make plastic parts brittle. Rubber bushings will dry rot, etc. Computers short out. At some point things are going to fail.

Another point I would make is that the BMW extended warranties are cheaper to purchase when the car is still under its factory warranty and would help you sell the car more easily later on to another party if there is still time/mileage left on the warranty.

Just my $0.02
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2024, 02:39 PM   #3
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoccoVA View Post
For me, the peace of mind is worth it. BMWs (and honestly any car) are not fine wine and do not get better with age. Mechanical parts will wear out at some point. Hot/cold cycling from regular driving will make plastic parts brittle. Rubber bushings will dry rot, etc.
Had the rubber bushings on the wife's 2017 X5 dry out/rot in the front suspension components. So my SA said time to replace. It was a keeper (until the unfortunate accident) but well out of warranty. Can't remember the cost but let's say $1K. Outside of rubber that was the most I ever spent on outside of regular service on it over a 7 year period.

Quote:
Computers short out.
With the modern vehicle nearly completely controlled by the Infotainment system that is the key. Electrical gremlins were always issues but now if they impact the Infotainment to the point it's DOA it doesn't matter the engine, drivetrain, etc. is flawless. The car is DOA.

Quote:
Another point I would make is that the BMW extended warranties are cheaper to purchase when the car is still under its factory warranty and would help you sell the car more easily later on to another party if there is still time/mileage left on the warranty.
Actually you have to buy the BMW extended warranty prior to the factory warranty expiring. If the latter has expired then it's 3rd party all the way. What does change is the pricing as there are tiers for the mileage on the car. In my case since I was under the first tier of 20K miles it didn't matter.

blueeyesshined13 if you go BMW Extended you absolutely need the Platinum as it covers the Infotainment system (see above why critical). I picked up a 7yr/75K Platinum warranty for a song and a dance last year for my 2020 M850i coupe (12/2019 in-service date). Given your mileage you'd be looking at the 7yr/100K but it wasn't that much more but a waste of $ for me as I'm still at roughly 20K miles.

See this post for the dealer in CA that offers extended warranties at a forum friends and family price. Where I bought mine and the process was simple and literally active 2 hours later (showed up in the MyBMW app) after closing the deal. Took BMW nearly a month to send the brochure, card (useless as tied to the vehicle), etc.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=31023807
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2024, 09:26 PM   #4
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

My M850 has the BMW Platinum, it's good but certainly nothing like the original. I went with BMW's vs Fidelity's (which my dealer tried to push) because there's no preauthorization required.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 07:01 AM   #5
yugrac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M850i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post

See this post for the dealer in CA that offers extended warranties at a forum friends and family price. Where I bought mine and the process was simple and literally active 2 hours later (showed up in the MyBMW app) after closing the deal. Took BMW nearly a month to send the brochure, card (useless as tied to the vehicle), etc.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=31023807
Not sure she is still doing this, as I contacted Ms. Newman via email, but did not get a response. I may try calling them, but I have 1-1/2 years left on my 4-year factory warranty, so no rush.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 05:16 PM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yugrac View Post
Not sure she is still doing this, as I contacted Ms. Newman via email, but did not get a response. I may try calling them, but I have 1-1/2 years left on my 4-year factory warranty, so no rush.
Keep in mind that the email address was a guess in translation from their old domain to the new domain. Plus cnewman stayed the same. I'd call and ask for Christine.
Appreciate 1
yugrac155.50
      04-09-2024, 01:32 PM   #7
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
It didn't take much but a search across a different series forum (how I found out about Steve Thomas BMW aka now BMW of Camarillo) to get the updated email address. Just a lot more traction of posts on that series vs here on the 8-series.

The new email address to reach Christine is vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com make sure to include your VIN and mileage. Christine is pretty backed up so you can also PM GOLFFRR if you don't hear back in a day or 2. Believe me they will take care of you with a much better Extended Warranty deal than any other BMW dealer. 👍
Appreciate 3
GOLFFRR10821.50
snowbimmer5254.00
yugrac155.50
      04-09-2024, 01:44 PM   #8
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
It didn't take much but a search across a different series forum (how I found out about Steve Thomas BMW aka now BMW of Camarillo) to get the updated email address. Just a lot more traction of posts on that series vs here on the 8-series.

The new email address to reach Christine is vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com make sure to include your VIN and mileage. Christine is pretty backed up so you can also PM GOLFFRR if you don't hear back in a day or 2. Believe me they will take care of you with a much better Extended Warranty deal than any other BMW dealer. 👍

yes anyone who has any issues hearing back from them just message me your email address and I can follow up for you

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 06:49 PM   #9
yugrac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M850i Convertible

Quote:

Nice follow up sir!
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10821.50
      04-10-2024, 04:01 PM   #10
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC

Route 66 is excellent (better than BMW extended warranty IMO) but does not cover the 8 series. Fidelity is another great option. You can enter your vin and mileage on this website for a quote.

https://factoryprotect.ratessys.com/direct/collect/auto
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 12:17 PM   #11
RedCard
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M8 Comp Convertible

My '22 M8 Comp Conv warranty expires on 7/5/24. I'll buy an extended warranty well before that date. Mileage right now is under 16k.

I got an email, then spoke to a rep from Century Warranty Services. I assume they're 3rd party and not the same as a BMW Warranty, although they try to sound like the preffered provider. Their cost is $6917 for additional 5 years and 60k miles.

Does anybody have any experience with them. Or suggestions on how I should proceed with getting an extended warranty?
      04-16-2024, 09:09 PM   #12
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCard View Post
My '22 M8 Comp Conv warranty expires on 7/5/24. I'll buy an extended warranty well before that date. Mileage right now is under 16k.

I got an email, then spoke to a rep from Century Warranty Services. I assume they're 3rd party and not the same as a BMW Warranty, although they try to sound like the preffered provider. Their cost is $6917 for additional 5 years and 60k miles.

Does anybody have any experience with them. Or suggestions on how I should proceed with getting an extended warranty?
Haven't heard of them but as already shared Fidelity is solid for a 3rd party warranty service. As for Century you'll need details on the Century Guard Max plan when it comes to "basical electrical" and "expanded electrical".

Not sure whether either will cover the core iDrive system that is key for any modern car. The BMW Platinum does no questions asked (specifically called out as the Infotainment system) and why I went with it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
RedCard111.00