M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M850i exhaust sound

05-13-2024, 12:35 PM   #23
VeeTec2000
VeeTec2000
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M850i Gran Coupe

2024 Stock BMW M850i Gran Coupe

I actually like the way the way my stock 2024 BMW M850i exhaust sounds. Check it out...

https://youtube.com/shorts/6MbIv3IBe...LCyVbzSBEFT7gT
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 06:36 PM   #24
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Yes, as all the "Sporty" setting in iDrive is technically control of the ASD aka fabricated sound in the cabin. I say "technically" as if put on "reduced" it will also impact the ECU into basically the comfort mode drive setting and negate the ASD to nearly gone.

I've never used anything other than "depends on driving mode" setting which given always starting and driving in Sport Individual equals the same as Sporty. However, even in either modes on cold start the flaps are closed. Now flaps permanently open plus ASD defeated (another fuse or Bimmercode) the car is a completely different animal. I'd say what it was intended to be from the get go but BMW along with state guidelines on exhaust decibels may argue differently.
Another question - does pulling the fuse make it louder then pushing the sport button and then starting? I though hitting the sport button opened the flaps?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 07:49 PM   #25
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerx5 View Post
Another question - does pulling the fuse make it louder then pushing the sport button and then starting? I though hitting the sport button opened the flaps?
The simple answer is no. I used to believe that starting in Sport Individual with the engine setting on Sport Plus (richest fuel mixture in all the ECU settings) made a difference on startup. Absolutely not the case as regardless of the start mode the flaps are closed. Case-in-point I don't even bother starting in Sport Individual mode as with the flaps open it's and even the default Comfort it's an entire new experience. Scares the neighbors. 😜

I also believed (which is partially true) that once in Sport Individual and the engine sound setting on "depends on drive mode" with the B&W at 40% plus it drowned out the ASD. It did to some regards but now with the ASD fuse pulled even in Comfort mode the natural exhaust sound is more prevalent in the cabin than before. As stated earlier in the thread I'll start in default Comfort well in the car or remote start and then switch to Sport Individual to absolutely relish in the exhaust sound.

Here's a great example. As I walked out with some friends to the corporate parking garage last week, with some of them and their EVs charging on our bank of chargers (main floor) and the the M850i was on close to the level below I triple pressed the fob for the remote start. That echoed through the entire garage and my parting words were "ice all the way" as they couldn't even believe the glorious sound/volume of the remote start. 👍
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 08:43 PM   #26
mikerx5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The simple answer is no. I used to believe that starting in Sport Individual with the engine setting on Sport Plus (richest fuel mixture in all the ECU settings) made a difference on startup. Absolutely not the case as regardless of the start mode the flaps are closed. Case-in-point I don't even bother starting in Sport Individual mode as with the flaps open it's and even the default Comfort it's an entire new experience. Scares the neighbors. 😜

I also believed (which is partially true) that once in Sport Individual and the engine sound setting on "depends on drive mode" with the B&W at 40% plus it drowned out the ASD. It did to some regards but now with the ASD fuse pulled even in Comfort mode the natural exhaust sound is more prevalent in the cabin than before. As stated earlier in the thread I'll start in default Comfort well in the car or remote start and then switch to Sport Individual to absolutely relish in the exhaust sound.

Here's a great example. As I walked out with some friends to the corporate parking garage last week, with some of them and their EVs charging on our bank of chargers (main floor) and the the M850i was on close to the level below I triple pressed the fob for the remote start. That echoed through the entire garage and my parting words were "ice all the way" as they couldn't even believe the glorious sound/volume of the remote start. 👍
So in another words I need to pull the fuse
Appreciate 1
NGT25760.00
      05-13-2024, 09:17 PM   #27
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So in another words I need to pull the fuse
Absolutely and I just did a test as the wife wanted me to run and errand while her and I are watching the OKC/Maverick's playoff game in the MBR. She asked for the errand run so I grabbed my wallet and key from the basket on the credenza in the MBR.

You'd have to understand southwest architecture design but we have a 3500 sqft home with the garage on the west side, door opens to the utility room and then into the kitchen and the MBR is on the far east end of the house with R30 in all walls along the way.. I said "can you mute the TV for a minute" which she did and then I triple pressed the fob for the remote start (which defaults to Comfort). Once the car started we could hear it in the MBR. She asked what the <blank>? and my answer "the beast" which is my nickname for the M850i. 👍

Also pull the ASD fuse as well as it makes an in cabin difference I had no clue to the extent until I did so.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 09:42 PM   #28
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Absolutely and I just did a test as the wife wanted me to run and errand while her and I are watching the OKC/Maverick's playoff game in the MBR. She asked for the errand run so I grabbed my wallet and key from the basket on the credenza in the MBR.

You'd have to understand southwest architecture design but we have a 3500 sqft home with the garage on the west side, door opens to the utility room and then into the kitchen and the MBR is on the far east end of the house with R30 in all walls along the way.. I said "can you mute the TV for a minute" which she did and then I triple pressed the fob for the remote start (which defaults to Comfort). Once the car started we could hear it in the MBR. She asked what the <blank>? and my answer "the beast" which is my nickname for the M850i. 👍

Also pull the ASD fuse as well as it makes an in cabin difference I had no clue to the extent until I did so.
I coded off ASD in my M550 and even though the M850 exhaust is more aggressive, I agree turning off ASD is the way to go in either car. You’re making me want to pull the fuse on the flaps. Or install a Dinan remote switch for the flaps. I already cut out my resonators, which is a great bang for the buck improvement.

To your story, my garage is right off our bedroom window. Yesterday my wife was still asleep and me and the 7 year old snuck out to get her Mother’s Day breakfast and coffee. She immediately texted me “where are y’all going??”. You can’t sneak out with an N63!

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2024, 10:10 PM   #29
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
I coded off ASD in my M550 and even though the M850 exhaust is more aggressive, I agree turning off ASD is the way to go in either car. You’re making me want to pull the fuse on the flaps. Or install a Dinan remote switch for the flaps. I already cut out my resonators, which is a great bang for the buck improvement.

To your story, my garage is right off our bedroom window. Yesterday my wife was still asleep and me and the 7 year old snuck out to get her Mother’s Day breakfast and coffee. She immediately texted me “where are y’all going??”. You can’t sneak out with an N63!
Pull the fuse and have the flaps open and your neighbors will know every time you're leaving the house.
Appreciate 1
NGT25760.00
      05-15-2024, 04:17 AM   #30
mikerx5
Captain
Rep

What fuse is ASD and what am I losing by removing it if anything? This is happening this week
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 06:34 AM   #31
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
What fuse is ASD and what am I losing by removing it if anything? This is happening this week
Active Sound Design is the fake engine noise from the speakers. I don’t know where the fuse is, but I coded it off with Bimmercode.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0