M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion RESOLVED: Car starting/switching into limp mode

12-23-2023, 08:09 PM   #23
ctelimad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kponti View Post
That's only if you have catless primary downpipes. Neither of the two piggybacks can help with with cels if you have a catless primary downpipe.
JB4 will turn it off forcefully with every restart but it's like disconnecting your battery with every restart
No this is different then cel trigerred by catless primaries
U need a dme tune to turn it off if primary . Nothing else can turn it off not even jb4
I am talking about cel trigerred by increase boost from racechip (something different)
People who had this issue with racechip will understand (some of them are on this forum)
Jb4 usually works better when u habe mods because it adjusts by reading data from the obd2 ao it doesnt overboost if u have catless second or eventuri
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 01:04 PM   #24
Kponti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8C comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctelimad View Post
No this is different then cel trigerred by catless primaries
U need a dme tune to turn it off if primary . Nothing else can turn it off not even jb4
I am talking about cel trigerred by increase boost from racechip (something different)
People who had this issue with racechip will understand (some of them are on this forum)
Jb4 usually works better when u habe mods because it adjusts by reading data from the obd2 ao it doesnt overboost if u have catless second or eventuri
Ahh gotcha, must be a vehicle specific issue not model-specific.
I have secondary catless dp and have no issues with my Racechip. I had more issues with my JB4 (which was barely any issues at all) with my older F90 than I have had with the Racechip and this car.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 01:27 PM   #25
ctelimad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kponti View Post
Ahh gotcha, must be a vehicle specific issue not model-specific.
I have secondary catless dp and have no issues with my Racechip. I had more issues with my JB4 (which was barely any issues at all) with my older F90 than I have had with the Racechip and this car.
Agree it is car specific
Piggybacks works differently on each car and they perform differently depending on the car and mods
Nothing better then a flash tune
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2023, 09:57 PM   #26
MiamiM8Comp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition

I had problems with Racechip when I installed it. Long story short, I was told by the actual Racechip techs that Racechip and modified cars (I have after market downpipes) did not play well. So I'm sure that lots of people have modified cars and are using the Racechip but it did not work well with mine. I went the JB4 route and never looked back.

Perhaps you need to chat with the Racechip techs.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 08:20 PM   #27
Da_BatMann_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M8C GC

Coming in with an update, this has finally been resolved... Went into the dealer last week again after I got a code thrown for Vanos bank 2. The dealer replaced my vanos actuator and so far after a few days haven't gone limp and the car feels and accelerates much much better.
Appreciate 3
zjldmd12.00
Seaford1147.50
Tenac4539.50
      02-11-2024, 05:28 PM   #28
morpheuszl
United_States
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp

Ok I know this is a bit late but I have the same problem. I don’t think it’s a big deal since I just stop at a light and restart the car and the rpm limiter on 4k is gone. However, the problem do resemble yours, I often encounter this when I am in the park mode of the car for sometime. It doesn’t happen all the time but I started to notice it after 5k miles( maybe because I installed stage 1 on the verge of 5k miles) My m8c is 2020 and with carbahn stage 1, full FI EXHAUST ( did not remove anything resonator etc)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 01:34 PM   #29
eldyf93
Extraordinaire
Rep
Drives: F93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_BatMann_ View Post
Coming in with an update, this has finally been resolved... Went into the dealer last week again after I got a code thrown for Vanos bank 2. The dealer replaced my vanos actuator and so far after a few days haven't gone limp and the car feels and accelerates much much better.
Glad you got it fixed after six months! Enjoy in good health!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 10:22 AM   #30
Da_BatMann_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M8C GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheuszl View Post
Ok I know this is a bit late but I have the same problem. I don’t think it’s a big deal since I just stop at a light and restart the car and the rpm limiter on 4k is gone. However, the problem do resemble yours, I often encounter this when I am in the park mode of the car for sometime. It doesn’t happen all the time but I started to notice it after 5k miles( maybe because I installed stage 1 on the verge of 5k miles) My m8c is 2020 and with carbahn stage 1, full FI EXHAUST ( did not remove anything resonator etc)
Sounds very similar to what was happening to me - always happened on cold starts. I haven't had this happen since they changed my Vanos, so start with that. I still have warranty on mine, but regardless it's a quick and cheap fix - had my car back the same day.

That being said, I told them countless times to check the VANOS but they wouldn't since the car never threw a code, until 6 months later.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 11:22 AM   #31
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 04:46 PM   #32
morpheuszl
United_States
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_BatMann_ View Post
Sounds very similar to what was happening to me - always happened on cold starts. I haven't had this happen since they changed my Vanos, so start with that. I still have warranty on mine, but regardless it's a quick and cheap fix - had my car back the same day.

That being said, I told them countless times to check the VANOS but they wouldn't since the car never threw a code, until 6 months later.
Damn ok got it. I did get my car flagged by the dealer cuz I was too lazy to remove my stage 1 before sending car in for a within warranty fix on speaker and gesture system. However the warranty goes away in April, I think imma send in the car later this week. Overall I think this might be a f9x m8 issue, my friend had his 22’ gc same issue but went away after a week or so for good.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 04:16 PM   #33
Kponti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8C comp

I've been getting acceleration-reduced codes on my car ever since I installed the Racechip with secondary catless pipes. However, you wouldn't know unless you run a code check cos there is no light. I am able to run my best times of 10.4@132mph with Racechip, secondary catless and Dinan inlet even with the silent code. I think this car prefers an actual tune to get me that 135/136mph trap speeds I have been looking for
Appreciate 0