M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Is threshold braking still a thing?

01-30-2020, 08:41 PM   #1
DRA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Comp, 2018 BMW X5

Smile Is threshold braking still a thing?

I am wondering, is threshold braking still a thing for modern M cars? I heard that Porsche GT3 ABS outperforms threshold braking and I am curious if that's the same case for M8.

I used to drive cars w/o ABS, so I guess I will be able to re-gain the skills if needed, although not sure if I am getting a lot of feedback from the brake pedal for the wheel lock in the M8.

Last edited by DRA; 01-30-2020 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 10:25 AM   #2
DRA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Comp, 2018 BMW X5

Well. Judging by the silence, no one really cares for threshold braking these days...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 06:43 PM   #3
falb
M6GC
United_States
Rep
Drives: RIP e60 M5, e39 M5, e39 540-6

Generally speaking all GT race cars should be driven by crushing the brake pedal and charging the system with as much pressure as possible to let the ABS system do the work. You would roll off the brake as the speed sheds and you need to control the front on corner entry. The same is generally true for road cars. Each corner is different so you may only need a brush of the brakes or even a lift could do the trick. Race cars tune the ABS to work optimally with the car and brake system. A human could brake better than an ABS system in a perfect scenario but you can't be more consistent and wring out ultimate stopping power better than a proper ABS system.

Prototypes have no ABS and therefore rely on the increased aero at speed to allow high brake pressure but it must be bled off as the speed goes down.

No threshold braking in my M6....just crush the brake pedal and the system hauls the car down perfectly every time.
#25 Algarve Pro Oreca LMP2 in ELMS
Appreciate 1
DRA146.50