M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Rearview camera recall, campaign 19V-684

02-01-2020, 05:59 PM   #23
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Have never owned a Mercedes so going by your experience from a customer satisfaction standpoint. My last 2 cars were both Lexus from the same dealership and I can emphatically state that Lexus dealership (not sure if parity across them all) was beyond fantastic. My BMW dealer has now delivered one loaner to the house due to the cerenium eradication program in which they 100% stepped up to resolve.

On the flip side the Lexus dealership provided the same service multiple times over the years. In fact on one occasion I dropped off the GS430 for service and they had some issues getting the parts required. I had their loaner and needed to take a last minute business trip to Chicago. Called my service adviser to let him know of the situation. He told me to keep the loaner at the house and scheduled a black car service to take me to the airport. He also coordinated with my wife to drop off the GS430 and pick up the loaner based on her schedule while I was away. Now that's total customer satisfaction!
What I don't like is that when a BMW franchisee does something/s very wrong/unethical, BMW USA just passes the buck. I have found when dealing with MBUSA over the years especially when owning their flagship vehicles they really stepped up and made the experience of owning these cars even better. The main reason I went with the M850 over another S Coupe is I wanted something different after owing two S-C's. I almost chose the LC500 (gorgeous) but we found both types of seat lower cushions to be hard (sport) and uncomfortable due to the angle (touring). The NA V8 albeit down on power comp'd to it's rivals, is quite special being NA these days, but the 10 speed was not as good as the BMW's 8 spd. I do like that Lexus offers a n/c brake pad update which really cuts down on the dust. There's supposed to be an LC-F version which would be something to consider but at a much steeper price point closer to an S63 coupe.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 06:42 PM   #24
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
What I don't like is that when a BMW franchisee does something/s very wrong/unethical, BMW USA just passes the buck. I have found when dealing with MBUSA over the years especially when owning their flagship vehicles they really stepped up and made the experience of owning these cars even better. The main reason I went with the M850 over another S Coupe is I wanted something different after owing two S-C's. I almost chose the LC500 (gorgeous) but we found both types of seat lower cushions to be hard (sport) and uncomfortable due to the angle (touring). The NA V8 albeit down on power comp'd to it's rivals, is quite special being NA these days, but the 10 speed was not as good as the BMW's 8 spd. I do like that Lexus offers a n/c brake pad update which really cuts down on the dust. There's supposed to be an LC-F version which would be something to consider but at a much steeper price point closer to an S63 coupe.
To your point on BMW USA and maybe even more so BMW Germany when my second order for my M850i showed up with cerenium trim there was no explanation whatsoever as to why. My SA pulled up the 2 orders and verified the only change on the 2nd order were DA ZDX to ZDA (the entire reason for the 2nd order), exterior color to Tanzanite (vs the original Davit Grey) and interior trim to carbon fiber (which was an option once the M8s hit). BMW USA was silent to the fact but thankfully the dealership completely stepped up.

I've posted elsewhere that the Lexus LC500 was on my short list but primarily discounted due to the ridiculous Infotainment package. I too think it actually is better looking than the 8 series but seat wise it was the narrowness that was an issue for me. Also, perhaps illogically I was also stuck on the sub par performance vs the M850i based on all of the reviews at the time. That said the naturally aspirated V8 has an absolute glorious sound that I could not get enough of during the test drives.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 07:00 PM   #25
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
To your point on BMW USA and maybe even more so BMW Germany when my second order for my M850i showed up with cerenium trim there was no explanation whatsoever as to why. My SA pulled up the 2 orders and verified the only change on the 2nd order were DA ZDX to ZDA (the entire reason for the 2nd order), exterior color to Tanzanite (vs the original Davit Grey) and interior trim to carbon fiber (which was an option once the M8s hit). BMW USA was silent to the fact but thankfully the dealership completely stepped up.

I've posted elsewhere that the Lexus LC500 was on my short list but primarily discounted due to the ridiculous Infotainment package. I too think it actually is better looking than the 8 series but seat wise it was the narrowness that was an issue for me. Also, perhaps illogically I was also stuck on the sub par performance vs the M850i based on all of the reviews at the time. That said the naturally aspirated V8 has an absolute glorious sound that I could not get enough of during the test drives.
We noticed that the lower cushions in the touring seats have a steep angle toward the rear vs being flat which puts extra pressure on the tailbone area, which both my wife and I noticed after a few miles or so. Many on the LC forum have also complained about seating comfort. To Lexus' credit they offer a 21" wheel option which would have been nice for the M850's helping to fill out the wheel wells especially in the rear. Yes the infotainment is a problem for sure.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 08:06 PM   #26
NOMRW8NG
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

I had a 2019 LC500 with sport package for 5 months and 5000 miles, before an idiot hit me head on and totaled the car (repair estimate was over $66K). I walked away from this with bruises from the seatbelts and a torn rotator cuff.

I thought the seats were immensely comfortable. And the interior (I had the toasted caramel color) was really special. Would have replaced it with an identical car if I could have found one in a reasonable time frame. Bought the M850i instead. It drives better and the tech is better, but I do miss the LC now and then.

(not sure why photo links aren't working)

https://xf1902.smugmug.com/7-30-19-a...pn/i-Tg4RPJd/A

https://xf1902.smugmug.com/7-30-19-a...pn/i-SCCrbTb/A

Last edited by NOMRW8NG; 02-01-2020 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: photo links not working
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 08:19 PM   #27
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMRW8NG View Post
I had a 2019 LC500 with sport package for 5 months and 5000 miles, before an idiot hit me head on and totaled the car (repair estimate was over $66K). I walked away from this with bruises from the seatbelts and a torn rotator cuff.

I thought the seats were immensely comfortable. And the interior (I had the toasted caramel color) was really special. Would have replaced it with an identical car if I could have found one in a reasonable time frame. Bought the M850i instead. It drives better and the tech is better, but I do miss the LC now and then.

(not sure why photo links aren't working)

https://xf1902.smugmug.com/7-30-19-a...pn/i-Tg4RPJd/A

https://xf1902.smugmug.com/7-30-19-a...pn/i-SCCrbTb/A
Jeez, really glad you were able to walk away, says a lot about the way these cars are built Did you notice the composite parts/bolts around the door panels? Did you have touring or sport seats? The sport seats lower cushions are flat vs touring's and we found the SS's more comfortable albeit quite a bit firmer, but liked the full semianaline leather of the tourings vs the SS's alcantara inserts due to them getting shinny and flattened over time.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 08:43 PM   #28
NOMRW8NG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Jeez, really glad you were able to walk away, says a lot about the way these cars are built Did you notice the composite parts/bolts around the door panels? Did you have touring or sport seats? The sport seats lower cushions are flat vs touring's and we found the SS's more comfortable albeit quite a bit firmer, but liked the full semianaline leather of the tourings vs the SS's alcantara inserts due to them getting shinny and flattened over time.
Thanks. Yes, those bolts had "Lexus" embossed on them 3 times. I had the sport seats with the alcantara.

One neat feature the LC had (I think other Lexus models may have it too) was the climate concierge. You set the temperature you want and it controls not only the climate system but also the seat heating or cooling and the steering wheel heat. The climate rules in the 8 that control heating or cooling are not quite as sophisticated.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 08:59 PM   #29
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Yes, those bolts had "Lexus" embossed on them 3 times. I had the sport seats with the alcantara.

One neat feature the LC had (I think other Lexus models may have it too) was the climate concierge. You set the temperature you want and it controls not only the climate system but also the seat heating or cooling and the steering wheel heat. The climate rules in the 8 that control heating or cooling are not quite as sophisticated.
As a previous LC owner and as a current 850 owner, would you consider an LC-F with 700hp at a price point of ~$180k if produced?

Appreciate 1
      02-01-2020, 09:39 PM   #30
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

As a previous LC owner and as a current 850 owner, would you consider an LC-F with 700hp at a price point of ~$180k if produced?
Quote:

Rumor on the street is $200K which is why I walked away from a better performing LC (no help with the assinine Infotainment) and pulled the trigger on the M850i.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 04:30 AM   #31
NOMRW8NG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Out of curiosity I might look at it, but I wouldn't seriously consider it. An M8 is less than that, and that kind of money also puts other cars into play, such as an Aston Martin Vantage or a 911.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 11:52 AM   #32
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Out of curiosity I might look at it, but I wouldn't seriously consider it. An M8 is less than that, and that kind of money also puts other cars into play, such as an Aston Martin Vantage or a 911.
If it does ever comes to fruition and with 700 hp it may be a better performer than the M8. I don't see a 911 as a direct competitor to the M850, different kinds of cars. I just hope all the large GT's even survive over the next few years.

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 04:15 PM   #33
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

gt

Quote:
Quote:
If it does ever comes to fruition and with 700 hp it may be a better performer than the M8. I don't see a 911 as a direct competitor to the M850, different kinds of cars. I just hope all the large GT's even survive over the next few years.
GT might survive in the form of the grand coupe. see the porshe Panamera. it's been around and still going strong. that class should do well, because most wealthy people like the option of having 4 seats with 4 doors in a luxury performance ride, even if they usually drive a true 2 seat sports car.

at least that's my opinion. although at the local country club I see a lot of bigger and bigger SUVs. honestly you can't find anything parked in the club parking lots smaller than an x5 around my area.
Appreciate 0