M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Rearview camera recall, campaign 19V-684

01-27-2020, 05:13 AM   #1
NOMRW8NG
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Rearview camera recall, campaign 19V-684

My car is a 2019 M850i xDrive coupe built 6/19. I had this recall performed last month. The software update was quite intrusive and impacted much more than just the rearview camera. Some comments and some questions:

It wiped out all of my settings, including the driver seat memory, and put everything back to factory reset. The things that came back down from the BMW Connected cloud were the radio presets, phone pairing, contacts, and destinations. None of the other settings were restored. Is there a way to back up all of the settings prior to taking the car in for service? Maybe to a USB stick? I could not find anything in the manual on that.

It overwrote the headlight coding that Ben @ RG Sport had done for me to enable antidazzle. In addition, it changed the sensitivity of the auto highbeam. Now the auto highbeam is much more sensitive, for example, to streetlights.

The high beam just does not seem to shine as far down the road as it did. Maybe some of the "laser" functionality was disabled? Not sure. I know European regulations allow for brighter headlights than in the US, so maybe some additional functionality was disabled. I had Ben re-enable the antidazzle, and it's simply not as good as it was before.

It changed how the cameras work when parking. Before, if I put the car into reverse, the rear camera came on. Shift to drive and the view would change to the front camera. And so forth ... always had the view that the car was moving in. Now, once the rear camera is activated, shifting to D does not activate the front camera and I have to touch the screen twice to get the front view. Is there a setting somewhere that controls this? Again, I could not find anything in the manual.

My conclusion is that the dealer performed not only the recall, but also a more general software update. iDrive software version now shows as 11/2019.40. I don't know what it was before the update. I wish I could just have the software put back to the way it was.

Anyone else have the recall done? What was your experience?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 10:05 AM   #2
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

that is the latest iDrive software version and the one that shipped on my M8

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 10:18 AM   #3
NOMRW8NG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
that is the latest iDrive software version and the one that shipped on my M8

Noushy
Does your camera view switch to the front when you shift from R to D?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 12:00 PM   #4
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

When I did a remote update two weeks ago it did much of the same you mentioned (mine's also a 6/19 build).

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1
JB_H9.00
      01-28-2020, 12:22 PM   #5
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMRW8NG View Post
Does your camera view switch to the front when you shift from R to D?
I still have the original software (11/18) and, because my M850ix 'vert is coded, I hope to keep that software edition, though I know the chances are slim.

As for the point in question, my camera view does not - and never did - switch every time when I shift from R to D or back again. Sometimes it does, most of the time it doesn't, and I have been utterly unable to figure out if anything beyond randomness controls this.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 05:27 PM   #6
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
I still have the original software (11/18) and, because my M850ix 'vert is coded, I hope to keep that software edition, though I know the chances are slim.

As for the point in question, my camera view does not - and never did - switch every time when I shift from R to D or back again. Sometimes it does, most of the time it doesn't, and I have been utterly unable to figure out if anything beyond randomness controls this.
I believe the update may correct this for you

Appreciate 1
      01-28-2020, 09:26 PM   #7
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
I believe the update may correct this for you
Well, that would be the good part. Blowing out my coding...not so much.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 03:54 AM   #8
NOMRW8NG
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks. Odd that yours does not behave consistently.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 09:47 AM   #9
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

same

I too had the same problems. it was part of the reason I was hesitant to code my car. The BMW update wiped out all my stuff too and even created a fault code with my seats that I had to take it back in for.

I think it's part of the update package and there is no way to avoid it. I've talked to some folks and it's a common problem. also for me, it took 4 hours and they didn't have a loaner. I should have called ahead but I didn't, and ended up waiting all day.

I think in the future I'll just wait until it's due for services and then dropp it off, knowing I'll need to re code it every time.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 10:47 AM   #10
noushy
///M Fan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
I too had the same problems. it was part of the reason I was hesitant to code my car. The BMW update wiped out all my stuff too and even created a fault code with my seats that I had to take it back in for.

I think it's part of the update package and there is no way to avoid it. I've talked to some folks and it's a common problem. also for me, it took 4 hours and they didn't have a loaner. I should have called ahead but I didn't, and ended up waiting all day.

I think in the future I'll just wait until it's due for services and then dropp it off, knowing I'll need to re code it every time.
That is terrible service. Cannot fault the dealership for what happened with the coding but to bring in a 8 series, any model for a coding and leave the customer waiting for 4 hours is unacceptable unless you agreed to that ahead of time and just wanted it done. My dealership has its own share of faults like all but that is something that never would have happened. They may have told me they were out of loaners but could take me home (as I always have an extra car) or make it work when they have a loaner or for service.

Noushy
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2020, 12:42 PM   #11
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

That's my plan. First annual service is coming up in a month or three. I'll deal with it then.

Question: Aside from the rear camera, has anyone detected any other major changes/improvements post-update?
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2020, 01:42 PM   #12
noushy
///M Fan
Rep

Quote:
That's my plan. First annual service is coming up in a month or three. I'll deal with it then.

Question: Aside from the rear camera, has anyone detected any other major changes/improvements post-update?
Sorry I have no reference as mine had that software to begin with. The cameras seem identical to our 2019 X5 with similar software and options. The only thing mine does not do as well as switch views when parking and coming up close to an object (curb stop or parking lot sign). The B7 did a much better job.

Noushy
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 02:07 PM   #13
likegadgets
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Quote:

Yes - After the update, I noticed a problem in Apple CarPlay behavior and the maps vis a vis the BMW Maps. I sometimes use waze (as little as possible). Before the upgrade, I could simply close waze on the iPhone and it would close on the iDrive Apple CarPlay, allowing me to return to the BMW Maps. Not anymore - the maps of waze (or Google or Apple) highjack the navigation until the trip is completed. A new message BMW maps cannot be display as CarPlay is active. Onlywas is switching on iDrive out of CarPlay completely.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 04:01 PM   #14
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

service

Quote:
Quote:

That is terrible service. Cannot fault the dealership for what happened with the coding but to bring in a 8 series, any model for a coding and leave the customer waiting for 4 hours is unacceptable unless you agreed to that ahead of time and just wanted it done. My dealership has its own share of faults like all but that is something that never would have happened. They may have told me they were out of loaners but could take me home (as I always have an extra car) or make it work when they have a loaner or for service.

Noushy
Noushy,
I agree it was terrible service, but it was a Friday at around 1 pm - 6 pm. still horrible, I've had better service at Nissan.

I'd complain but I don't know if anyone would care. I'm sure National would say: "so sorry" and do nothing. Local DC dealership services would and did tell me: "next time make an appointment and don't come Friday afternoon before a holiday."

As a side note my 2019 qx80 had the same backup camera problem, I dropped by the dealership and was fixed and full car wash in under 35 minutes. but the interface system isn't as complex as my 2019 BMW m850i.

~JPG
Appreciate 1
noushy1657.00
      01-30-2020, 04:03 PM   #15
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I've noted the same features update as above; and also the 3d cameras now show my car in the correct blue color instead of a default grey. also a few thing are a bit faster and I think the camera are a bit more "brighter" kinda washed out, like someone turned up the contrast to increase sunlight and whites brighter.
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2020, 06:42 PM   #16
noushy
///M Fan
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Noushy
Noushy,
I agree it was terrible service, but it was a Friday at around 1 pm - 6 pm. still horrible, I've had better service at Nissan.

I'd complain but I don't know if anyone would care. I'm sure National would say: "so sorry" and do nothing. Local DC dealership services would and did tell me: "next time make an appointment and don't come Friday afternoon before a holiday."

As a side note my 2019 qx80 had the same backup camera problem, I dropped by the dealership and was fixed and full car wash in under 35 minutes. but the interface system isn't as complex as my 2019 BMW m850i.

~JPG
You still should complain to national. It will make a difference on their CSI scores and they hate that. Trust me the next call will be from their service manager to you. The biggest impact is the post service survey! Always fill it out and if great service then all 10s and if not any other number will hurt them. Check the box that has BMW NA contact you. Hit them where it hurts or else they will never change.

Noushy
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 07:27 PM   #17
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I've reached out to BMW USA about the dealer i bought from and they love to say they will contact the dealership but the dealers are independently owned and operated and there's not much they can do beyond that (and the dealers know it). I've explained to BMW USA that I'm sure their franchise agreement expects the dealer to act in a professional and ethical way when dealing with customers...then they go silent. They do acknowledge that they will note customer concerns and if enough complaints are received it will negatively impact the dealer. In all honesty I found MBUSA to be far more accommodating when it comes to these kinds of things and if BMW USA doesn't get their act together it will be my last for a long time to come. One other thing, BMW is riding high right now surpassing MB in sales, but resting on one's laurels never works in the long run. Great car, yet poor customer service and dealership experience thus far.

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 07:48 PM   #18
NOMRW8NG
United_States
Rep

Quote:

As far as I can tell, no improvements whatsoever. Has only made things worse for me. The laser LED lights that were so good are no longer anything special. The camera gets stuck on the rear view even when you are going forward. I did not notice anything that I would consider to be an improvement.
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2020, 10:23 PM   #19
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry I have no reference as mine had that software to begin with. The cameras seem identical to our 2019 X5 with similar software and options. The only thing mine does not do as well as switch views when parking and coming up close to an object (curb stop or parking lot sign). The B7 did a much better job.

Noushy
Same experience here. My wife's 2017 X5 with optioned up 3D View always turns on and switch views when approaching an object. I've now just come to the realization I need to activate the PDC when parking the M850i and as to my post on the front splitter thread it still failed me this week by not displaying the horizontal orange bar representing the front end within the grey'd out area the cameras cannot display.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 10:34 PM   #20
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I've reached out to BMW USA about the dealer i bought from and they love to say they will contact the dealership but the dealers are independently owned and operated and there's not much they can do beyond that (and the dealers know it). I've explained to BMW USA that I'm sure their franchise agreement expects the dealer to act in a professional and ethical way when dealing with customers...then they go silent. They do acknowledge that they will note customer concerns and if enough complaints are received it will negatively impact the dealer. In all honesty I found MBUSA to be far more accommodating when it comes to these kinds of things and if BMW USA doesn't get their act together it will be my last for a long time to come. One other thing, BMW is riding high right now surpassing MB in sales, but resting on one's laurels never works in the long run. Great car, yet poor customer service and dealership experience thus far.
To Noushy's point regarding CSI everything is shifting to NPS (net promoter score) case-in-point the BMW Connected app prompts me for my rating based on it. This will crush dealerships that do not deliver customer satisfaction.

That said I am blessed that my dealer is 100% focused on customer satisfaction. Every service on my wife's X5 is a flawless experience with a dedicated BMW loaner, etc. During the cerenium eradication program they bent over backwards including delivering a loaner to me at the house and taking the M850i away. All of that was on their dime as BMW USA stepped away from the fact my order was F'up with the cerenium trim.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 01:57 PM   #21
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
To Noushy's point regarding CSI everything is shifting to NPS (net promoter score) case-in-point the BMW Connected app prompts me for my rating based on it. This will crush dealerships that do not deliver customer satisfaction.

That said I am blessed that my dealer is 100% focused on customer satisfaction. Every service on my wife's X5 is a flawless experience with a dedicated BMW loaner, etc. During the cerenium eradication program they bent over backwards including delivering a loaner to me at the house and taking the M850i away. All of that was on their dime as BMW USA stepped away from the fact my order was F'up with the cerenium trim.
Not surprising after my experience with BMW USA. The dealer I bought from is on the other coast of FL where we have another home and we are not staying there so the dealer here will be taking care of the 850, and I'm sure they'll be light years ahead of the other dealer. I also discovered not to trust google reviews as they can be bought and paid for to an extent, Yelp is a better way to go. If BMW USA doesnt get their customer service act together, this will be our last, and another S Coupe will be in the garage. Too bad, great car, terrible experience with BMW USA.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 05:48 PM   #22
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not surprising after my experience with BMW USA. The dealer I bought from is on the other coast of FL where we have another home and we are not staying there so the dealer here will be taking care of the 850, and I'm sure they'll be light years ahead of the other dealer. I also discovered not to trust google reviews as they can be bought and paid for to an extent, Yelp is a better way to go. If BMW USA doesnt get their customer service act together, this will be our last, and another S Coupe will be in the garage. Too bad, great car, terrible experience with BMW USA.
Have never owned a Mercedes so going by your experience from a customer satisfaction standpoint. My last 2 cars were both Lexus from the same dealership and I can emphatically state that Lexus dealership (not sure if parity across them all) was beyond fantastic. My BMW dealer has now delivered one loaner to the house due to the cerenium eradication program in which they 100% stepped up to resolve.

On the flip side the Lexus dealership provided the same service multiple times over the years. In fact on one occasion I dropped off the GS430 for service and they had some issues getting the parts required. I had their loaner and needed to take a last minute business trip to Chicago. Called my service adviser to let him know of the situation. He told me to keep the loaner at the house and scheduled a black car service to take me to the airport. He also coordinated with my wife to drop off the GS430 and pick up the loaner based on her schedule while I was away. Now that's total customer satisfaction!
Appreciate 0