M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion New Member Thoughts and Observations

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-23-2020, 12:36 AM   #1
Malibu-Ricky
Registered
United_States
8
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: BMW M850i Convertible
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Malibu, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
New Member Thoughts and Observations

Hi, I've really enjoyed reading all the posts on here. Not too much info about these cars. I recently got a M850i Convertible and I'm loving it. Such a great car to drive and the first car I've had in years that I look back at it when parking and walking away!

I don't want anyone to think I'm not loving the car, it's an awesome machine, but there are a few things that can be improved. Would love to hear all of your thoughts on these.

1. The piece in the trunk that allows you to either use more space in the trunk or put the top down really needs to be automated and powered. I think the Mercedes S-Class does that if I remember correctly when I test drove one. It's not fun to have to get out of the car to fold that piece down to operate the trunk. I know, first world problems.

2. What's with the single button for heating and cooling the seats? There are like 20 other buttons that I could lose that hardly get used, but often on a warm day in SoCal I like cooled seats, then at night warmed. But that requires pushing the button then going into the menu to change it from cool to heat and vice versa.

3. The storage bins in the doors go really far back, but if you put something in them, like a phone or glasses, it's really hard to fish stuff out of them when things move to the back.

4. The neck warmer is great if the top is up, but it's not powerful enough to blow warm air on your neck when the top is down. It has three levels but the highest is not very strong.

5. So it has Apple Car Play, but you can't use an iPhone for the digital key? Why? And the credit card digital key seems to work when it wants but not all the time. I took the car out one night with just the card and I could not lock the car with it. Not sure if I was doing something wrong, but I was concerned I wasn't going to be able to start the car. The card is a great idea but now I'm not using it because I feel it's not reliable.

6. Mercedes did a much better job with the electric wind deflector front and back in the S-Class. The BMW rear wind deflector works great, but again, it's manual operation in a $130k+ car seems kinda cheap and it uses up the entire back seat and prohibits the front seats from going all the way back. Also to take it out and put it in is a pain. Bad design IMHO.

7. There should be a HVAC setting that changes with top up and top down. Again I think Mercedes does this even in the E-class. Top up I want it to be like 72 degrees automatic, but when it's cold I want the heat to blast from the floor. To do that it means turning the temp all the way up, manually directing the air to the floor (seems like the high temp would activate the floor but no), and I like to turn off the A/C. Would be nice if it remembered those settings and then when the top went up it adjusted to top up settings. Seems like an easy software programming option.

8. Front seatbelts should have a little presenter like the Benz. Kind of hard to reach the belt.

Ok so you're probably saying, why didn't I just get the Benz if it's so much better? Cause it's not. The BMW is gorgeous! The S-Class which is more money is pretty boring, and the thing I hate the most about it is that from the front it's really hard to tell if it's an S-Class, E-Class, or C-Class. The rear is a bit nicer IMHO, but the front of the Benz is so boring. The 8 series is beautiful from every angle, and it handles better. It's crazy fast, sounds amazing, and I love the interior too.

I'm really happy with the automated driver assistance tech. My last car was a 2017 750i and this car has really upped the game. No need to press resume or hit the gas after it comes to an automatic stop once the cars start moving. The traffic jam assist makes traffic really easy, but it only works on freeways, I'd love it to work on regular roads, like PCH HWY 1.

The sound system is amazing (B&W) and BMW is still one of the only companies that has wireless Apple Car Play. I had this in my 2017 7 series and the thought of going back to plugging in the iPhone every time was seriously one of the reasons I wanted another BMW. Again first world problems but the technology is there, not sure why other manufacturers can't do wireless ACP.

Oh, one more thing, what's with the center display. We can choose from a useless map with no street names or I think the media display? Would be nice to have some other options, again, just software.

Ok that's it, my thoughts/rants. Anyone care to comment? Thanks
Attached Images
     

Last edited by Malibu-Ricky; 01-23-2020 at 12:50 AM.. Reason: Add photo
Appreciate 4
      01-23-2020, 09:03 AM   #2
redhot47fla
Private First Class
244
Rep
197
Posts

Drives: M850ix convertible and X4
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: North Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu-Ricky View Post

1. The piece in the trunk that allows you to either use more space in the trunk or put the top down really needs to be automated and powered. I think the Mercedes S-Class does that if I remember correctly when I test drove one. It's not fun to have to get out of the car to fold that piece down to operate the trunk. I know, first world problems.

2. What's with the single button for heating and cooling the seats? There are like 20 other buttons that I could lose that hardly get used, but often on a warm day in SoCal I like cooled seats, then at night warmed. But that requires pushing the button then going into the menu to change it from cool to heat and vice versa.

3. The storage bins in the doors go really far back, but if you put something in them, like a phone or glasses, it's really hard to fish stuff out of them when things move to the back.

4. The neck warmer is great if the top is up, but it's not powerful enough to blow warm air on your neck when the top is down. It has three levels but the highest is not very strong.

5. So it has Apple Car Play, but you can't use an iPhone for the digital key? Why? And the credit card digital key seems to work when it wants but not all the time. I took the car out one night with just the card and I could not lock the car with it. Not sure if I was doing something wrong, but I was concerned I wasn't going to be able to start the car. The card is a great idea but now I'm not using it because I feel it's not reliable.

6. Mercedes did a much better job with the electric wind deflector front and back in the S-Class. The BMW rear wind deflector works great, but again, it's manual operation in a $130k+ car seems kinda cheap and it uses up the entire back seat and prohibits the front seats from going all the way back. Also to take it out and put it in is a pain. Bad design IMHO.

7. There should be a HVAC setting that changes with top up and top down. Again I think Mercedes does this even in the E-class. Top up I want it to be like 72 degrees automatic, but when it's cold I want the heat to blast from the floor. To do that it means turning the temp all the way up, manually directing the air to the floor (seems like the high temp would activate the floor but no), and I like to turn off the A/C. Would be nice if it remembered those settings and then when the top went up it adjusted to top up settings. Seems like an easy software programming option.

8. Front seatbelts should have a little presenter like the Benz. Kind of hard to reach the belt.

Oh, one more thing, what's with the center display. We can choose from a useless map with no street names or I think the media display? Would be nice to have some other options, again, just software.

Ok that's it, my thoughts/rants. Anyone care to comment? Thanks
Hi. Your points are reasonable and worth comment. Here's my take:

1. Trunk space. I haven't found it to be a problem. I knew going in that I would have to work around that, given the nature of a convertible. As for working the shelf, I rarely bother, but to your comment of having to get out of the car to do that, I guess you mean physically retracting the shelf so the top can be stored. I just do that at the same time I'm removing whatever I placed in the temporarily "extended" trunk space.

2. Single button for seat cooling/heating. I completely agree. It is a major hassle, stupid design and dangerous insofar as adjusting it during driving requires multiple steps.

3. Door storage bins. Those storage bins do extend very deeply into the length of the door and getting stuff out of there can be difficult. OTOH, it's hard to complain about having extra storage space, imo. In my previous BMWs front-cabin storage space always seemed too sparse.

4. Agree on the relative power of the neck warmer. But I'm not really sure how much more powerful something like that could be.

5. Keys. I've dispensed with both the credit-card thing and the display key. The first is too unreliable; the second is too big. And I've found that I always had to re-invoke my personal settings every time I switched keys. Screw it. I just use the regular key. (That said, I recharge the display key regularly...just in case.)

6. Wind deflector. I immediately placed my wind deflector inside a utility closet and haven't touched it since. I've never seen the point of that thing. If I have the top down, I want the wind to blow. If it's too windy, up comes the roof.

7. HVAC system. I'm not sure, but I think I've sensed that the HVAC system does account for roof position. At least so far as fan power is concerned. But I take your point.

8. Seat belt presenter. It would be nice, but I'm not having any issues with finding mine.

9. Center display. I assume you're referring to the one directly in front of the driver. Given all the data options available for elsewhere on that screen and on the adjacent display just to the right, I'm fine with the choices available in that particular location.

I'll add one: Cup holders in the rear seat. We really could use some back there. I know, I know, but my grandkids find the back seat quite roomy enough and having even modest cup holders there would lower my blood pressure considerably.

Bottom line: I agree that it's a helluva machine. By far, the best I've ever owned. And I love your color combo. Well done.
__________________
- 2019 M850ix convertible, Dravit Grey Metallic/Ivory White Extended Merino, DAP/Drivers Assistance Pro, glass controls, neck warmer, coded by r33_RGSport
- 2016 X4 xDrive: Alpine White/Saddle Brown, M Sport, DAP/DAP Plus, Premium Package, Technology Package, HK sound, heated seats, coded by Octopump
- Retired: Three previous BMWs.

Last edited by redhot47fla; 01-23-2020 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 10:48 AM   #3
Game
Major General
Game's Avatar
United_States
828
Rep
6,995
Posts

Drives: Audi S5
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lockport/Chicago, IL

iTrader: (24)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu-Ricky View Post
Hi, I've really enjoyed reading all the posts on here. Not too much info about these cars. I recently got a M850i Convertible and I'm loving it. Such a great car to drive and the first car I've had in years that I look back at it when parking and walking away!

I don't want anyone to think I'm not loving the car, it's an awesome machine, but there are a few things that can be improved. Would love to hear all of your thoughts on these.

1. The piece in the trunk that allows you to either use more space in the trunk or put the top down really needs to be automated and powered. I think the Mercedes S-Class does that if I remember correctly when I test drove one. It's not fun to have to get out of the car to fold that piece down to operate the trunk. I know, first world problems.

2. What's with the single button for heating and cooling the seats? There are like 20 other buttons that I could lose that hardly get used, but often on a warm day in SoCal I like cooled seats, then at night warmed. But that requires pushing the button then going into the menu to change it from cool to heat and vice versa.

3. The storage bins in the doors go really far back, but if you put something in them, like a phone or glasses, it's really hard to fish stuff out of them when things move to the back.

4. The neck warmer is great if the top is up, but it's not powerful enough to blow warm air on your neck when the top is down. It has three levels but the highest is not very strong.

5. So it has Apple Car Play, but you can't use an iPhone for the digital key? Why? And the credit card digital key seems to work when it wants but not all the time. I took the car out one night with just the card and I could not lock the car with it. Not sure if I was doing something wrong, but I was concerned I wasn't going to be able to start the car. The card is a great idea but now I'm not using it because I feel it's not reliable.

6. Mercedes did a much better job with the electric wind deflector front and back in the S-Class. The BMW rear wind deflector works great, but again, it's manual operation in a $130k+ car seems kinda cheap and it uses up the entire back seat and prohibits the front seats from going all the way back. Also to take it out and put it in is a pain. Bad design IMHO.

7. There should be a HVAC setting that changes with top up and top down. Again I think Mercedes does this even in the E-class. Top up I want it to be like 72 degrees automatic, but when it's cold I want the heat to blast from the floor. To do that it means turning the temp all the way up, manually directing the air to the floor (seems like the high temp would activate the floor but no), and I like to turn off the A/C. Would be nice if it remembered those settings and then when the top went up it adjusted to top up settings. Seems like an easy software programming option.

8. Front seatbelts should have a little presenter like the Benz. Kind of hard to reach the belt.

Ok so you're probably saying, why didn't I just get the Benz if it's so much better? Cause it's not. The BMW is gorgeous! The S-Class which is more money is pretty boring, and the thing I hate the most about it is that from the front it's really hard to tell if it's an S-Class, E-Class, or C-Class. The rear is a bit nicer IMHO, but the front of the Benz is so boring. The 8 series is beautiful from every angle, and it handles better. It's crazy fast, sounds amazing, and I love the interior too.

I'm really happy with the automated driver assistance tech. My last car was a 2017 750i and this car has really upped the game. No need to press resume or hit the gas after it comes to an automatic stop once the cars start moving. The traffic jam assist makes traffic really easy, but it only works on freeways, I'd love it to work on regular roads, like PCH HWY 1.

The sound system is amazing (B&W) and BMW is still one of the only companies that has wireless Apple Car Play. I had this in my 2017 7 series and the thought of going back to plugging in the iPhone every time was seriously one of the reasons I wanted another BMW. Again first world problems but the technology is there, not sure why other manufacturers can't do wireless ACP.

Oh, one more thing, what's with the center display. We can choose from a useless map with no street names or I think the media display? Would be nice to have some other options, again, just software.

Ok that's it, my thoughts/rants. Anyone care to comment? Thanks
2. I think the one button for the seating/cooling is pretty inconvenient as well. Seems like they just wanted to condense the entire HVAC system at the expense of convenience.

5. iPhones don't have NFC technology yet. That's the fault of Apple not being up to par with Samsung tech.

8. Older Bimmers had the seat belt presenters but ending up being hit or miss and they scrapped the whole idea altogether.

And I agree with you on the center display. It's either a map, turn by turn directions or OFF. Needs improvement, which I'm sure will come as this is BMW's first attempt at it.


Great color combo and car btw.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 11:40 AM   #4
Wolfman64
Lieutenant
Wolfman64's Avatar
259
Rep
419
Posts

Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Upper Midwest

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
2. I think the one button for the seating/cooling is pretty inconvenient as well. Seems like they just wanted to condense the entire HVAC system at the expense of convenience.

5. iPhones don't have NFC technology yet. That's the fault of Apple not being up to par with Samsung tech.

8. Older Bimmers had the seat belt presenters but ending up being hit or miss and they scrapped the whole idea altogether.

And I agree with you on the center display. It's either a map, turn by turn directions or OFF. Needs improvement, which I'm sure will come as this is BMW's first attempt at it.


Great color combo and car btw.
Re. NFC: iPhones had NFC since 2014 (iPhone6). Issue was the ability for others to access it as Apple had locked it down initially for ApplePay only.
After piecemeal updates, Apple finally made the API available with IOS13.

At this point, it's actually BMW that is behind on updating their software to create digital keys for the iPhone.

Hoping for this to happen soon. At least the tools are there to do it...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 01:22 PM   #5
Game
Major General
Game's Avatar
United_States
828
Rep
6,995
Posts

Drives: Audi S5
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lockport/Chicago, IL

iTrader: (24)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Re. NFC: iPhones had NFC since 2014 (iPhone6). Issue was the ability for others to access it as Apple had locked it down initially for ApplePay only.
After piecemeal updates, Apple finally made the API available with IOS13.

At this point, it's actually BMW that is behind on updating their software to create digital keys for the iPhone.

Hoping for this to happen soon. At least the tools are there to do it...
Ahh you're right...how else would wireless charging work.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 02:08 PM   #6
cfm56d7b
Major General
United_States
2043
Rep
5,385
Posts

Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (2)

Great car, especially the choice of interior color. Congratulations!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 02:53 PM   #7
Resjudicata
Captain
United_States
308
Rep
795
Posts

Drives: M850i convertible
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Dulles Virginia

iTrader: (0)

add on

I agree with the above comments. I also have the m850i convertible. I have a lot of the same issues, but coding works around some them.

Without internally coding: there is a setting in the idrive for "auto" heat and cool. [I forget exactly what it's called, but it's in there near preconditions settings]
and it will AUTOMATICALLY adjust the heat and cooling. you can set it based on the OUTSIDE temperature and it's going to adjust the heating and cooling, and the Seats warmers.

with coding, I think they programmed my remote to open and close the trunk and stuff. but it all got wiped when they did the recent software update. so I need to get it all re-coded soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 09:20 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Captain
650
Rep
795
Posts

Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Gorgeous car and love the color combo but full disclosure is I'm partial to Fiona Red/Black for the interior and had Dravit Grey on my first botched M850i Coupe order but landed with Tanzanite blue for the exterior on the final fully executed order. Enjoy the drive!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 09:28 PM   #9
bloozemanAZ
Captain
650
Rep
795
Posts

Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Re. NFC: iPhones had NFC since 2014 (iPhone6). Issue was the ability for others to access it as Apple had locked it down initially for ApplePay only.
After piecemeal updates, Apple finally made the API available with IOS13.

At this point, it's actually BMW that is behind on updating their software to create digital keys for the iPhone.

Hoping for this to happen soon. At least the tools are there to do it...
I'll go one further on this as Google's legacy Nexus and current Pixels (I've been through several and now have a Pixel 3 XL) also support NFC. So why just Samsung? To me is smells like a behind the scenes joint go to market solution between BMW and Samsung. Happens all the time and have first hand knowledge of numerous examples from my High Tech manufacturing gigs over the years.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 06:42 PM   #10
Ozzie8
First Lieutenant
Ozzie8's Avatar
Australia
343
Rep
337
Posts

Drives: 2019 m850i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Malibu-Ricky congratulations on your beautiful new car! Great selections. Welcome to the forum and thanks for you first post, keep them coming!

When I got my new 8 I did some posts on my top likes and top dislikes, just scroll through a few of the forum screens if you are interested.

On the heating/cooling in the seats, I agree with Resjudicata using the auto on settings for heating or cooling is a great new feature!! That is what I use and it has a fairly wide temperature range tolerance. The feature I really miss is the little physical temperature wheel next to vents to shift from cold to slightly warmer air.

For storage there are bulk storage spaces, personally I would like to see a few more smaller spaces for things like remote controls as I have three in my car across home/work (integrated garage remote not an option in Australia).

The credit card is obsolete with NFC and we can blame Apple for the lack of availability. They are incredibly secretive and I am sure BMW have had to wait like everyone else.

The lack of the seat belt assist is becoming my number 1 irritant. Perhaps this will be part of the 8 refresh mid cycle?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 07:39 PM   #11
noushy
///M Fan
noushy's Avatar
United_States
673
Rep
1,087
Posts

Drives: X3M Competition, M8 Competitio
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Orchard Lake, Mi

iTrader: (1)

BTW I agree with you on 2,5, and 8. Especially reaching back for the seat belt. I am used to the heated seat button because thats all I usually use. I guess its the little things that BMW didn't sweat out as mich as say MB or Audi or Lexus. But the vehicle dynamics and rigidity are 2nd to none and the interior although not super flashy is high quality with minimal to no plastic.

Noushy
__________________
2019 BMW X5 50i Mineral White/Tartufo all options including M Sport
2020 BMW X3M Comp Dark Graphite/Black/Midrand Beige, full ALP laser/radar
2020 BMW X5M Comp Marina Bay Blue/Black, ALP laser/radar planned
2020 BMW M8 Comp Marina Bay Blue/Black/Midrand Beige/Alcantara, full ALP laser/radar
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2020, 08:27 PM   #12
bloozemanAZ
Captain
650
Rep
795
Posts

Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
BTW I agree with you on 2,5, and 8. Especially reaching back for the seat belt. I am used to the heated seat button because thats all I usually use. I guess its the little things that BMW didn't sweat out as mich as say MB or Audi or Lexus. But the vehicle dynamics and rigidity are 2nd to none and the interior although not super flashy is high quality with minimal to no plastic.

Noushy
Totally agree on the little things as coming from a Lexus GS430 the LC 500 was on my shortlist. Interior wise an easy notch up from the M850i and so many aspects of the car are so well designed, e.g., the aka comfort aspect (standard in Lexus since 2006) with the LC 500 when it senses the key getting close the recessed door handle will pop out.

Styling wise (although controversial to some) I'd once again give it the thumbs up over the 8 series. The naturally aspirated V8 has a sound that is simply stellar and I could not get enough of it during several test drives. The Mark Levinson audio just like the one in my GS430 is top notch for a car audio system and was a notch up from my FLAC audio shoot out between it and the B&W in the M850i.

The downfall of the LC 500 came in two factors for me with one being the trump card. The lesser of the two were the fact that the front seats are so narrow even I did not feel fully comfortable in the driver seat. My wife commented on that as well (she was in the passenger seat on one test drive) and neither of us are wide per se and in fact I'm considered skinny at 6'6" and 215 pounds.

The killer though was the Infotainment aspect. If somebody asked me 10 years ago whether that would be a factor in a car purchase I would have laughed. However, the system is so bad in comparison to iDrive it sealed the deal on scratching the car off the shortlist. Irony is as a long time Car and Driver reader I remember when BMW first released the iDrive they bitched and complained about it endlessly. However, two decades of refinement put it at the top of the class along with Audi (based on my test drives) but the M850i won out over the RS5 and S7 (the RS7 wasn't available yet to test).

From a driving perspective the M850i won from both performance and feel over the LC 500, RS5 and S7. The Audi's were great with the Lexus being the lesser in the camp. I smile every time I just look at the M850i in the garage and 10x more so when I'm behind the wheel so I know I made the right choice for my needs.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 01-25-2020 at 12:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8342.50

      01-24-2020, 10:42 PM   #13
RJC-1
Lieutenant
RJC-1's Avatar
257
Rep
522
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW M850
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: SE US

iTrader: (0)

Congrats on your new 850.

Coming out of two C217 S550 coupes over the last few years I can objectively say they offer more, but like anything else it costs. I do miss the standard acoustic glass, awesome massaging seats, pillarless design, auto seat belt extenders, perforated wheel, auto dimming psngr side mirror (why don't M/850's have this again and when so many lesser do?), air suspension with front lift, and some of the optional features that are n/a on the 8's. The M850's on the other hand have a superior powertrain and more aggressive looks. For me, I wanted something different, yet similar (another large German GT coupe) and the M850 did it for me. These cars do have one other thing in common, horrific brake dust, MB and BMW need to follow Audi's and other's leads using pads with more ceramic, which for ordinary, even spirited driving work great.
__________________
2019 M850i xDrive Coupe 06/19 Production
Mineral White/Black, HP Cooling/Tire/M-Technology Pkg/Extended Shadow/Etc., Anthracite Headliner, Carbon Roof, DAx2, Display Key, Various Accs.
Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible

Last edited by RJC-1; 01-25-2020 at 12:05 AM.. Reason: clarify psngr side
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 11:30 PM   #14
bloozemanAZ
Captain
650
Rep
795
Posts

Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Congrats on your new 850.

Coming out of two C217 S550 coupes over the last few years I can objectively say they offer more, but like anything else it costs. I do miss the standard acoustic glass, awesome massaging seats, pillarless design, auto seat belt extenders, auto dimming side mirror (why don't M/850's have this again and when so many lesser do?), air suspension with front lift, and some of the optional features that are n/a on the 8's. The M850's on the other hand have a superior powertrain and more aggressive looks. For me, I wanted something different, yet similar (another large German GT coupe) and the M850 did it for me. These cars do have one other thing in common, horrific brake dust, MB and BMW need to follow Audi's and other's leads using pads with more ceramic, which for ordinary, even spirited driving work great.
I haven't noticed yet the lack of auto dimming side mirrors but to your point at this price point it should be standard equipment. Was on my exiting 2006 Lexus GS 430 (yes I keep cars for 10 years plus as they are depreciating assets and invest my $ elsewhere).
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 11:39 PM   #15
RJC-1
Lieutenant
RJC-1's Avatar
257
Rep
522
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW M850
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: SE US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
I haven't noticed yet the lack of auto dimming side mirrors but to your point at this price point it should be standard equipment. Was on my exiting 2006 Lexus GS 430 (yes I keep cars for 10 years plus as they are depreciating assets and invest my $ elsewhere).
It's not on the psngr side, poor place to cost cut, even our daily beater XTS has it.
__________________
2019 M850i xDrive Coupe 06/19 Production
Mineral White/Black, HP Cooling/Tire/M-Technology Pkg/Extended Shadow/Etc., Anthracite Headliner, Carbon Roof, DAx2, Display Key, Various Accs.
Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 08:31 AM   #16
Dr.T
New Member
9
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: M850i
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

As mentioned, Apple has NFC but it’s locked to ApplePay for security. And maybe the same reason we don’t have Android Auto.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 08:48 AM   #17
bloozemanAZ
Captain
650
Rep
795
Posts

Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.T View Post
As mentioned, Apple has NFC but itís locked to ApplePay for security. And maybe the same reason we donít have Android Auto.
Interesting observation on Apple's NFC being locked to ApplePay from a security perspective as that would indeed make it impossible for BMW to enable the digital key against it without a significant partnership with Apple.

Good news on Android auto is all models with iDrive 7 will be getting it this summer!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 AM.




m8
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST