M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos How to track down an old car? Only have license plate from 80s

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-14-2019, 04:56 PM   #1
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
Fritzer's Avatar
No_Country
377
Rep
872
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 328i
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: San Diego, California

iTrader: (3)

How to track down an old car? Only have license plate from 80s

Long story short, my grandfather was a stunt driver for Hollywood from the 60s to the 90s. Unfortunately, due to estrangement, I only met him a handful of times before he passed away in my youth. He was a huge car enthusiast, owned many Porsches and BMWs throughout his life.

I was looking through some very old polaroid and developed photos, and found a photo of a Red 930 Carrera, with him and my great-grandmother in the foreground. I can clearly make out the entire 7 digits of the California license plate. The photo is dated in the 80s.

Is there any way I could try and locate the VIN number, or try and find out what has happened to that particular vehicle? I would like to purchase it eventually, and restore it to new condition.

Thank you.
__________________
LOOKING TO BUY: N52 Euro Airbox, any "BMW Performance" parts from E90 era, any E90 Autotecknic carbon fiber pieces. Private message me on here.

Appreciate 1
      08-14-2019, 05:04 PM   #2
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
Canada
6170
Rep
1,975
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Niagara on the Lake

iTrader: (0)

Depending on the California DMV data base, they should be able to trace the plate history to VIN's. I don't know if there would be any privacy issues and how much it might cost. I know here in Ontario it can be done, but I'd suggest you contact them and ask.
Appreciate 3
MKSixer23072.50
Fritzer377.00
clee1982668.00

      08-14-2019, 05:05 PM   #3
MKSixer
Major General
MKSixer's Avatar
23073
Rep
9,666
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzer View Post
Long story short, my grandfather was a stunt driver for Hollywood from the 60s to the 90s. Unfortunately, due to estrangement, I only met him a handful of times before he passed away in my youth. He was a huge car enthusiast, owned many Porsches and BMWs throughout his life.

I was looking through some very old polaroid and developed photos, and found a photo of a Red 930 Carrera, with him and my great-grandmother in the foreground. I can clearly make out the entire 7 digits of the California license plate. The photo is dated in the 80s.

Is there any way I could try and locate the VIN number, or try and find out what has happened to that particular vehicle? I would like to purchase it eventually, and restore it to new condition.

Thank you.
I'd start at the DMV and speak to old friends and, if possible, find his old insurance company.

Good luck in your search.
Cheers-MK
__________________
Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...

Lewi6, First of His Name, Destroyer of Careers, Master of Pole Positions, 6X WDC, Master of All Tracks, Scorer of Maximum Points, Whisperer of Tires, Minimizer of Fuel Utilization, Maximizer of Consistency in Finishing. Look Upon Him With DRED.
Appreciate 2
      08-14-2019, 05:30 PM   #4
infinitekidM2C
Major General
infinitekidM2C's Avatar
United_States
1869
Rep
5,092
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2 Competition
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Whoever your avatar is surely can help you find it on the black market. He looks like a dude who can get stuff done.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer23072.50
Rmtt7079.00

      08-14-2019, 05:41 PM   #5
MKSixer
Major General
MKSixer's Avatar
23073
Rep
9,666
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
Whoever your avatar is surely can help you find it on the black market. He looks like a dude who can get stuff done.
That dude combined with the dude in my avatar can get pretty much anything done!!
__________________
Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...

Lewi6, First of His Name, Destroyer of Careers, Master of Pole Positions, 6X WDC, Master of All Tracks, Scorer of Maximum Points, Whisperer of Tires, Minimizer of Fuel Utilization, Maximizer of Consistency in Finishing. Look Upon Him With DRED.
Appreciate 3
Rmtt7079.00
clee1982668.00

      08-14-2019, 05:49 PM   #6
m630
Captain
m630's Avatar
563
Rep
872
Posts

Drives: '19 X2 M35i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: nyc/li

iTrader: (0)

Good story wish you luck on your search..of course you may be aware though that a 930 from that error is quite valuable and collectable so it may not be realistic to acquire that exact car, but will be an interesting story if you do! Good luck
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 06:13 PM   #7
hubbahubba
Lieutenant
United_States
954
Rep
554
Posts

Drives: M340i
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Az

iTrader: (0)

I have no further ideas than what has already been thrown out, just wanted to say that would be very cool if you found it! If you do, please check back in.
Appreciate 1
Fritzer377.00

      08-14-2019, 06:13 PM   #8
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
Fritzer's Avatar
No_Country
377
Rep
872
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 328i
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: San Diego, California

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
Good story wish you luck on your search..of course you may be aware though that a 930 from that error is quite valuable and collectable so it may not be realistic to acquire that exact car, but will be an interesting story if you do! Good luck
Thanks for the well wishes. And yes, I am aware about the current valuation of 930s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
Whoever your avatar is surely can help you find it on the black market. He looks like a dude who can get stuff done.
That's me, I took the photo the other night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
That dude combined with the dude in my avatar can get pretty much anything done!!
If I had Connery's 6538, I'd be able to get anything done too!
__________________
LOOKING TO BUY: N52 Euro Airbox, any "BMW Performance" parts from E90 era, any E90 Autotecknic carbon fiber pieces. Private message me on here.

Appreciate 1
MKSixer23072.50

      08-14-2019, 06:14 PM   #9
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
Fritzer's Avatar
No_Country
377
Rep
872
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 328i
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: San Diego, California

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubba View Post
I have no further ideas than what has already been thrown out, just wanted to say that would be very cool if you found it! If you do, please check back in.
Yep, currently on hold with the DMV to ask questions, forgot that you could call a special number and actually talk to a human for once.
__________________
LOOKING TO BUY: N52 Euro Airbox, any "BMW Performance" parts from E90 era, any E90 Autotecknic carbon fiber pieces. Private message me on here.

Appreciate 1
      08-14-2019, 06:20 PM   #10
Darth One
drunk poster
Darth One's Avatar
United_States
3628
Rep
2,793
Posts

Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Hopefully it hasn’t been ruined by Gemballa or RWB or any of those guys
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 08:07 AM   #11
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
Canada
6170
Rep
1,975
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Niagara on the Lake

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzer View Post
Yep, currently on hold with the DMV to ask questions, forgot that you could call a special number and actually talk to a human for once.
Could you post the pic that you're working from.....not that it'd help but would be cool to see.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 AM.




m8
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST