M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Any 2014+ Range Rover Sport owners?

04-09-2018, 03:19 PM   #23
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Two kids would be approaching capacity, but I can already fit the Burley, a BOB and a 29er front wheel in the trunk of the VW, so what more would I need?

My sister needed a Suburban to get two kids around and "downsized" to a full size Range Rover when they left the house. So I know people have wildly different views of what's big and what's not, but a Macan is absolutely not too small for kid duty unless you're a family of ridiculously tall sumo wrestlers.
Strollers and child safety seats eat a shit ton of space.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 03:19 PM   #24
Performancedieselpros
Banned
Rep
Drives: X6 m

Quote:
Two kids would be approaching capacity, but I can already fit the Burley, a BOB and a 29er front wheel in the trunk of the VW, so what more would I need?

My sister needed a Suburban to get two kids around and "downsized" to a full size Range Rover when they left the house. So I know people have wildly different views of what's big and what's not, but a Macan is absolutely not too small for kid duty unless you're a family of ridiculously tall sumo wrestlers.
BOB strollers are the devil as far as I'm concerned lol!

Had a BOB evolution X and hated than obnoxious POS to the 10th degree!

Only good thing is it held resale value.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 03:20 PM   #25
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 ZCP M3

My mom has one. Car feels outdated. Navi, reverse camera, all of it.
      04-09-2018, 03:21 PM   #26
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Performancedieselpros View Post
Quote:

BOB strollers are the devil as far as I'm concerned lol!

Had a BOB evolution X and hated than obnoxious POS to the 10th degree!

Only good thing is it held resale value.
Haha, they are the Jeep Wrangler of strollers. Buy, use, sell for what you paid for it.

I like mine, but between it and a dog, I'm pretty good at sewing now. The lower storage thing seems to self destruct if actually used for storage.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 03:26 PM   #27
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Quote:

Strollers and child safety seats eat a shit ton of space.
Agreed, but Diono seats are great. Since swapping from the monster Chicco thing, it's easy to toss two adults beside my kid in the middle for across town trips in the GTI. I wouldn't want to make a five hour drive like that, of course.

We tend to deal with one parent at a time, so even a second Diono wouldn't totally grenade that.

But of course, if we were carrying adults around more frequently, a larger car would be nice. That's just not where we are. It's the three of us, a dog and the kids arsenal of supporting gear.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 03:34 PM   #28
Performancedieselpros
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Haha, they are the Jeep Wrangler of strollers. Buy, use, sell for what you paid for it.

I like mine, but between it and a dog, I'm pretty good at sewing now. The lower storage thing seems to self destruct if actually used for storage.
Also with the 29'er tire.... I've got a Jamis 29 and that only rides in the truck bed Lol, assembly and reassembly optional!

Which reminds me.....

29'ers with a pull behind kid hauler makes for one hell of a leg day lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 03:36 PM   #29
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Performancedieselpros View Post
Quote:

Also with the 29'er tire.... I've got a Jamis 29 and that only rides in the truck bed Lol, assembly and reassembly optional!

Which reminds me.....

29'ers with a pull behind kid hauler makes for one hell of a leg day lol.
Mine's a single speed hard tail. Adds to the leg workout. I also use a track bike to pull around, which really gets interesting. Fixie slides and a trailer, good fun.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 04:04 PM   #30
Performancedieselpros
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Mine's a single speed hard tail. Adds to the leg workout. I also use a track bike to pull around, which really gets interesting. Fixie slides and a trailer, good fun.
Yikes!

I'll keep my 27 speed Lol.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00
      04-09-2018, 11:45 PM   #31
Presice
Private
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

I drive one regularly. I'm not a fan. I'm like the looks inside and out but I don't like the driving dynamics. Steering is fine, but I've never gotten used to the throttle response and braking. Infotainment is slow and the base sound system is bad (although I think the newer models have the updated infotainment from JLR). Also, it's not the most reliable vehicle. The car's had some pretty weird issues and service is expensive.

If I liked how it drove and didn't care about infotainment, I think I could overlook the questionable reliability. The F-pace drives 100x better to me, but the interior materials on Jaguar's products leave a lot to be desired.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 08:19 AM   #32
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Agreed, but Diono seats are great. Since swapping from the monster Chicco thing, it's easy to toss two adults beside my kid in the middle for across town trips in the GTI. I wouldn't want to make a five hour drive like that, of course.

We tend to deal with one parent at a time, so even a second Diono wouldn't totally grenade that.
Diono are Ok if the kid is 20 pounds, people putting infants in those seats should be arrested. No fucking way they are any good in a crash for infants, i don't give a shit what the wrapper says.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 08:23 AM   #33
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Diono are Ok if the kid is 20 pounds, people putting infants in those seats should be arrested. No fucking way they are any good in a crash for infants, i don't give a shit what the wrapper says.
Yeah, all that testing is rubbish. Why trust engineers and tests?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 09:05 AM   #34
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Yeah, it is absolute rubbish. The seat says infant to booster basically, no freaking way an infant should be in that seat. They sit too high, too exposed, no support .... ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 09:47 AM   #35
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, it is absolute rubbish. The seat says infant to booster basically, no freaking way an infant should be in that seat. They sit too high, too exposed, no support .... ridiculous.
Are you basing on the way it looks or actual knowledge? Tests show the steel framed Dionos to always be in the top five and frequently first in testing.

I have a number of friends who are first responders and they're split between these and Recaros. I'll take the advice of folks who see real life results over someone who thinks the seat looks funny.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 10:18 AM   #36
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

I am talking this seat

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/diono-r...RoCAUAQAvD_BwE

Supposed to go from infant to 50 pounder and no way does an infant sit correctly in this seat.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 10:32 AM   #37
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am talking this seat

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/diono-r...RoCAUAQAvD_BwE

Supposed to go from infant to 50 pounder and no way does an infant sit correctly in this seat.
We've certainly derailed this poor thread, but just to keep playing, that's an older model, but here's a stock photo of it. What's your issue here?
[IMG]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1niNyTQf0L.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 10:36 AM   #38
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

And for the record, they convert to a booster and go up to 120#. Commence the freak out.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 10:54 AM   #39
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
Tesla Model X could work for you
Plenty of space, speed and fun
Good reliability for anything late MY 2016+

P.S. 4 small kids here. Orbit baby G3 stroller always in the front trunk. Costco shopping goes into the rear trunk
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 12:47 PM   #40
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
LOL who worries about what badge is on something if they like it? I went from a BMW to a Chevy...Corvette. I feel so horrible.
It's not about the badge it's about the product.

Styling, driving dynamics, interior material and build quality, overall solidity of construction, etc.

Mazda makes a good car but it competes with the level of VW and Honda not BMW. That Chevy comparison makes zero sense as Mazda does not make anything remotely exotic like the Corvette.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 01:40 PM   #41
Mardio
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

What about an Acura RDX or MDX? If your worried about reliability Acuras have a pretty solid reputation.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 06:56 AM   #42
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
It's not about the badge it's about the product.

Styling, driving dynamics, interior material and build quality, overall solidity of construction, etc.

Mazda makes a good car but it competes with the level of VW and Honda not BMW. That Chevy comparison makes zero sense as Mazda does not make anything remotely exotic like the Corvette.
Where did I compare Mazda to Corvette? lol

You guys & your BMW blinders
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 10:12 PM   #43
godmans
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i / 335i / X6M

Middle ground and a great entry luxury option: gen3 MDX.

Or I am biased: stick with the X5/6Ms!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 10:09 AM   #44
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

I haven't looked at Acura since like high school

I dont even know what they make, but I doubt I will like any of it. Everything they make I think basically gets you from point A to B with some luxury tech inside. I am looking for something that has some character. RRS = looks Macan = performance.
Cant say I completely dont care about badge, I mean its nice to have RR or P-car. But I drove Honda S2k for 5 years and was a proud owner
Appreciate 0