M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Race Chip

01-19-2020, 08:16 PM   #1
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

Race Chip

Had Austin @ race chip fly in from florida to do some data logging and create a tune and install my race chip. Big thanks to Ben @ RG sport for make this all happen. So race chip is pretty much a piggy back that now offers a $7500 warranty if there are any issues with the tune. Although $7500 might not cover much what this means to me is the company stands behind the product. I was told that warranty amount will increase in the near future.

I wasn’t sure about running a tune on the m8. Everyone of my other cars are tuned but felt the m8 was more than fast and didn’t really think I needed it. I figured the moderate tune from the piggy back should be sufficient.

What I did not know was that Race chip just didn’t send a guy down to data log and create a new product for the m8 but create a custom tune for my car. This is not a full ecu retune but many parameters can be adjusted. I already had my gamma intakes and gamma lower Downpipe’s. I ended up getting a custom one off tune for the mods I already had. Install took 15 mins. The custom tune is not something race chip normally offers yet. Maybe in the future

Well I can tell you my car is something else now. Pulls so hard and endless power. I am more than happy with the tune and unit. It now has Bluetooth capabilities and you can switch your tune on your app. Super easy to change on the fly

If anybody is looking for more take a look at the race chip module. The m8 should be listed on their website on Monday
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
r33_RGSport12912.50
subzero05115.50
      01-19-2020, 08:20 PM   #2
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

Nice! I have it on the X3Mc and love it. Probably will do it for the M8. My plan is to add an intake and exhaust. Have Ben keep me in mind and I will get it from him instead of direct. Also see if anyone is making a CF front lip and what is the deal with the M Performance exhaust.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12912.50
mgod483.50
      01-19-2020, 08:44 PM   #3
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
Had Austin @ race chip fly in from florida to do some data logging and create a tune and install my race chip. Big thanks to Ben @ RG sport for make this all happen. So race chip is pretty much a piggy back that now offers a $7500 warranty if there are any issues with the tune. Although $7500 might not cover much what this means to me is the company stands behind the product. I was told that warranty amount will increase in the near future.

I wasn’t sure about running a tune on the m8. Everyone of my other cars are tuned but felt the m8 was more than fast and didn’t really think I needed it. I figured the moderate tune from the piggy back should be sufficient.

What I did not know was that Race chip just didn’t send a guy down to data log and create a new product for the m8 but create a custom tune for my car. This is not a full ecu retune but many parameters can be adjusted. I already had my gamma intakes and gamma lower Downpipe’s. I ended up getting a custom one off tune for the mods I already had. Install took 15 mins. The custom tune is not something race chip normally offers yet. Maybe in the future

Well I can tell you my car is something else now. Pulls so hard and endless power. I am more than happy with the tune and unit. It now has Bluetooth capabilities and you can switch your tune on your app. Super easy to change on the fly

If anybody is looking for more take a look at the race chip module. The m8 should be listed on their website on Monday
Thank you Ehloo , your help will help the community too.

noushy , I am just a PM away.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 09:12 PM   #4
Ehloo
Captain
Rep

The company j am talking too is making a front lip but it will sit on top of the bumper and make the front look like a m2c bumper. Not a bad design as it changes the front without making the car any lower. Haven’t heard anything about the m performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
Nice! I have it on the X3Mc and love it. Probably will do it for the M8. My plan is to add an intake and exhaust. Have Ben keep me in mind and I will get it from him instead of direct. Also see if anyone is making a CF front lip and what is the deal with the M Performance exhaust.

Noushy
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12912.50
      01-19-2020, 10:07 PM   #5
mgod
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw m4 csl 992 turbo S

Garage List
Quote:

Noushy
I'm soo fucken pissed bmw taking forever to come with the damn exhaust, i was about to cut my old m5 performance to fit the m8 but I was like f it I want everything to fit perfect
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 12:11 AM   #6
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgod View Post
I'm soo fucken pissed bmw taking forever to come with the damn exhaust, i was about to cut my old m5 performance to fit the m8 but I was like f it I want everything to fit perfect
Probably the 'fault' of Akra as they'll be the manufacturer I'd think. The link currently says will be available soon.

http://www.akrapovic.com/en/car/prod...9&modelId=1073
      01-20-2020, 01:09 AM   #7
Slayerkillhate
Private First Class
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M8

Congratulations!
Insterested in some draggy stats etc

I go with st2 very soon also. Car absolutely need exhaust to fill full of it
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 07:47 AM   #8
hilsman
Private
Rep
Drives: F90 Competition

Would have thought the race chip tune for m8 would be same as m5?? Same engine,trans and drivetrain.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 09:14 AM   #9
Ehloo
Captain
Rep

Well everything is trial and error. One might think it’s the same but without datalogging you wouldn’t know for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsman View Post
Would have thought the race chip tune for m8 would be same as m5?? Same engine,trans and drivetrain.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 09:22 AM   #10
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's what a lot of other company assumes and uses you as the beta tester.
While RaceChip, we do the datalog for confirmation and fix it as needed.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 10:30 AM   #11
hilsman
Private
Rep
Drives: F90 Competition

However, in this case we're not comparing apples to apples. Intake and downpipes vs stock would undoubtedly change the data log results compared to stock. Would logically think(since same engine and tune) that the racechip for 2018 and forward M5's would be applicable to M8. I would hope that race chip's "new" M8 tune is not this M8 comp with intake and downpipes tune!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 11:51 AM   #12
Ehloo
Captain
Rep

Of course they wouldn’t Release the one off tune from ride to the market. Whether the m5 and m8 tunes are the same I won’t know. I am sure they are prob very similar

All I can say I spin tires in 4 wheel sport no launch

Quote:
However, in this case we're not comparing apples to apples. Intake and downpipes vs stock would undoubtedly change the data log results compared to stock. Would logically think(since same engine and tune) that the racechip for 2018 and forward M5's would be applicable to M8. I would hope that race chip's "new" M8 tune is not this M8 comp with intake and downpipes tune!
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12912.50
      01-20-2020, 01:21 PM   #13
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Love what you do and eager to see some draggy, etc. results.
Am on the fence however as the car is leased and have been following the thread on the F90 M5 forum...
https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1626863

So am a bit gun shy. The platform is much more tunable than the AMG's, but those engine are pretty unbreakable. Mercedes also black listing more cars preemptively just upon a tune detection.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 06:32 PM   #14
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Am on the fence however as the car is leased and have been following the thread on the F90 M5 forum...

So am a bit gun shy. The platform is much more tunable than the AMG's, but those engine are pretty unbreakable. Mercedes also black listing more cars preemptively just upon a tune detection.
Just read through the thread and wow! Beyond the OP's issue and updates the 9 pages are all over the board with comments stating the obvious, i.e., caveat emptor for all those that mod, racist comments on the shop he had rebuild the motor and wishful thinking of a legal lawsuit against BMW for denying warranty on a modded car.

That said I too am on the fence and will likely only mod after the warranty is out. Full disclosure is that I'm a bit conservative when it comes to warranties as in my day job I have dealt with more lawsuits than I can count in regards to software modifications vs the OEM delivered product. Microsoft calls it software assurance, Oracle calls it their license and services agreement, etc. but end of day modify at your own peril (aka caveat emptor).
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 09:24 AM   #15
subzero05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335

nice to see a company willing to fly across country to create a tune and support the BMW community like that.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12912.50
      01-21-2020, 03:40 PM   #16
Ehloo
Captain
Rep

Was actually chatting with the Op who blew his engine. He wasn’t really mad about the situation as he knew the risk. He is still tuning his others cars with DME

The race chip is a mild and conversative tune. Not much boost is added and to be honest you really don’t need much more. The chassis is extremely quick. I started with race chip on all my cars but always wanted more. I feel the m8 with race chip is more than plenty. But let’s see how that goes in a few months.
I would prob go bootmod if they finally release something.
I ended up with their tunes and everything has been great

The app control is nice. They have a race, sport and eco mode. You flip tunes within seconds. Perfect if you have to valet your car one day. Turn it to eco mode and have some piece of mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post

Appreciate 3
noushy1657.00
Wolfman64811.50
r33_RGSport12912.50
      01-21-2020, 05:36 PM   #17
noushy
///M Fan
Rep

I have it on the X3Mc and the best part is eco is tolerable with better throttle response. On setting 5 which I think is race and in sport plus throttle it is a rocket, able to break all 4 wheels loose easily especially of the line. Honestly not much need for more power as the chassis will really be taxed,

On the M8 the throttle response in comfort is tolerable but in sport or sport plus its not where near as quick response as the S58. Curious if race chip fixes that (ie faster sharper). Again stock it has more than enough power to get you into trouble everywhere. I keep looking in my rear view for flashing lights.

Noushy
Appreciate 3
Al Pină1839.50
r33_RGSport12912.50
      01-22-2020, 08:01 AM   #18
subzero05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335

Quote:
I have it on the X3Mc and the best part is eco is tolerable with better throttle response. On setting 5 which I think is race and in sport plus throttle it is a rocket, able to break all 4 wheels loose easily especially of the line. Honestly not much need for more power as the chassis will really be taxed,

On the M8 the throttle response in comfort is tolerable but in sport or sport plus its not where near as quick response as the S58. Curious if race chip fixes that (ie faster sharper). Again stock it has more than enough power to get you into trouble everywhere. I keep looking in my rear view for flashing lights.

Noushy
guessing RGsport can chime in and answer that one.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12912.50
      01-22-2020, 09:14 AM   #19
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero05 View Post
Quote:

Noushy
guessing RGsport can chime in and answer that one.
That's mainly the difference between V8 and Inline6 motor.

Inline6 tend to be more responsive on the lower end. While V8 is somewhat heavy on the low end.

RaceChip GTS Black will improve it, but RaceChip XLR will help most since it will adjust the throttle pedal mapping. It has 7 adjustment.

And if you get both the GTS Black and XLR with App, you can set up your own combination.
For example:
Sport mode in the App = Map 5 on GTS Black / Sport+ on XLR.
Or Eco mode in the App = Map 3 on GTS Black / Eco+ on XLR. (This setup can be used as a valet mode, because the throttle and engine will be really sluggish).
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 08:44 AM   #20
noushy
///M Fan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post

Inline6 tend to be more responsive on the lower end. While V8 is somewhat heavy on the low end.

RaceChip GTS Black will improve it, but RaceChip XLR will help most since it will adjust the throttle pedal mapping. It has 7 adjustment.

And if you get both the GTS Black and XLR with App, you can set up your own combination.
For example:
Or Eco mode in the App = Map 3 on GTS Black / Eco+ on XLR. (This setup can be used as a valet mode, because the throttle and engine will be really sluggish).
So my racechip and filters are installed and the throttle response in sport and sport plus are sharper. Then again the car also had its break in service and reprogram and I suspect that has an affect as well. Hard to really notice the power gains since (1) I have snow tires and its winter time (2) I did not have much time with the car before the mods. I suspect it will get faster as the unit learns because that is what I noticed in the X3Mc and by 10000 miles it really became a rocket ship. Also I probably will do an exhaust either M Performance or Akrapovic and maybe DPs but I am not sure I want to do catless. I like the Keller Motorsports ones, really sharp looking with first rate construction but I think they are catless. Will see what Ben comes up with in the future

Noushy
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12912.50
      02-04-2020, 09:49 AM   #21
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post

For example:
So my racechip and filters are installed and the throttle response in sport and sport plus are sharper. Then again the car also had its break in service and reprogram and I suspect that has an affect as well. Hard to really notice the power gains since (1) I have snow tires and its winter time (2) I did not have much time with the car before the mods. I suspect it will get faster as the unit learns because that is what I noticed in the X3Mc and by 10000 miles it really became a rocket ship. Also I probably will do an exhaust either M Performance or Akrapovic and maybe DPs but I am not sure I want to do catless. I like the Keller Motorsports ones, really sharp looking with first rate construction but I think they are catless. Will see what Ben comes up with in the future

Noushy
Thank you for your business.
Appreciate 1
noushy1657.00