M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Driver Profile Gremlin?

01-30-2020, 05:06 PM   #1
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Driver Profile Gremlin?

Had my first electronic gremlin in the M850i today regarding driver profile recognition. Drove it this morning to the detailer for a maintenance wash and all was well. Drove it from there to the office and same story. However, on the drive home I at first didn't notice an issue as I followed the well baked in process that takes place now without any thought whatsoever: press sport (sets to Individual), press start and put my phone on the wireless charger (watch to make sure JBV1 starts up correctly and connects to my Valentine 1).

As I drove out of the parking lot I realized my iDrive 7 home screen was wrong (basically the default settings). At the first stop light I looked and the Driver Profile was set to Guest. I tried to set it to mine several times but it wouldn't budge. Stopped at the grocery store and on leaving same scenario. The only thing I could think of is an iDrive update so tried to find that setting but under general settings remote update was not showing.

Thought maybe I had the iDrive update setting location wrong so after returning home I checked the forum for the thread on that and sure enough it should have been where I was looking. Just went out to the car and this time it recognized the key properly and had my profile on entry. Checked the remote update under general settings and this time it is a menu option but I'm still at the same iDrive release.

So lesson #1 is iDrive remote update is not available to the guest profile which makes 100% sense. Lesson #2 is I just hit my first gremlin. Took the pics when I first arrived home with yet another failed attempt at setting the profile.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 07:21 PM   #2
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Raymond, that happened to me from time to time in the early days (about eight months ago), but not recently. Is there any chance your second key was in the vicinity of the car? That throws off the profile recognition system, big time.

My two other gremlins still show up every now and then: 1. The radio presets don't show in the HUD. If I shut off the car and let it reset for about eight minutes, the presets reappear. 2. The embedded garage door opener doesn't close the garage door. I've troubleshot that one from all directions and it still happens about once a month.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 09:35 PM   #3
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
Raymond, that happened to me from time to time in the early days (about eight months ago), but not recently. Is there any chance your second key was in the vicinity of the car? That throws off the profile recognition system, big time.

My two other gremlins still show up every now and then: 1. The radio presets don't show in the HUD. If I shut off the car and let it reset for about eight minutes, the presets reappear. 2. The embedded garage door opener doesn't close the garage door. I've troubleshot that one from all directions and it still happens about once a month.
First off now everybody knows my name given the screen shots. However, I go by Ray but the connected app tied to my BMW profile and BMW FS account has my full name.

That aside it is one of the things I considered however the 2nd key was nowhere near the car when I drove home from the office. In fact it is buried in the master bedroom closet so not even a player when I'm here at the house.

The irony is my wife asked me if she has a key to the M850i as I have one to her X5 (which recognizes my profile flawlessly every time I drive). The answer was "yes" but every time she's been in the M850i with me she's made comments as to it would scare her to drive it. I attribute that sentiment on her part as to although I'm still in the 1200 mile break in and keep the RPM below 4500 and MPH under 100 I still DILYSI.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2020, 10:41 AM   #4
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

My wife keeps mentioning that, after a year with an 850 in the garage, she still hasn’t driven it even once. I keep responding, “Hmmm.”
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 03:04 PM   #5
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
First off now everybody knows my name given the screen shots. However, I go by Ray but the connected app tied to my BMW profile and BMW FS account has my full name.

That aside it is one of the things I considered however the 2nd key was nowhere near the car when I drove home from the office. In fact it is buried in the master bedroom closet so not even a player when I'm here at the house.

The irony is my wife asked me if she has a key to the M850i as I have one to her X5 (which recognizes my profile flawlessly every time I drive). The answer was "yes" but every time she's been in the M850i with me she's made comments as to it would scare her to drive it. I attribute that sentiment on her part as to although I'm still in the 1200 mile break in and keep the RPM below 4500 and MPH under 100 I still DILYSI.
Are we supposed to have two regular keys? All I received was one regular key, a display key (mine;s a 19) and some aux non electronic keys. The display key is too big to carry every day.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 03:09 PM   #6
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My wife keeps mentioning that, after a year with an 850 in the garage, she still hasn’t driven it even once. I keep responding, “Hmmm.”
I see you have a 19, how many keys did you get? We received one regular electronic key, a display key and some aux non electronic key.

Last edited by RJC-1; 01-31-2020 at 04:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 03:23 PM   #7
likegadgets
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

I have a 19 as well. One Display key, one regular key, one NFC card
Appreciate 1
RJC-11281.00
      01-31-2020, 03:43 PM   #8
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by likegadgets View Post
I have a 19 as well. One Display key, one regular key, one NFC card
Thanks, did they give you the metal aux key too? I did not receive the NFC card from the delarship with my packet.

Last edited by RJC-1; 01-31-2020 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 05:05 PM   #9
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
I see you have a 19, how many keys did you get? We received one regular electronic key, a display key and some aux non electronic key.
With my 2019, I received the regular electronic key, the display key and the card. I keep the display key (which I regularly charge, just in case) and the card inside the house and far from the car.

I just use the regular key. I would have loved to use the display key, but it's just too bulky.
Appreciate 1
RJC-11281.00
      01-31-2020, 06:37 PM   #10
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
With my 2019, I received the regular electronic key, the display key and the card. I keep the display key (which I regularly charge, just in case) and the card inside the house and far from the car.

I just use the regular key. I would have loved to use the display key, but it's just too bulky.
It's odd you guys didn't get the metal long key too.
Unfortunately no nfc for me, yet another thing the dealer screwed up on. So glad I'll be working with another dealer for service etc, who's already ordered the nfc for me and they even offered (w/o my even asking) to look into getting it paid for since I never got mine. Guess which dealer I'd buy from or recommend to others?

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 12:15 PM   #11
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It's odd you guys didn't get the metal long key too.
Unfortunately no nfc for me, yet another thing the dealer screwed up on. So glad I'll be working with another dealer for service etc, who's already ordered the nfc for me and they even offered (w/o my even asking) to look into getting it paid for since I never got mine. Guess which dealer I'd buy from or recommend to others?
For my 2020 all I received was two standard electronic keys. I commented on the lack of NFC key to my SA and he'd said they'd order me one (gratis) so now just need to follow-up on that. That said when I was doing my research into the digital key early last year to determine if it truly was tied to Samsung as stated or if I would stand a chance with my Pixel 3 XL I found a thread on the X5 forum extensively discussing the topic.

From that thread I learned the Pixel was out but discovered the NFC card option. Also based on that thread it is apparent that it is totally hit and miss as to whether one will come with the vehicle on delivery. Thus, I was not surprised when I didn't receive one and hence the mention to my SA.

Can you snap a pic of the metal long key? It sounds like they are rare and you may end up with a collector's item.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 12:49 PM   #12
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For my 2020 all I received was two standard electronic keys. I commented on the lack of NFC key to my SA and he'd said they'd order me one (gratis) so now just need to follow-up on that. That said when I was doing my research into the digital key early last year to determine if it truly was tied to Samsung as stated or if I would stand a chance with my Pixel 3 XL I found a thread on the X5 forum extensively discussing the topic.

From that thread I learned the Pixel was out but discovered the NFC card option. Also based on that thread it is apparent that it is totally hit and miss as to whether one will come with the vehicle on delivery. Thus, I was not surprised when I didn't receive one and hence the mention to my SA.

Can you snap a pic of the metal long key? It sounds like they are rare and you may end up with a collector's item.
Here's the metal key.
I thought I had read the NFC won't work with IPhones, is that correct?
One advantage of a 19 appears to be the display key, as I also read here no DK for 20 M850's, only M8's. I would have rather had the drive recorder than the giant key lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 02:02 PM   #13
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Here's the metal key.
I thought I had read the NFC won't work with IPhones, is that correct?
One advantage of a 19 appears to be the display key, as I also read here no DK for 20 M850's, only M8's. I would have rather had the drive recorder than the giant key lol
Yes, no NFC for iPhones as according to others Apple has NFC locked down to ApplePay only for security reasons. As for the 2020 M850i's no longer having Display Keys that's what my SA told me and Noushy confirmed a display key with his 2020 M8C.

That metal key looks to be the same thing that is part of the standard electronic keys to lock the glove box for valeting (think the trunk is set within iDrive to disable it for same purpose).
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 02:13 PM   #14
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, no NFC for iPhones as according to others Apple has NFC locked down to ApplePay only for security reasons. As for the 2020 M850i's no longer having Display Keys that's what my SA told me and Noushy confirmed a display key with his 2020 M8C.

That metal key looks to be the same thing that is part of the standard electronic keys to lock the glove box for valeting (think the trunk is set within iDrive to disable it for same purpose).
Wonder why I received an extra and others haven't?

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 02:52 PM   #15
NOMRW8NG
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:
Wonder why I received an extra and others haven't?
I received the electronic key, the display key, the metal key, and an NFC card.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 03:00 PM   #16
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMRW8NG View Post
I received the electronic key, the display key, the metal key, and an NFC card.
You hit the quad-fecta

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 05:04 PM   #17
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You hit the quad-fecta
No doubt! As for the metal key, the only thing I can think of but could not verify for sure looking at some DK images is whether it has an integrated physical key like the standard electronic keys do. So my theory for now is it is a partner to the digital key. Can anybody with a DK confirm there is no integrated physical key?

That said now that I know a 2019 includes a DK and standard electronic key I feel a bit let down with the 2020. Sure the DK is gimmicky, too large for every day use, etc. but for a grin once in a while I may have used it, e.g., demoing the out of car parking for my older relatives whom have no clue that Tesla Smart Summon even exists.

Also, the DK could have been the wife's key as for a woman it works fine in a purse. The added benefit being it would be dead from any battery life 99% of the time sitting in the basket on the master bedroom dresser we store our car keys in. So on the occasion the wife decided to take the M850i to run an errand I'd be like as to why it wouldn't work. Love her to the moon and back but I won't even valet the M850i as I don't want anybody else driving it.

Lastly, I'll state the obvious but it is somewhat flabbergasting that BMW cannot deliver a simple thing like a full set of keys for a $115K plus car. For me no NFC. For the 2019 owners at least 1 if not two things missing (NFC and/or physical key). It shouldn't be that hard to deliver a flawless customer experience from a set of keys aspect.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 05:21 PM   #18
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No doubt! As for the metal key, the only thing I can think of but could not verify for sure looking at some DK images is whether it has an integrated physical key like the standard electronic keys do. So my theory for now is it is a partner to the digital key. Can anybody with a DK confirm there is no integrated physical key?

That said now that I know a 2019 includes a DK and standard electronic key I feel a bit let down with the 2020. Sure the DK is gimmicky, too large for every day use, etc. but for a grin once in a while I may have used it, e.g., demoing the out of car parking for my older relatives whom have no clue that Tesla Smart Summon even exists.

Also, the DK could have been the wife's key as for a woman it works fine in a purse. The added benefit being it would be dead from any battery life 99% of the time sitting in the basket on the master bedroom dresser we store our car keys in. So on the occasion the wife decided to take the M850i to run an errand I'd be like as to why it wouldn't work. Love her to the moon and back but I won't even valet the M850i as I don't want anybody else driving it.

Lastly, I'll state the obvious but it is somewhat flabbergasting that BMW cannot deliver a simple thing like a full set of keys for a $115K plus car. For me no NFC. For the 2019 owners at least 1 if not two things missing (NFC and/or physical key). It shouldn't be that hard to deliver a flawless customer experience from a set of keys aspect.
Checked, DK has no physical key. I'll trade ya, send me your DR and I'll send you my DK lol

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 06:41 PM   #19
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:

Great post. I had not thought about it the way you have framed it but spot on. Australia is virtually cashless these days and it is moving to be cardless. The latest innovation here in Sydney is the State Government have now enabled the digital drivers licence which sits inside their app on your phone. Previously not carrying your physical drivers licence was a $120 fine. So when I leave the house these days I just take my phone - no wallet required. But wait what is that other lump in my pocket (please!) - why its my large BMW key - because there is no NFC on my iPhone.

For the record my 2019 has regular key, digital key, credit card key and manual key. But to your point, all of your points bloozemanAZ, it's a dysfunctional mess!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 07:00 PM   #20
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
Great post. I had not thought about it the way you have framed it but spot on. Australia is virtually cashless these days and it is moving to be cardless. The latest innovation here in Sydney is the State Government have now enabled the digital drivers licence which sits inside their app on your phone. Previously not carrying your physical drivers licence was a $120 fine. So when I leave the house these days I just take my phone - no wallet required. But wait what is that other lump in my pocket (please!) - why its my large BMW key - because there is no NFC on my iPhone.

For the record my 2019 has regular key, digital key, credit card key and manual key. But to your point, all of your points bloozemanAZ, it's a dysfunctional mess!
So now for the record we have two quad-fectas in getting a full set of keys! It's been about 10 years now since my last trip to Australia (an amazing experience) but my last few business trips to Japan and China also indicate the movement to 100% cashless via mobile pay (ApplePay, Samsung Pay, etc.) so here in the US we are way behind. Here in the US from an automotive perspective the best thing we have is most auto insurers have a mobile app with your insurance card available.
Appreciate 0