M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion 840i color choice HELP

01-27-2020, 11:00 AM   #1
konok99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

840i color choice HELP

Can’t decide which one to buy 🤔

1. Sonic speed blue vs Barcelona blue

2. Two tone fionared vs one tone cognac

Any opinion ? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 02:11 PM   #2
Art__Vandelay
Lieutenant Colonel
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 xDrive

1. Barcelona Blue
2. Cognac (although I prefer the Tartufo), mostly because I'm not a fan of red interios

But at the end of the day, you have to like it.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 02:40 PM   #3
DRA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Comp, 2018 BMW X5

I would go with Barcelona Blue, it looks a bit more classy IMO
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 03:53 PM   #4
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Either blue is nice, but blue with a red interior isn't the best combo imho (no offense meant to those that have it).

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 05:19 PM   #5
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

Would not do the red with either blue the joke on the F85 forum was superman. I had the long beach blue with aragon similar to cognac on my F85. Blues work with silverstone, white, tans, or black. I had sakhir with my brilliant white M6. Personally sonic speed blue is too boy racer which is why I went with Marina Bay. Barcelona is classy and looks great with the tan/browns. My dealership has a launch edition in the showroom with the frozen version.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 06:52 PM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Long story but I built my M850i around full Fiona Red/Black after falling in love with it. However, it locked my brain into picking exteriors I thought easily matched, e.g., Carbon Black, Sapphire Black, Mineral White and Dravit Grey. Since I'm not a fan of black exteriors and my wife's X5 is Mineral White (she will only have a white car) I zoned in on Dravit Grey. So I placed my first order with Dravit Grey as the exterior and thanks to a BMW SNAFU it became useless. The second order to fix the SNAFU was also initially ordered with Dravit Grey.

However, I started to see a couple of 2019 Sonic Speed Blue's with the Fiona Red/Black interior showing up in inventory so I investigated that. They were out of state so the best thing I could do was view the pictures. To Noushy's point then I discovered the "Superman" love or hate on several Bimmerpost forums. So I dug in further and from a color spectrum standpoint blue and red do go together as they are primary colors. However, they need to be dark versions of the colors to do so or on the spectrum wheel they start to clash.

While my 2nd order was still active I was not able to see a Sonic Speed Blue exterior in person but both GratefulM5 and mptpa posted in the "8 series owners post your pics got damnit!!!" thread (https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1625382) with mptpa's showcasing Fiona Red/Black as the interior as well. Ultimately though I was able to see a Tanzanite Blue in person and fell in love with it as it is a dark blue that stuns during the day and literally looks near black at night. So I updated the order to Tanzanite Blue. While the car was being built I then stumbled across Mat Watson's long-term M850i video review and low and behold it is Tanzanite Blue with Fiona Red/Black and not like I needed him to say he loved the color scheme but it just sealed the deal.

Everyone has their personal likes and dislike so it truly all comes down to you. That said from my opinion if you want Barcelona Blue as the exterior that puts you with Cognac or Tartufo/Black as the interior. If Sonic Speed Blue then both the Fiona Red/Black or Cognac will work. Once again I stress that is just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 08:24 PM   #7
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Classic black with those lighter blues would be great too, especially now that there's a black option with the M Colors on the piping.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 09:12 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
A couple of night time garage pics so you can see the Tanzanite Blue and Fiona Red/Black color scheme. Sonic Speed Blue will work as well but once again in my opinion the $1950 for Tanzanite is absolutely worth every penny. Side note is not sure why Bimmerpost reorients the first shot to sideways as the original image is vertical.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 01:52 PM   #9
tonywalker
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i xDrive

The more colors BMW releases for regular 8 series and M8 the more I understand that original 8 series concept paint would be perfect for me. They called it Barcelona Grey Liquid (exclusively developed for concept). Excellently balanced on dark/light, deep greyish-blue with highly iridescent effect - gives amazing contrasts of light playing on the surfaces! just love it..

Barcelona blue is in the same direction, but feels more pale..

Wondering why they didn't offer concept's paint as an option. I also do not see this one in Individual paints. I assume it would be a good commercial practice to offer color option as close as possible to the Concept color scheme. If designers selected this color as perfect match for presenting the car why not to offer this in production?.. Smth that they did with M8 GC green first edition.
Appreciate 1
Jim-Bow130.50
      01-28-2020, 02:22 PM   #10
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Between those two choices sonic speed. I don't like Barcelona Blue at all.

I prefer the darker color blues. MBB, Tanzanite, etc
      01-31-2020, 07:26 PM   #11
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
konok99 I have Barcelona Blue with Tartufo/Black.

My story is I have changed the color of my cars regularly and have enjoyed that. My last 6 colors prior to the 850 were dark blue, burgundy, white, silver, grey and black. All were standard colors except for the last one which was an individual, Citrin Black.

When the 850 was released in Oz, the color range was limited, it still is, no individual colors are available. So I went through a process of elimination. Black - sorry but for me never again - too hard to wash and clean - shows all imperfections - so the two black variations were out. For similar reasons white also out, just not a massive fan of white. Sunset Orange looked great in the showroom, but not my style, that was out. Sonic blue very straight forward but lacked that something which would feel a little unique on the road, so that was out. Which left Dravit Grey or Barcelona Blue. I went for Barcelona as it took me back to blue which I had not had for a long time, it is (in my eyes) sort of a Petrol Blue which is a little unique and special and a color that features in other aspects of my life.

Interior choice was more straight forward as the Tartufo/Black just made the interior pop for me, and again just felt a little more unique over a solid black, white or tan.

Experience so far is I could not be happier. I get a lot of very positive comments on the car color itself. It still looks great if I have not washed it for a couple of weeks. BMW have done some sort of magic with the pigmentation of the paint as it looks different in different light and circumstances. Full sun it lightens up and looks a bit "milky" with an almost purple tinge. In the shade it gets back more to the petrol blue. When it is wet after driving through the rain in the garage it becomes a bit more metallic which I love.

Interior could not be happier with the colors, it just works.

Let us know what you decide and post your pics.

Appreciate 1
John H.221.00