M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion A Little Drive Recorder Fun

01-28-2020, 09:57 PM   #1
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
A Little Drive Recorder Fun

Was playing with Drive Recorder on the commute into the office this morning. Nothing nearly as exciting as Drunken_Russian_American's Laguna Seca posting but rather just an experiment on my part. Normally have Drive Recorder set to capture 20 seconds before and after with all cameras on and auto activation in case of impact (figure good in case of an accident). Configured just the front and rear cameras for the test but now know to see if can only set for 20 seconds buffer after or none at all.

My favorite part of the commute which includes a short highway run and found me at the front left of a 3-turn lane onto the onramp. Still in the 1200 mile break-in period so kept the RPMs under 4500 along with under 100MPH. Still hit the freeway passing cars already on it and everyone else lost in the rearview camera.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 01-28-2020 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 10:05 PM   #2
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
Cool. How long does it record?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 10:13 PM   #3
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Cool. How long does it record?
About 40 seconds but apparently I'm going to need help on how to embed a YouTube video as although it's showing up in the post it just spins when I click to play.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 10:32 AM   #4
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

The video is playing fine now, and is quite cool. What package included the drive recorder in the 2020s? My 2019 has all the toys, but they don't combine to include drive recorder. I wonder if that will come in the software update (that I've been trying to avoid).
- Retired: Three Lexuses.

Last edited by redhot47fla; 01-29-2020 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 11:29 AM   #5
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
While cool in concept, this is another example where Germans are too conservative/slow to embrace tech and develop a great use case.
Tesla wasted no time to make additional use of its cameras but there are too many limitations on the Drive recorder to make it useful IMO.

1. get better cameras- 4K 60hz. - great resolution to capture license plates day/night/poor weather.
2. Continuous recording with upload to BMW Connected Drive Cloud - Would actually be worth a subscription fee (to me)
3. Opt-in to record drive data on screen (gps data, date/time stamp, speed)
4. Parking protection with extended recording up to 7 days - this would fit well with the remote view functionality

Would be easy to make this a selectable option when buying the car. Get base functionality for free, pay $500 for a full dash cam security package.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 02:15 PM   #6
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Just spoke w/BMW NA, the drive recorder is a new app for MY 2020 and is n/a on 2019's. I asked if it's available as a paid app and was told no b/c it's not compatible, even though we are running the same I drive. That sux, would have gladly paid for it.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible

Last edited by RJC-1; 01-29-2020 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2020, 06:24 PM   #7
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Just spoke w/BMW NA, the drive recorder is a new app for MY 2020 and is n/a on 2019's. I asked if it's available as a paid app and was told no b/c it's not compatible, even though we are running the same I drive. That sux, would have gladly paid for it.
Yes, it is baked into the 2020 full Driving Assistance Package (ZDA) vs the watered down BS Driving Assistance Package 2 (ZDX) which they have finally eradicated in early January from the BMW NA website. Final rant on that is my first order last August with the ZDX package that could not be changed due to the Individual factory lock date drove me to the new order to get ZDA primarily for the 3D View (so useful) and Parking Assistant Plus (figured I could use it for parallel parking). Drive Recorder was a pleasant surprise.

That said I do not understand why it is not compatible with the 2019s with iDrive 7 as well. I'm going to guess the same camera system is in the 2019s and the app itself is purely software driven. The only thing I can think of is there are new sensors on the 2020's that enable the automatic feature to capture the pre/post footage in case of impact. Even if that is the case one would think that option to just not be available for the 2019s and the self-capture would work regardless.
Appreciate 1
RJC-11279.50
      01-29-2020, 06:34 PM   #8
DRA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Comp, 2018 BMW X5

I wish they have added a track mode with GPS, speed, tachometer, lap time and allow you to record at least 20 minutes straight...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 06:36 PM   #9
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
While cool in concept, this is another example where Germans are too conservative/slow to embrace tech and develop a great use case.
Tesla wasted no time to make additional use of its cameras but there are too many limitations on the Drive recorder to make it useful IMO.

1. get better cameras- 4K 60hz. - great resolution to capture license plates day/night/poor weather.
2. Continuous recording with upload to BMW Connected Drive Cloud - Would actually be worth a subscription fee (to me)
3. Opt-in to record drive data on screen (gps data, date/time stamp, speed)
4. Parking protection with extended recording up to 7 days - this would fit well with the remote view functionality

Would be easy to make this a selectable option when buying the car. Get base functionality for free, pay $500 for a full dash cam security package.
Agree with all the points. #4 would be equivalent to Tesla's Sentry Mode which I'd love to have. I think the catch-22 is it would run down the battery but no differently than to how Tesla handles this the IoT on the car would turn it off if the voltage would drop below a safe number.

My boss has a Model 3 and here in AZ the absolute best feature is constant cabin temperature control, i.e., if his car is charged up he can set it at 78 degrees in the summer and the car will keep it at that level while in the office parking lot unless it starts to impact the battery charge to some set threshold (assuming a set mileage range, e.g., 100 which is generally good enough in any metropolitan area to get home).

He was surprised when I showed him the remote 3D view as he said he'd love that on his Tesla. Catch-22 of course is that was back in early December and the feature hasn't worked since then.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 06:45 PM   #10
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Yes, it is baked into the 2020 full Driving Assistance Package (ZDA) vs the watered down BS Driving Assistance Package 2 (ZDX) which they have finally eradicated in early January from the BMW NA website. Final rant on that is my first order last August with the ZDX package that could not be changed due to the Individual factory lock date drove me to the new order to get ZDA primarily for the 3D View (so useful) and Parking Assistant Plus (figured I could use it for parallel parking). Drive Recorder was a pleasant surprise.

That said I do not understand why it is not compatible with the 2019s with iDrive 7 as well. I'm going to guess the same camera system is in the 2019s and the app itself is purely software driven. The only thing I can think of is there are new sensors on the 2020's that enable the automatic feature to capture the pre/post footage in case of impact. Even if that is the case one would think that option to just not be available for the 2019s and the self-capture would work regardless.
Thanks, mine has both DA pkgs (DA+DA Pro) and according to BWW it will still not work, and i agree with 19's and 20's both utilizing I-7 it should . I think what may be going on is BMW wants people to feel good about getting 20's vs 19's and it's a way to help them justify the price increase, which in all fairness makes sense. Now, not having the app available for 19 850's as an extra cost is foolish on BMW's part and maybe (BMW are you listening?) they will make it available at one point in the near future.

Hell, I still cant get my remote view to work even after having things escalated, tickets created etc by BMW USA. The beat goes on...

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 07:15 PM   #11
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Thanks, mine has both DA pkgs (DA+DA Pro) and according to BWW it will still not work, and i agree with 19's and 20's both utilizing I-7 it should . I think what may be going on is BMW wants people to feel good about getting 20's vs 19's and it's a way to help them justify the price increase, which in all fairness makes sense. Now, not having the app available for 19 850's as an extra cost is foolish on BMW's part and maybe (BMW are you listening?) they will make it available at one point in the near future.

Hell, I still cant get my remote view to work even after having things escalated, tickets created etc by BMW USA. The beat goes on...
Since I had the 2019 DA and DA Pro packages memorized before being told in July I'd have to wait to place an order for a 2020 your 2019 DA is everything in a 2020 DA (ZDA) minus the Drive Recorder. The plus on your end is with the 2019's and Digital Key (apparently on the M8/M8C's based on Noushy's input) you can do the out of car Parking Assistant Plus feature.

Once again if BMW get's their act together they can add that to the Connected app and everyone could use it minus the 2020's that were built with the BS watered down DA ZDX package like my first build. That also assumes they can get the Connected app features to work 100% of the time.
Appreciate 0